Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 6

Post by Going Underground »

michael_churchill wrote: 30 May 2017, 12:36
greatkingrat wrote: 28 May 2017, 10:55 As we will presumably all be on the same first train, I suggest we start the watches and open the envelopes on the train as the doors close at Olympia just to make it a bit different.
To clarify, by the rules of Random 15, we won't have visited Olympia if we leave on a Overground train !?! Unless you come back on a District later! Because this is a normal Underground only round.
I concur with your findings Michael....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

tangy wrote: 28 May 2017, 10:21 The generator seems to have a liking to Kensington Olympia for some reason, the third round in a row it has appeared. Therefore, as can be implied this is the start station for round 6. Meet by the buffer stops on the District line platform.
This is good news. It was a nightmare with KenO that led me to give up at the last R15.

I agree with the on-train start thingy.

Attending; GU, RJSRdg, xcooler123, michael_churchill, crypto, DrainBrain
parkrun, Southwark (Matt Scriv birthday run); GU, DrainBrain
Spoons, The Surrey Docks; GU, xcooler123, DrainBrain
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

For those who are proper train-spotters, the Flying Scotsman will be in and around London on Saturday. By my reckoning it will pass through Kensington Olympia at 10:35.

To put off over-enthusiastic enthusiasts, they haven't publicised details, but if you know a bit of information, I think you can find it on realtraintimes.co.uk
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Or even realtimetrains....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Sarnian
Zone 1

Post by Sarnian »

Attending:
GU
RJSRdg
xcooler123
michael_churchill
crypto
DrainBrain
Sarnian

parkrun, Southwark (Matt Scriv birthday run):
GU
DrainBrain

Spoons, The Surrey Docks:
GU
xcooler123
DrainBrain
Next station: Jurong East. Cross over to platform D for train service towards Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio.
All Lines PB: 41:02 Zone 1 PB: 2:52:43
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

In line with Random 15 rules, there will be NO ON TRAIN START, challengers will start their watches as normal at 12:30. This means teams can if they wish run or take another mode of transport not included within the challenge and return to Olympia at any time throughout the challenge. As long as Olympia is visited by District line at some point in the challenge it is still valid, 1239 is the first District departure after the start of the challenge.

Tangy
The BERC
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Attending:
GU
RJSRdg
xcooler123
michael_churchill
crypto
DrainBrain
Sarnian
Roblo97

parkrun, Southwark (Matt Scriv birthday run):
GU
DrainBrain

Spoons, The Surrey Docks:
GU
xcooler123
DrainBrain
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

One of the most "sociable" R15s in a long time!

There was some consternation prior to the start as to when/if Olympia services were going to be running, as there was a long period prior to the start when there were no Olympia trains to be seen and several competitors (me included) had attempted to reach Olympia on the District Line only for their services to be diverted to their destinations and hence having to walk from West Ken! Fortunately just before 12:30, an Olympia service *did* arrive, so at 12:30 we burst through the barriers, on to the train and opened our envelopes. Pretty much everyone I think changed at Earl's Court and headed down to Fulham Broadway via West Brompton, where a northbound Overground was just arriving, apparently ruling out a connection on the doubleback. However on the return I hopped off the District Line and rushed across to the southbound Overground platform to try to read the northbound DMI board (in the past I have been able to do this, read the board, and jump back on the District if the board indicated a long wait). However on this occasion the sun was reflecting off the board making it unreadable and in the time it took me to decipher it, the District had gone, at which point I decided I might as well cross over to the Overground platform anyway. Rich G, Tangy, Neil, David, Michael and Peter made the same decision whilst Kev and the two Nozzas carried on back to Earl's Court. Going down the ramp, we could see the DMI board more clearly - Milton Keynes 1 Minute - and a Southern Electrostar pulling in! Rich G and I jumped on the nearest door, whilst the others boarded further back, though this gave them much better door position at Shepherd's Bush, leaving Rich and I trailing on the interchange to the Central Line, however when we disembarked at East Acton, we found them waiting for an eastbound train, so no time lost. We headed west back to White City and ran to Wood Lane, where the DMI boards gave us no information regarding the next eastbound service. Eventually one arrived and we travelled together to Royal Oak for the Warwick Avenue run. David crossed the pelican crossing on the dual carriageway just in time - I was only about three feet behind him but was too late! All we could do was watch him run off into the distance, never to be seen again (until the pub anyway!). That crossing turned out to be crucial to the outcome of the round! When it had changed back, Tangy was out of the blocks before me, but I overhauled him at the next corner and by the hump back bridge he was trailing far behind me so I approached WA with hopes of going a train up, but a 2 minute wait gave Tangy, Rich, Neil and Peter chance to catch up (just - Rich making it through the doors as they closed). On board, we found Michael, who, not fancying the run, had gone via Paddington in the same time, owing to the delay at the crossing. Up to Maida Vale, then back down via Paddington B, C, D to Baker Street, where Tangy and I stopped and examined the screens, noticed that the only train was a Met to Aldgate on Platform 3 and ran up the appropriate stairs followed by Rich, Neil and Michael, whilst Peter ran past the screens and up to the Circle/H&C platforms, again the last we saw of him before the pub.
Through Great Portland Street the rest of us went, to Kings Cross St Pancras where I jumped off and everyone else carried on to Moorgate. I have a map of my own creation showing the journey times between all the Underground stations, which appeared to suggest that KXSP to Old Street direct on the Northern would only take five minutes whereas going via Moorgate would take 10 (plus the changeover time at Moorgate). Unfortunately I had not taken into account the very long route between the Subsurface and Northern Lines at KXSP and even before I reached the platforms I feared that the others may be getting ahead. So out to Old Street and back to KXSP, with a neat change to the Piccadilly Line for Russell Square then a second neat change at Leicester Square to the Northern down via Charing Cross to Waterloo, where I found Rich, Tangy, Neil and Michael who had indeed all been at least a train up on me, with a six-minute wait for an Eastbound Jubilee, which when it arrived was crammed. However we all got on for an uncomfortable ride via Canning Town to West Ham, where we disembarked, stopped our watches and took the slowest as our time - 2:19:49, joint second to David. Later we discovered that two other challengers had also finished at West Ham on that train, giving a six-way tie for second!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results of final round of the Random 15 Championship 2016/17 season held on Saturday 3rd June 2017. This was a normal round with only LU stations in zones 1 and 2 programmed into the generator.

The stations that had to be visited were:

--Kensington Olympia (meet up)
--West Ham
--Great Portland Street
--Warwick Avenue
--Russell Square
--Paddington (Praed Street)
--Charing Cross (LU)
--Old Street
--Waterloo (LU)
--Wood Lane
--Fulham Broadway
--Maida Vale
--Canning Town
--Leicester Square
--East Acton

There was 15 challengers in 12 teams. So in reverse order:

12th: Peter Smyth- 02:30:51 at Old Street
=8th: Andrew Baker- 02:23:23 at West Ham
=8th: Rob Lomas- 02:23:23 at West Ham
=8th: James Ross- 02:23:23 at West Ham
=8th: Kevin Brown, Damian & Matthew Cook- 02:23:23 at West Ham
=2nd: Sam Smith- 02:19:49 at West Ham
=2nd: Richard Graham- 02:19:49 at West Ham
=2nd: Nick Gardner- 02:19:49 at West Ham
=2nd: Richard Standing- 02:19:49 at West Ham
=2nd: Michael Churchill- 02:19:49 at West Ham
=2nd: Tangy and Neil Ansell- 02:19:49 at West Ham
1st: David Edwards- 02:02:46 at West Ham

**All the teams finishing joint second had actual times within 10 seconds of each other, therefore all these teams had their times adjusted to the slowest of these declared times.

The leaderboard, at the end of the season, is as follows:

1st: The Orange One (55 overall points) [5 rounds attended]
2nd: David Edwards (53) [6] *worse score of 4 deducted, round 3*
3rd: Peter Smyth (41) [6] *worse score of 0 decucted, round 6*
4th: Andrew Baker (30) [6] *worse score of 0 deducted, round 4*
=5th: Tangy (25) [6] *worse score of 1 deducted, round 4*
=5th: Kevin Brown (25) [6] *worse score of 2 deducted, round 2*
=5th: Andrew Chilcraft (25) [5]
=5th: Clive Burgess (25) [4]
9th: Nick Gardner (23) [6] *worse score of 0 deducted, round 5*
10th: Neil Ansell (22) [5]
=11th: Richard Graham (18) [4]
=11th: Richard Standing (18) [4]
=11th: James Ross (18) [5]
14th: Michael Churchill (12) [3]
=15th: Sam Smith (10) [1]
=15th: Damian Cook (10) [3]
=17th: Phil Parker (8) [1]
=17th: Matthew Cook (8) [2]
19th: Josh Nichols-Ageros (7) [1]
20th: Sam Inman (6) [2]
=21st: Chris (5) [1]
=21st: Alex Kneller (5) [2]
=21st: Rob Lomas (5) [2]
24th: Richard Burrows (1) [1]
25th: Mingke: (0) [1]

Here concludes the Random 15 Championship for the 2016/17 season. Thank you all for attending, albeit for just one round (or all six), there is no championship without the challengers. We now enter the summer break and hope to see you again for the new 2017/18 season in September, provisionally Saturday 16th September 2017.

