Couple visiting all British railway stations

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
andytube
Zone 2

Couple visiting all British railway stations

Post by andytube »

Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
andytube
Zone 2

Re: Couple visiting all British railway stations

Post by andytube »

Looks like they have a web site:

http://allthestations.co.uk
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Best wishes Geoff geofftech and Vicki for the second half of the adventure - I've really enjoyed following your travels so far

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Just my luck that I visit my local station the day after they go there. :evil:
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Tube Geek wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 21:15 Just my luck that I visit my local station the day after they go there. :evil:
well you should keep tabs on there Twitter shouldn't you not that its particulary reliable. interesting is that they have left 3 stations in south area which they have to come back for. other notices is it still amazes me how much spare money people had to fund this it's not like Geoff put any money into the project is it. 34,000 to fund what may be one the best filming of railways in Britain but also feels like a 75 day jolly up?
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

If somebody can cultivate a large fanbase through well produced and interesting videos, talks and tour-guides, I don't begrudge using that success to fund a documented adventure. I didn't pledge anything, but with all the free content I've been enjoying so far, I wouldn't have felt it wasted in the slightest.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I think I agree with crypto on that one - though it is nice work if you can get it!

There are more than three missing stations in the south (Dorking/Horsham area) as there are quite a lot of grey discs in the London area . There's also an odd one at Corby which is going to be awkward.

I'm guessing what's probably happened is that they might have lost a day/part of a day somewhere and rather than lose their accommodation bookings for the rest of the trip, they've just opted to go back and do most of those at the end. As Geoff lives in London (according to some of his other videos anyway!) that's not going to be too much of a hardship - Corby will be the stinker.

That said, as I don't think they're trying to set a record here, having to revisit stations to pick up stragglers isn't really an issue.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

dstock17 wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 22:15
Tube Geek wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 21:15 Just my luck that I visit my local station the day after they go there. :evil:
well you should keep tabs on there Twitter shouldn't you not that its particulary reliable. interesting is that they have left 3 stations in south area which they have to come back for. other notices is it still amazes me how much spare money people had to fund this it's not like Geoff put any money into the project is it. 34,000 to fund what may be one the best filming of railways in Britain but also feels like a 75 day jolly up?
I do, but they don't exactly pubilcise when they're going to little local stations.
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

He was on Radio 4 PM yesterday evening. Very good piece. I may (time permitting) try and find it in the iPlayer version.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

RJSRdg wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 00:21 There are more than three missing stations in the south (Dorking/Horsham area) as there are quite a lot of grey discs in the London area . There's also an odd one at Corby which is going to be awkward.

I'm guessing what's probably happened is that they might have lost a day/part of a day somewhere and rather than lose their accommodation bookings for the rest of the trip, they've just opted to go back and do most of those at the end. As Geoff lives in London (according to some of his other videos anyway!) that's not going to be too much of a hardship - Corby will be the stinker.
Yes, there was a signal failure at Dorking one day, and on another day their Thameslink was very late and they missed the Corby train. Annoying, but not too terrible to visit later considering where they live. Missing stations in the North or Scotland when they get there will cause them more headaches later on.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

And they still haven't been to the Isle of Wight!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Soon to be yet another forum train driver
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

greatkingrat wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 11:33 Yes they have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_bGlPyr7uc
It's a running joke on their twitter feed that they haven't done the Isle Of Wight - it was all faked! :wink:
Also, for the surprisingly many who ask "Are you doing <Station X>?" the standard response is "No. All the stations except <Station X>".
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I confess that it was seeing Geoff and Vicki visiting all the stations that made me think of dropping back into the forum here to see what's going on.

I really like how they've turned what could be very geeky / inward looking into an open adventure with all the videos and interaction. Really well played.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I drove them (by train) from Taunton to Exeter the day before they did Okehampton. Complete coincidence.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA