Triple Crown Day - 12th August

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Triple Crown Day

Post by greatkingrat »

michael_churchill wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 09:19 A warning that on 12 August, the first day of the next Premier League season, although there won't be a West Ham match at the London Stadium, it is the penultimate day of the World Athletics Championship, so the Stratford stations will be busy. For your information, the two sessions are 1000-1400 and 1700-2130 and the stadium will be filling up and emptying out for each. This is also the reason why I won't be doing the Triple Crown.
If you start on the DLR, you should be finished with Stratford before the morning session starts emptying out.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Sorry, I didn't mean to put the kibosh on anything. I just thought that you might think to check for football matches going on but that athletics might not be on your radar. It was just a heads-up. As mentioned, it may not affect you if you are already in the DLR system, but after 2:00 pm there is likely to be a lot more people trying to get on the DLR at Stratford and Stratford International. And 2:00 pm is a lot earlier than the usual rush after a football match. Besides, it may not be a full stadium full - if spectators have tickets for both sessions (like me) they may stick around the park or the shopping centre.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

It's also quite possible that the Chelsea and/or Arsenal matches will be moved once BT and Sky decide their schedules.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

greatkingrat wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 09:37
michael_churchill wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 09:19 A warning that on 12 August, the first day of the next Premier League season, although there won't be a West Ham match at the London Stadium, it is the penultimate day of the World Athletics Championship, so the Stratford stations will be busy. For your information, the two sessions are 1000-1400 and 1700-2130 and the stadium will be filling up and emptying out for each. This is also the reason why I won't be doing the Triple Crown.
If you start on the DLR, you should be finished with Stratford before the morning session starts emptying out.
That's what I meant to say!

It might not be too bad for anyone finishing on the DLR either as I would imagine most people heading for the athletics would be looking to arrive at Stratford station by 16:30 in order to give themselves enough time to walk to the stadium, get in and find their seats. Allowing 2 hours for Tramlink, 2 for the Bottle, half an hour to get from Tramlink to the Bottle and anything from half an hour to an hour and a half to get from Bank/TG to Stratford depending on route should enable Tramlink starters to miss the crowds as well.

It might be a different matter for anyone starting with the Bottle ( Bottle openers?) but I suspect there will be few of us doing that anyway as it places reliance on a half-hourly service to get between Tramlink and DLR (or vice versa).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Well, I've just run my original route through, and I am expecting 6 hours 29 minutes from it. But I've just discovered a truly beautiful quirk of the engineering works taking place on the 12th of August, and my entire route's just gone out of the window because I just HAVE to take advantage of this.

It's gonna be a great one...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Hmm... I hadn't thought to check National Rail for engineering works!

Not a showstopper by any means, but just to flag that there will be rail replacement buses between New Beckenham and Hayes on the day, which may affect anyone planning to start/finish their Tramlink leg at Elmer's End.

There will also be a direct service between Charing Cross and Beckenham Junction - which may be what TOO is alluding to, though I can't for myself see how it would be helpful. Of course, he could just be angling for a ride in one of the replacement buses! ;-)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

PS - mine works out at 6 hours 19...
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

to be honest I haven't planned any routes because the date is still up in air is it?
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I don't think the athletics is enough of a problem to justify moving it to a different date, so still 12th August.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

RJSRdg wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 21:00 Hmm... I hadn't thought to check National Rail for engineering works!

Not a showstopper by any means, but just to flag that there will be rail replacement buses between New Beckenham and Hayes on the day, which may affect anyone planning to start/finish their Tramlink leg at Elmer's End.

There will also be a direct service between Charing Cross and Beckenham Junction - which may be what TOO is alluding to, though I can't for myself see how it would be helpful. Of course, he could just be angling for a ride in one of the replacement buses! ;-)
TOO has been looking at Realtime Trains. TOO has spotted that said direct train service calls at Lewisham. TOO has seen that it's a 13 minute ride from Lewisham to Beckenham Junction. TOO has realised that 13 minutes is less than the amount of time you'd spend on the Wimbledon branch. TOO is now not planning to finish on the DLR...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Just a heads up - I am in London For the athletics on the 10th, and if I'm stiff around on the 12th then I will 99% be attending my first public challenge!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Hopefully not stiff though, or it could go badly wrong!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Iain wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 01:28 Hopefully not stiff though, or it could go badly wrong!
Haha! I meant still, of course.
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

If he's a stiff, hw won't be taking part at all....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

The 12th August is going to be a real issue for me TBH, is there any other possible day for this.... please....thanks.....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold