Triple Crown Day - 12th August

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Elsie
Zone 3

Re: Triple Crown Day - 12th August

Post by Elsie »

I was happy with trams. I came in just ... by the skin of my teeth ... under 2 hours!

I texted my times for all 3 and total time to Rich and Kev.
Elsie
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

And the results are in:

DLR:

1.Rob 02:04:00
2.David 02:06:35
3.Andi 02:06:37 (1)
4.Glen & Hugo 02:07:32
5.Kev 02:07:47
6.Nick 02:08:30
7.Elsie 02:11:08
8.Al 02:11:34
9.Me 02:20:27

Bottle:

1.Kev 01:57:47
2.Al 02:01:37
3.Me 02:07:35
4.Glen & Hugo 02:10:23
5.Elsie 02:10:33
6.Nick 02:13:16
7.David 02:20:13
8.Rob 02:30:30

Tramlink:

1.Glen & Hugo 01:39:08
2.Al 01:54:49
=3.Rob 01:55:37 (2)
=3.David 01:55:37
5.Me 01:56:20
6.Kev 01:57:21
7.Elsie 01:59:55
8.Nick 02:00:16

Full Challenge:

1.Glen & Hugo 06:25:02
2.Kev 06:52:55
3.Al 06:54:15
4.David 06:56:15
5.Rob 07:00:13
6.Nick 07:01:48
7.A2 07:05:29 (3)
8.Me 07:08:28
9.Elsie 07:46:47 (4)

Notes:
(1) Having completed the DLR, Andi withdrew partway through the Bottle Challenge so recorded no time for the Bottle, Tramlink or full challenge, As he didn't make it to the pub, his certificate for the DLR is on its way by KevPost!
(2) Rob recorded an approximate time of 1:57:00, however he had done his entire Tramlink leg in company with David who had recorded an accurate 01:55:37. Therefore I have awarded Rob this time too (having done so I realised it cost me a place!).
(3) A2 only recorded a Combined time but no time for the individual legs. However it would seem had he done so, he would have received a certificate for one leg (I can't remember which).
(4) Circular route.

Tangy - please can you update ExplorerTicket with these times? Thanks

My own attempt was somewhat disappointing. Having contrived to arrive at Beckton 45 minutes early(!) I considered an 11:01 start but being unsure whether the timings would transpose directly by half an hour I decided to start at 11:31 as planned. So down to Canning Town and a 5 minute wait on the same platform for a Stratford International train. Back to Stratford, where I had 1 minute to change to the other line and made it with 2 minutes to spare(!). Down to Poplar, then across to Woolwich Arsenal, where it all went wrong (why is it always Woolwich Arsenal?) - I had the Lewisham train down as 12:43, it was in fact 12:54 and turned up 3 minutes late in addition! So now 15 down, which was compounded after the Bank doubleback by a 5 minute wait for a Tower Gateway at Shadwell (now 20 down). Out of TG, first leg complete and pegged it up the road to Aldgate where I reasoned that as I was 20 down and the Circle Line frequency is every 10 minutes, a Circle train should have been waiting for me. Instead I had a five minute wait. Round the bottom to Bayswater, run to Queensway just in time to see the doors of a Central Line train close. 4 minute wait for the next one. Across the Liverpool Street, Edgware Road, Paddington, Charing Cross without incident, no time gained back but no more lost either. Up to Euston where disaster struck again. Running to the Victoria line platforms, I forgot that Southbound northern line and Southbound Victoria line go in opposite directions! Back to Warren Street then back to KX and on the Picc to Knightsbridge. So a disappointing time for that leg too, which could otherwise have had the potential to be a PB. Finally, down to Wimbledon for the trams - running 34 minutes late. By now my planning was completely out of the window (I had hoped I could claw things back to a half hour delay which might have put things back on to plan, but it wasn't to be). Ran/walked to Georges Road and met Nick, who I completed the challenge with, apart from a slightly bizarre moment when I chose to jump on a bus at the stop immediately prior to Birkbeck station and got taken to the next stop an equivalent distance beyond it and also uphill. A ten minute wait at Beckenham tipped both of us over seven hours - with hindsight perhaps it would have been better to have let the Elmers End tram we caught from Georges Road go and wait for a Becknham there instead.

Thanks to everybody who took part - it was good to see (most) of you at the finish. Kev has already said he will do better next time, which sounds as if I may have to organise it again...
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

yes maybe make it an annual advent u could even name it after yourself actually I could have won dlr as the train behind me would have also made my connection at Stratford. I was surprised I saw no one apart from Kevin briefly as I ran kgv all way to beckton typical no bus and could see tram knowing I never make it decided to run around the roundabout never done before but gave me ideas.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

dstock17 wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 07:59 was surprised I saw no one apart from Kevin briefly as I ran kgv all way to beckton
And the next person I saw was A2 at Southwark around 7pm :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Likewise until I saw Nick in Croydon I hadn't seen anybody all day. But then with 120 stations to go at, and such widely spaced starting options, it's perhaps not too surprising.

That said, I get the impression quite a few people started at Beckton while I was in Asda!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

RJSRdg wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 17:32 That said, I get the impression quite a few people started at Beckton while I was in Asda!
I was at Beckton enjoying the sunshine for a good 10 mins or and didn't see a soul...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

My 3 legs should be summed up as "Horrendous", "OK" and "Meh"...

The day nearly went wrong before it even started thanks to a late wake up in Bham but just managed to make it to my starting station on the correct train :D I started with the Bottle which turned out to be the wrong decision thanks to a broken train at Mile End and an inconsistent Circle line service... by the end I was a good 20 mins down on schedule. The DLR went as expected apart from losing 5 mins at Stratford thanks to the crowds for the World Champs. The Tram went alright until me and Rob got off at the wrong stop in Croydon and had to double back at Wandle Park :roll:

In the end 40 mins down on time which wasn't great but I did enjoy attempting all these events again after not doing them for a while. Also big thanks and congratulations to Richard for a very well organised event :D
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I really want to do a more detailed write up but I have so much going on ATM, decorating, work and getting ready for a job interview in Sweden this Wednesday that (for once!), I'll have to be brief.

My train into Euston was delayed by 13 mins due to track problems near Rugby causing it to run slowly. After I got off, I went to Liverpool St as the Hamilton Hall pub is a good place a quick cuppa and, more importantly, it has nice, clean loos!

I will be honest and say that I did start early; I was always concerned about time today as I had to be back at Euston for the 20:31; even with the recce run I didn't know if I'd be able to get around the while thing in time so I started at 10:48 ... but it didn't do me any favours looking at the overall times!

Bottle
I caught the next Circle line train out of Liverpool St but started my stop watches (I had a phone recording the whole time and an individual stop watch for the sections) at Aldgate at 10:48
This went around to Gloucester Rd (11:12) where I swapped to the Piccadilly Line leaving at 11:17
KXSP at 11:36 and went to the H&C/C/Met line but didn't leave here until 11:41 - it felt like a long wait
Off at Liverpool St at 11:48 and down to the Central leaving promptly at 11:50 - although I was way out of position. At east stop I tried to move down carriages to get towards the back
All the way to Notting Hill Gate (12:11) I was out of position and it was bedlam. Everyone queuing to get from the platform to the escalators Arrghhh!
Got onto the C&D platform and left going south at 12:15
Arrived at HSK at 12:17 for a quick up and over for an approaching train to take me to Edgeware Road, leaving at 12:20
As the train got to Edgeware Road (12:28) it stopped, with the last 2 sets of doors not on the platform. It was an agonizing wait for the driver to reset and move the train forward so the doors would open.
Walked to the Bakerloo Edgeware Road and took a southbound train at 12:35
Off at Regents Park at 12:40 for the walk to Great Portland St, leaving at 12:45 and getting off at Euston Sq at 12:47
Another walk to Warren St to catch a southbound NL train finishing the bottle at Charing Cross at 12:58 in a time of 2 Hours, 10 minutes and 33 seconds.

Even though this is a PB for me, I was still disheartened that it wasn't closer to 2 hours - but I struggle with those Station-to-Station walks that you guys obviously run.

