Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 6

Post by dstock17 »

surprisingly enough tangy for the 3rd year in a row u picked a date I was supposed to be working on fortunately I have swapped every Saturday now so I will turn up for this one round 1.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Excellent, I won - and the champion's twist is now under consideration.

There seem to be a number of fairly disruptive closures across the tube, and I have a couple of ideas now:

- Zones 2-4
- Zones 2-3 with National Rail included
- Leave the closed stations in, if one comes out take a picture of the outside
- Zones 2-3 with a Z1 start, but once you leave Z1 you can't come back (rerun of old twist)
- Stations not generated randomly, but by someone with an axe to grind with tube challengers
- Some bus routes thrown in (five at most): Not my preferred idea at the moment, but I'd like to see it happen sometime! To clarify, these would be <10 minute frequency routes serving Z1-2 stations, and would be selected in a live draw from a bucket.

Probably some others, but this is it for now.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Time for my write up. Managed to persuade my parents to let me go up there that morning. Started off at Olympia with everyone else and for the first part at least, there was a large number of us also changing at Earls Court for the District Line service to Fulham Broadway before doubling back to catch a service towards Edgware Road. This is where I made the mistake of getting off at Bayswater and then running to Queensway when I should have just changed at Noting Hill Gate. I then went down towards East Acton on the Central Line where I bumped into Sarnian and Andrew and then discovered that I was nowhere near the door I needed and to top it all off, the board was saying 1m for the train to arrive. I somehow made that train and got in just as the driver was about to say "Please mind the doors". Got off at White City and changed to the H&C at Wood Lane. 8 minutes late, the train arrived. I got off that at Paddington where I went over to the Bakerloo Line to visit Warwick Avenue and Maida Vale. Just as the doors of my train opened, the doors were about to close on the southbound train so I had a short wait for the next one to arrive and when it did, I got on and waited for Baker Street to arrive. I then changed to the Metropolitan Line to take care of Great Portland Street and kept on going down to Moorgate. It was at this point I had noticed that James was on the same carriage as I was so I decided to follow him down to the Northern Line platform to cover off Old Street. It was at this point Sarnian, Andrew, Kev, Nozza and Nozza Jr all got on as well. We all then changed to the Piccadilly at KXSP to cover off Russell Square en route to Leicester Square. We all made the change to the Northen Line and Sarnian had managed to get a train up on us so we waited for the next one to tick off Charing Cross en-route to Waterloo. We all then made the connection to the Jubilee Line despite a trip on a stair from me either at Waterloo or Leicester Square. From there, we stayed on to cover off Canning Town and West Ham. From there, It was up to Stratford and then down the Central Line to the TCR and the pub. This was despite tripping over someones leg after I lost balance as the train moved and I promptly went almost half a train carriage with no style at all.

After the pub, I left early in an attempt to get back to Basingstoke at a decent time. I fell asleep on the train and when I woke up, I realised I had missed Basingstoke altogether. A quick phone call to let the parents know what had happened and £5.15 later, I was at a damp and cold Andover station with just a t-shirt on, and with a 30 minute wait so I stayed in the underpass as it was warmer. I got back and as the train pulled in to Basingstoke, The Flying Scotsman was pulling out! My dad was a touch jealous when I told him what that was to say the least. I also found out that my election prediction in Malta was wrong as the current administration managed to stay in power.

I also found out a couple of days later. I found out that the holiday to Malta might be a bit longer than 10 days and that I might be out there for a few months. I am still going to see if I can make Triple Crown Day though.

Finally, I would like to thank Tangy for organising R15 and to everyone for making me welcome.
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something