Tangy
The BERC.
Last edited by tangy on 04 Jun 2017, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Martin, thank you so much for all your work and efforts in organising both the R15 Championship and Z1 day including the quiz and prizes.... Both were very successful again this season :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Random 15 Top Times on Explorer Ticket now fully updated with these times from round 6 (as well as those from rounds 4 and 5 which were not uploaded until now).

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Going Underground wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 11:23 Martin, thank you so much for all your work and efforts in organising both the R15 Championship and Z1 day including the quiz and prizes.... Both were very successful again this season :D
Seconded from me :-)
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Many thanks for a very successful R15 season Tangy and everyone else as it was my first full season. It was nice to end on a high.

As you may have gathered most people took a very similar route and I was no different. The difference for me was a good run to Warwick Avenue and then loads of amazing changes - 1 min wait at Maida Vale, Circle line train arriving as I got to the platform at Baker Street, Northern line train waiting for me at Moorgate, ran through closing doors of a Pic train at KXSP, Northern line train arriving as I got to the platform at Leicester Square and finally a 1 min wait at Waterloo. All this meant I avoided a gap in the Jubilee line service which a lot of people got caught in and gave me my fastest ever R15 time :D

Also a huge congratulations to Hugo (TOO) for your championship win. I'll be chasing even harder next year :wink:
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Sarnian
Zone 1

Post by Sarnian »

Olympia :arrow: Earls Court :arrow: Fulham Broadway :arrow: Earls Court :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Wood Lane :arrow: White City :arrow: North Acton :arrow: 266 bus to Willesden Junction :arrow: Overground to Queens Park :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Kings Cross :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: West Ham

Interesting set of stations which depended on your mastery of West London. The challengers, with one exception, finished within the space of 5 westbound trains at West Ham.

I set off with A2. After I saw people dive over to the National Rail platforms at West Brompton I felt annoyed that I'd not thought of that as a route, expecting it to be faster than the route via Hammersmith. We took the Picc there as there weren't any westbound Districts available, it suffering from a signal failure. It still stopped and started all the way there.

At White City we encountered Rob, doubling back at East Acton, who could have been better located for his door. Expecting the majority of the challengers to be ahead of us and not interested in long inter station runs we went with a bus. It was trundlesome and stopped midway for a driver change and leisurely chat. First train toward London at Willesden Junction was an Overground so we changed at Queens Park.

Kev, Nozza and Nozza Jr joined us at Maida Vale and we ran through Baker Street and Moorgate with them. James and Rob turned up again at Old Street.

At Leicester Square I took a small lead in the running and jumped on to a Northern Line train, waving to Kev and Nozza left behind on the platform. A2 was even further behind but had given me permission to abandon him ;)

Finished at West Ham on a totally jammed Jubilee.

Thanks to Tangy of course for another year of superb administration :)
Last edited by Sarnian on 11 Jun 2017, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
Next station: Jurong East. Cross over to platform D for train service towards Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio.
All Lines PB: 41:02 Zone 1 PB: 2:52:43
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

More by luck than by judgement.

Richard Standing has given an excellent account of the day. In my case, I hadn't noticed the Overground train at West Brompton on the way to Fulham Broadway and I got off on the way back in hope. It was just luck that the Southern train was pulling in. Given the set of stations, it was then likely that we were all doing the same thing. I don't run (generally) but I walk quite fast (I think) so I was expecting to get left behind at some point, but every time as the fast runners (i.e. Tangy) rushed off I managed to plod along and eventually catch up at the next platform. Waiting at Wood Lane, David made a comment about Royal Oak, but still running Royal Oak to Warwick Avenue wouldn't have ever crossed my mind. It wasn't a case of "not fancying the run", I wouldn't have a clue about directions. So I continued to Paddington to change to the northbound Bakerloo. When the others boarded my train at Warwick Avenue (and coincidentally the same carriage) there was much surprise! At Baker Street, I just managed to keep the others in sight, saw them rush up the stairs, thought to myself "they know something", and blindly followed them, just making it. Aren't S stock trains great - you can jump on and worry about door positions later! I should have been left behind on a very quick change at Kings Cross but Neil got stuck in the doors and they had to be reopened. I time each train and I made it 34 seconds from setting foot on the Northern platform to (final) door close on the Piccadilly. If there hadn't been such a big gap for the Jubilee at Waterloo, I could have been left behind on the travelators. I assumed that David was still ahead, but wondered about those that hadn't changed at West Brompton. We got off at West Ham to finish, get out of the crowd and compare stopwatches. I let the next equally-jammed Jubilee pass, then found the others on the next less-jammed train.

At Paddington, coming out of the H&C/Circle station, heading to the mainline station, I saw special signs in both Italian and Spanish telling Juventus and Real Madrid fans how to get to Cardiff. I think they'd set up a special holding area.

Now that I've shown myself that I won't necessarily come last every time, I'll be trying to attend more next season. And I add my thanks to Tangy.