I stayed on the train down to Waterloo and this is where a serious delayed kicked in as I arrived on the platform at 13:04, 2 mins after a Wimbledon bound train had departed, meaning I had to wait until 13:17 for the next one :(

Trams
From my recce run I knew I need to be at the front of the Waterloo train so when I got off at Wimbledon it was straight onto the stairs. I had a spare 2 mins to buy some more liquids before catching the first tram, the 13:39 to New Addington.
This arrived at Reeves Corner at 14:00 but stupidly I thought I had to be at the back. D'oh. As I walked up Church St the boards said the next 3 trams were 1. Wimbledon, 2. Wimbledon. 3. Elmers End - 7 mins. This gave me hope as it would have been galling to be passed by a tram I wanted. I got to the George St stop as the Elmers End tram was pulling in.
This left at 14:08 and I traveled to Sandilands where I got off at 14:23
At 14:29 I caught the next New Addigton tram arriving there at 14:43, reversing course at 14:48 taking me back to Sandilands for 15:02
Only a short wait for an Elmers End tram which left at 15:04 taking me the next double back at 15:13, departing at 15:20 ... maybe I need to consider that walk to Hartington Road?!
Back to Arena at 15:22 for an agonizing 7 minute wait for a Beckenham Junction train. I knew this meant I was going to miss the 15:35 train from Beckenham Junction to Lewisham :(
Left Arena at 15:29 and arrived at Beckenham Junction at 15:38, three mins after the Lewisham train had left. Nadgers!

I completed the trams in 1 hour, 59 mins & 58 seconds - and as it's my 1st proper attempt, another PB!

The only good thing about missing the 15:35 was the fact that a) I could have a wee at the station, b) I bought some drinks and c) I could have some of my packed lunch, so it wasn't all bad. The train from BJ to Lewisham left at 16:05 and arrived in Lewisham at 16:17. On my recce a few weeks ago, I did it in 2h 11m and I was hoping to beat that as I knew where I was going.

DLR
I arrived onto the DLR platforms just as a train was leaving. :(
The next to Bank left at 16:24 where I changed at Canary Wharf (along with everyone else) to a Stratford bound train, departing CW at 16:41
I made sure I was at the front so I could get off quickly and caught at Stratford International train at 16:57 and the double back to Woolwich Arsenal left at 17:02
Woolwich Arsenal at 17:24 for the double back at 17:27, arriving at KGV at 17:30. I got off here and walked up Pier Road to wait for a 474 bus.
And wait.
And wait.
It didn't come until 17:46, I got off 3 stops later and fat man walked to Galleons Reach getting onto the platform as a train was coming in, leaving for Becton at 17:53.
Arrived at Becton at 17:54 and the double back left at 17:56 heading back into the city, arriving at Tower Gateway at 18:22 with a 6 minute wait before it left for Shadwell.
I caught the final challenge train at Shadwell at 18:31 and stepped off the train at Bank stopping the watch at 2 hours 11 mins and 8 seconds. That's two runs of the DLR using the same route and method that have been the same time.

Stats
[*]Final times for all three 2:10:33+1:59:58+2:11:08 = 6 Hours 21 mins & 8 seconds - but the final clock was 7 hours 46 mins and 47 seconds
[*]I lost 41 mins between completing the Bottle and starting the Trams
[*]I lost 46 mins between completing the Trams and starting the DLR
[*]I lost 16 mins waiting for a chuffing bus
[*]I used 27 trains/trams during the course of the day
[*]I drank approx 5 litres of fluids ... but didn't pee enough to fill en egg cup!

If i ever do something like this again, I need to be able to do it without the time constraint of train tickets, that and be fitter! I'll so try to make it 'flow' better. My original Bottle plan saw me finishing at High St Kensington which would have (had I been on a District Line train), seen me travelling directly to Wimbledon without the faff of a Waterloo change. I'd like to thank Richard for thinking of and organizing the event; it's a cracking idea and I really enjoyed it - but if I do this again I'm gonna make a weekend of it as, for me, it's too much in one day!

