Triple Crown Day - 12th August

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Triple Crown Day

Post by RJSRdg »

TfL website is now saying that Shadwell-Bank is closed on 8th July (I'm sure it didn't say that last week!) so now by default we're down to 12th August (Glorious 12th!). Apologies to al and dstock.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Bugger that's a shame :( Not likely to change is it??
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

August 12th is fine we were thinking of wantsted flats parkrun beforehand.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

RJSRdg wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 23:03 TfL website is now saying that Shadwell-Bank is closed on 8th July (I'm sure it didn't say that last week!) so now by default we're down to 12th August (Glorious 12th!). Apologies to al and dstock.
It's not listed on the 6 month pdf, but is on the website so guessing it's a late addition.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

Now that the date has been moved to Aug 12th, I have a greater chance of attending. It’s not guaranteed, but it is a possibility.

I’ve planned a circular route, starting and ending at Bank; I’d do the Bottle first, Tram and finish with the DLR. I’d use this order to get the rushing out of the way early on (and I have a Bottle route I am excited about trying!), and it would return me to the city to for a train back home. It also suits my ‘autistic tendencies’ to complete the whole journey as a circle.
Elsie
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Haven't bothered route planning since I have no idea whether I'll be able to attend - but I'm probably going to be Lewisham -> New Addington because it's easy.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm gonna go with my 15 trains route (slower as it contains a bunch of silly runs that'll actually be walks) or my 21 trains route (faster because I'm actually going to use the train for my doubling back)...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Already got a route planned out using 24 trains and a few runs, only one of which I have done. Whether or not I can make it will depend on which country I am living in at the time and also how cheap the flights are if I'm not based in the UK at the time.
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I, too now have a route planned. I suspect the DLR could be a little quicker but I've been a bit conservative on the connections. The timings for all three sections are potentially personal bests for me (not difficult in two cases as the only other time I've done a DLR, Woolwich Arsenal station caught fire and I ended up on a mystery tour of Blackheath!, and I've never done a Tramlink challenge before - actually I did when it first opened, but not knowing there was a challenge, I didn't time it!). That said, all three times fall in the Top 5 times for their respective challenges on Explorer Ticket.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

It's unlikely ill be there, but do you HAVE to do them one after the other?
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Tube Geek wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 06:56 It's unlikely ill be there, but do you HAVE to do them one after the other?
Yes, see quote:
RJSRdg wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 23:14 Happy to drop the idea of returning to the starting network (not station), and Spoons Victoria sounds like a good choice.

The three legs should be done consecutively (but in any order), so any Bottle stations visited during the DLR stage would need to be revisited. Otherwise timing individual challenges gets very complicated!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

A warning that on 12 August, the first day of the next Premier League season, although there won't be a West Ham match at the London Stadium, it is the penultimate day of the World Athletics Championship, so the Stratford stations will be busy. For your information, the two sessions are 1000-1400 and 1700-2130 and the stadium will be filling up and emptying out for each. This is also the reason why I won't be doing the Triple Crown.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

michael_churchill wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 09:19 A warning that on 12 August, the first day of the next Premier League season, although there won't be a West Ham match at the London Stadium, it is the penultimate day of the World Athletics Championship, so the Stratford stations will be busy. For your information, the two sessions are 1000-1400 and 1700-2130 and the stadium will be filling up and emptying out for each. This is also the reason why I won't be doing the Triple Crown.
Hmmmm that doesn't sound good, just a thought does this have to be a Saturday or is there not a weekday we could use (as with most previous alternative challenges outside the R15 championship ???) Also avoiding August where leave is tricky due school hols....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Going Underground wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 12:24
michael_churchill wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 09:19 A warning that on 12 August, the first day of the next Premier League season, although there won't be a West Ham match at the London Stadium, it is the penultimate day of the World Athletics Championship, so the Stratford stations will be busy. For your information, the two sessions are 1000-1400 and 1700-2130 and the stadium will be filling up and emptying out for each. This is also the reason why I won't be doing the Triple Crown.
Hmmmm that doesn't sound good, just a thought does this have to be a Saturday or is there not a weekday we could use (as with most previous alternative challenges outside the R15 championship ???) Also avoiding August where leave is tricky due school hols....
london underground is busy no matter what u can't put things off just because of people traffic.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

SATURDAY 12TH AUGUST 2017
Arsenal vs Leicester at 15:00

Well, that throws a spanner in my works as well! I'd be wanting to be at the Emirates to see my beloved Foxes!
Elsie
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm with dstock on this - going for a weekday would mean at least one of the three challenges would end up being done in the evening peak, which could be worse.

Also:

1) A weekday means anyone travelling in for the event would probably have to get a peak ticket, given that Lewisham, Beckton and New Addington aren't the easiest starting places to get to from the northern or western termini. Coming from Reading the price goes up from £15 to £52

2) I'd rather use my Annual Leave up testing FNC routes!

The only station which will really be affected by the athletics is Stratford - I'd imagine most challengers will double back at Stratford International on the same train. Even then, I wouldn't expect Stratford station to be particularly busy while the athletics event is going on.