Triple Crown Day - 12th August

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Triple Crown Day - 12th August

Post by RJSRdg »

There was some discussion in the pub this afternoon about the possibility of another event during the summer as with the R15 season complete, the next planned events would now be R15 2017/18 Round 1 - 16th September or Cannon Street (Sometime around 19th) - over three months away!

I've mentioned before the possibility of a 'Triple Crown' challenge - i.e. completing the DLR, Bottle and Tramlink back-to-back in the shortest time. Looking at the TfL website, likely dates for this when all three networks are open are:

8th July
5th August
12th August

(29th July is also possible from an engineering point of view, but I can't make that date!).

What does everyone else think?
Last edited by RJSRdg on 07 Jul 2017, 21:29, edited 3 times in total.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: Triple Crown Day

Post by dstock17 »

that sounds a good idea especially now I swapped July 8th working. is parkrun included on all 3 beforehand?
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I think all of those dates are OK for me and yes I would defo be parkrunning as well....

The idea is that you keep your watch running the whole time and the starting point is your choice... You can of course record your individual times for each of the three sections for top times purposes as well...

Guessing the only other criteria would be a starting window time...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I think I'm free all 3 of those days and definitely would be interested in this :D In terms of a starting window, you're looking at 6-8 hours to complete all 3 so something like an 11am - 12pm window start?
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I've just remembered I have another engagement for 5th August so we're down to the other two dates.

Yes, 11am-noon starting window.
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

3 in one day .... that's nucking futs :lol:

I'm already in the dog house for coming down twice in a week so I'm banned from doing anything 'nice' but even if I could, I would not/could not commit to trying 3 in a day, especially when I've only used the DLR once and I've never been on a TFL tram, let alone have a route for either!
Elsie
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Elsie wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 12:34 3 in one day .... that's nucking futs :lol:

I'm already in the dog house for coming down twice in a week so I'm banned from doing anything 'nice' but even if I could, I would not/could not commit to trying 3 in a day, especially when I've only used the DLR once and I've never been on a TFL tram, let alone have a route for either!
Ha ha just fudge a route on the day :wink:

I am off to start route planning now especially as we have a window confirmed...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm still trying to figure out some of the logistics of this, particularly regarding the finish/post-event meet-up.

DLR to Bottle is an easy connection at either Bank or Tower Gateway/Tower Hill.

Bottle to Tramlink's a 25-30 minute connection down the District Line, every 5 minutes or so.

Tramlink to DLR's also about a 30 minute connection (10 minute run from Beckenham Junction to New Beckenham then train to Lewisham) but the trains on this line only run half hourly on Saturday.

So I suspect most people are likely to start/finish at either Beckton or Lewisham on the DLR or Beckenham Junction, Elmers End or New Addington on Tramlink. which is a bit of a nuisance for anyone arriving in London from the north or west!

I did wonder about adding a rule that in order to complete, you would need to return to a station on your starting network, which would mean all three connections could be used and would encourage more variety of starting points, but the downside would be that it could potentially add quite a bit of time to what is already a long challenge, as well as spreading out the finishing points even more!

Either way, finding a venue for the post-challenge meet up which is accessible from the different systems will take some thinking about - any suggestions?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

I don't really like the idea of the return to start station to be honest.....

Post challenge meet up, somewhere with good/quick connections and not too far from all of the 3 systems; Victoria Wetherspoons??
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Going Underground wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 09:51 I don't really like the idea of the return to start station to be honest.....

Post challenge meet up, somewhere with good/quick connections and not too far from all of the 3 systems; Victoria Wetherspoons??
Victoria Wetherspoons makes a lot of sense. The likely finishing stations are anywhere in the centre (Bottle), Beckton, Lewisham, Bank or Tower Gatweay (DLR) and Wimbledon, New Addington or Beckenham Junction (Tramlink). New Addington would be the furthest to get from (Tram to East Croydon and NR to Victoria = 45 mins). So if you started at 11am and took about 7 hours to complete the Triple Crown, most if not all people should be at Victoria for about 7pm.
David
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Can we also have a clarification on Bank station please? Do we have to only visit it once as it covers both a station in Bottle and DLR or do we have to visit twice, once when doing the Bottle and then leave there on a DLR train when completing the DLR section?

Following on from that point, is the idea to do the challenge as consecutive individual challenges joined up or just to visit all stations within those challenges?
David
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

xcooler123 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 11:04 Can we also have a clarification on Bank station please? Do we have to only visit it once as it covers both a station in Bottle and DLR or do we have to visit twice, once when doing the Bottle and then leave there on a DLR train when completing the DLR section?

Following on from that point, is the idea to do the challenge as consecutive individual challenges joined up or just to visit all stations within those challenges?
For a valid Bottle a visit to Bank LU would need to be done, also don't forget the Bakerloo stations in the NW part of the bottle that shown as being outside on the current tube map but for challenge purposes are definitely classed as inside....

Re the second point I guess as long as you visit all the stations on the DLR, Tramlink and inside The Bottle it doesn't matter if they are individually not completed prior to moving on to the next one? But Rich can maybe confirm on this one?
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

xcooler123 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 11:04 Can we also have a clarification on Bank station please? Do we have to only visit it once as it covers both a station in Bottle and DLR or do we have to visit twice, once when doing the Bottle and then leave there on a DLR train when completing the DLR section?
Surely, it's not a proper Bottle if you haven't visited Bank on LU and not a proper DLR if you only visit Bank on LU.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

xcooler123 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 11:04 Following on from that point, is the idea to do the challenge as consecutive individual challenges joined up or just to visit all stations within those challenges?
You wouldn't be able to claim top times for the three individual phases unless you did one after the other.

There may be some possible use in doing Tower Hill to Monument by District/Circle to help you finish the DLR, but I'd say that starts your Bottle if you don't go back to either.
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

If I were to consider this, would there be a start station that we'd all need to leave from at the same time?

I'd want to finish on the Bottle to be nearest to central London to either catch the train or be closer to my car and the M1. if I was in a position to do it, I'd be looking at Tram, DLR then Bottle.
Elsie