I'm sorry I didn't get to the pub but by the time I'd got there I would have had to be heading back to Euston - the only person I saw during the day was Al who saw me stretching my legs on the train home and said "Hello, is your name Andrew?" WTF? Then it twigged as he said he was looking at who was on the train that looked like they might be stupid enough to do a tube/tram/DLR challenge!

I took some photos as a I went around the course and they can be viewed via this link.
Elsie
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Woke up rather early after having not had much sleep at all that night of the night before to get an early train to Waterloo to make my way up to the pub for a quick cup of tea before having to leave rather early due to needing to be at Edgeware Road for the start of my Bottle. Got the circle line to Gloucester Road where I made a good change to the Piccadilly where I had a 1 minute wait. Train was held at Hyde Park Corner for a minute but I made some good changes at Green Park to the Victoria and at Victoria to the Circle/District. Got to Sloane Square and ran over to the other side and looked at the board with the routes on and couldn't see KXSP so I sprinted across to the other side and just missed a train going the way I had been going. I looked at the board there and realized that I had been at the correct platform all along and went back there. Fairly uneventful trip to KXSP although was held twice. Once at Aldgate to even out the intervals between the trains and at Farringdon due to a red signal. Had good changes at Piccadilly Circus to the Bakerloo and at Charing Cross to the Northern Line. I then got off at Warren Street and promptly turned the wrong way out of the station and then ended up back at Goodge Street as a result of the sense of direction failure. After a quick check with a bus driver that I had gone the wrong way, I then walked most of the way to Euston Square thoroughly annoyed with now that went. That and the map check at Great Portland Street to Regents Park meant I had lost some 10 minutes. I got lucky with a good double back at Paddington on the Bakerloo Line as I almost ran into an arch as the gap I was aiming for was narrowing rapidly. It did however mean I was trapped on the wrong side at Baker Street when I needed to change to the Jubilee. I was let out and then I went to Bond Street which was a meh change and finally on to Queensway where I made a great double back to be greeted with a 5 minute wait and a rather busy train indeed.

When I got off at Bank, I was held up a bit on the run but as the person who was holding me up was carrying a baby, I was cool with it. Apart from a 5 minutes wait at Shadwell, things were going well on the DLR and I came to the conclusion that I was going to run to KGV from Gallions Reach as I had nothing to loose if it went wrong. It went well, apart from the stitch that slowed me to a fast walk at times, kept going though and had a 3 minute wait at KGV but I was back on schedule at this point. I bumped into Hugo, A2, Al and Glen at Woolwich Arsenal as they were about to go on the run I had just done but in the other direction. I got lucky at Stratford getting to the other branch due to the increased police presence for the World Athletics Championships and I had to walk the first part at sprint the second and I only just made it to the train I needed. Rest of the route on the DLR was good and I had plenty of time at Lewisham to wait for the train to Beckenham Junction.

I made a good connection to the team and it was at this point I bumped into David and I had to just try and keep up on the runs, which I just about managed as I was knackered after Harrington Road to Elmers End. The rest went smoothly until we got to George Street and then we promptly had to outrun the team to Church Street which was on a fair old downhill gradient. Changes at Wandle Park to go to Wellesley Road and then run to George Street where we had a short wait before the next Wimbledon Tram. Got off at Wimbledon and got on to a Waterloo bound train where I managed to drop my provisional driving licence, thankfully someone found it and handed it back to me!

All in 7 hours and a smattering of seconds is a decent time for me but I reckon I can do better than that! Many thanks to Richard for the hosting and organisation of the event!
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

All times for the individual legs of this challenge now updated in the relevant section on Explorer Ticket.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Thanks Tangy :-)
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

tangy wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 11:19 All times for the individual legs of this challenge now updated in the relevant section on Explorer Ticket.
I sent you an e-mail with my times for the Triple Crown that I did a few days before the challenge. I'm particularly keen that my sub 2 hour bottle time gets listed.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

michael_churchill wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 21:40
tangy wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 11:19 All times for the individual legs of this challenge now updated in the relevant section on Explorer Ticket.
I sent you an e-mail with my times for the Triple Crown that I did a few days before the challenge. I'm particularly keen that my sub 2 hour bottle time gets listed.
Done now, I see. Thanks.