Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2017- Friday 2nd June

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2017- Friday 2nd June

Post by Tube Geek »

Good luck to everyone taking part today! Hope there are as few a delays as possible for your challenging!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

How did it go?
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

From my point of view, a disaster - last place finish and worst ever time!

When the start was announced as Warren Street, I looked at my circular route again and decided that if I headed down to Goodge Street, ran to Russell Square then headed down the Picc, I could finish my route at Charing Cross, avoiding a number of double visits (TCR, Leicester Square and KXSP). When I got off at Goodge Street, so did David Edwards. "He must be running to Russell Square too", I thought, following him at a distance until I realised I had the sun on my right and the BT tower on my left, at which point I twigged that (a) he was running to Regent's Park and (b) I was lost! I found my way back to TCR (the road), then through the University building to Russell Square, by which point I'd probably lost as much time as I had been hoping to gain. Down to Earl's Court - 7 minute wait for an Edgware Road. Up and out at Bayswater. Queensway - only one lift working, so down and round and round and down to the platform. 5 minute wait. Along to Oxford Circus, then the Paddingtons and back along to Euston Square, Euston, Moorgate, Farringdon. Run to Chancery Lane - nearest entrance still not open so across the road and down a different one. Liverpool Street, then out into a torrential downpour at Aldgate East! Over to Aldgate and round the bottom to Sloane Square. Back to Victoria, down to Vauxhall and Waterloo, where I boarded westbound train by mistake and wound up at Westminster again! More time wasted while I struggled to find the eastbound platforms, then London Bridge and E&C. By then I realised I hadn't visited TCR at all! So back up to Waterloo, change to the Northern and finally finishing at TCR in a very disappointing 3:41:59, not helped by at least half a dozen doses of "being held at a red signal".

The day wasn't a complete failure though as I spent three hours this morning testing part of my FNC route, including one bit which I thought had been made impossible by the timetable changes. Not only did it all work to plan, I was 5 minutes (one train) up at one stage!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I loved my day ... although it's after midnight and I'm still on a train heading back to Derbyshire!

I started at Warren St at 1pm with everyone else. I'd already got a route from Euston planned from a previous visit so I went down to TCR and double backed to Euston making sure I was at the front of the train. At Euston I moved my (considerable) bulk over to Platform 6 and jumped onto a train down to Moorgate. Unlike last Saturday, my change to the H&C worked straight away and I took this to Paddington, then swapped to the other Paddington for the Bakerloo to Oxford Circus.

Took the Central Line west to get off at Queensway and the 1hr marked ticked by as the train idled thru Lancaster Gate. At Queensway one of the lifts was out and I had to wait my turn. 123 steps down yes, up, no! Straight out here and a fat wobbly jog/walk to Bayswater where I had a 1 min wait for a District to Earls Crt.

As I got to the stairs I saw Micheal Churchill (feck me, that man is clever! Quiz team genius!) & we both headed for the Pic east. At the bottom of the stairs I white blur of xcooler flashed by and up! We went to the Pic and I jumped off at Russell Sq to dbl back to Holborn. This worked perfectly as I hit the westbound platform as a train arrived and the change at Holborn was good, just making an Eastbound central to Liverpool St as the doors closed.

At Liverpool St I got to the platform as a H&C Aldgate East train was pulling in. I decided to skip this as I never seem to have any luck catching trains from Aldgate. A Met Aldgate terminator was 1min away so I took that and walked as fast as I could to Aldgate East where hour 2 clicked over as I got on a District train. At Embankment, I knew I had to go to Charing X and Had it stuck in my head to use the Northern Line I just (because of the platform barrier and a dawdling bloke) missed the NL train but I realised my mistake. I needed the Baker loo for Charing X so the dbl back would take me via Lambeth North and then E&C.

Another fat man walk over to the Bakerloo, upto to Charing X, dbl back and down to E&C. A quick change to the NL (only had to wait 20 secs) and upto London Bridge. Changed to the Jubilee and thru to Waterloo. I decided to try the overground route so came off and upto the mainline station where I jumped on the 15.39 from Platform 1 to Vauxhall. A slippery wet change here to the Victoria but (as Xcooler had mentioned) it's nearly all downhill. I got to the Vauxhall train as the doors slid shut. Grrrr.

Had to wait for the next one to come around the loop and took that up to Victoria where the change to the C&D was horrible, not been that way thru the station before and it confused me. Manged to get a a train to Sloane Sq and walked thru it for door position. Up and over to catch the next train back to Westminster. The 3hr marked ticked by in St James''s park. NUTS! Then the train stopped in the tunnel between SJP and Westminster for what felt like ages as I stared at the stopwatch. It moved and I jumped off stopping the watch at 3hr 3m 6s, a time that gave me 4th on the day.

I'm gutted that a couple of wrong turns a d the fact I'm so bloody unfit stopped me breaking 3 hours. However, this is my fastest ever time and to have only lost out to the winners by 6 minutes, for me, is an achievement I am proud of.

Had a nice time at the pub afterwards before heading back into town to meet my son and his friends who are are having a weekend in London. It's now 00.31 and I'm almost at Chesterfield. I'm knackered!

I'd like to thank Tangy for organizing this and the rest of the competitors for being so friendly. Thanks all. For those taking part in the Random 15 tomorrow, may the signals be in your favour!
Elsie
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results of the Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2017 held on Friday 2nd June 2017.

There was 11 challengers in 9 teams. The start station was Warren Street.

The results in reverse order:

9th: "Richard Standing" (Richard Standing)- 03:40:59 at Tottenham Court Road
8th: "Mind the Gap! Between me and the Second to Last Time" (Richard Graham)- 03:31:37 at Euston
7th: "Calling at all Stations to Covfefe" (Michael Churchill)- 03:25:27 at Goodge Street
=5th: "The Goodge, the Padd and the Fugly" (Tangy)- 03:09:53 at Euston Square
=5th: "Down with the Dowtown Line" (Sam Smith)- 03:09:53 at Euston Square
4th: "Elsie Effsee" (Andrew Burrows)- 03:03:06 at Westminster
3rd: "A Bridge over Canada Water" (David Edwards)- 03:00:29 at Vauxhall
=1st: "A-tooobe" (Andrew Baker)- 02:57:37 at Vauxhall
=1st: "If There's Something Strange on the Underground, Who You Gonna Call? Tube Busters!" (Kevin Brown, Damian & Matthew Cook)- 02:57:37 at Vauxhall.

Best team name judged by two challengers who were at the after event meet up (but did not do the challenge) was Tangy's "The Goodge, the Padd and the Fugly." Second year in a row.

Best score in the pub quiz was 44 out of 50 by Michael Churchill.

A modest turn out but this was compounded by my own lack of advertising- completely failing to advertise it on my own Top Times/Explorer Ticket website and missing out a word in the link to the dedicated pages from Facebook- so it directed users to the home page of Explorer Ticket instead of the Zone 1 page. Also a few challengers had other commitments on the day and could not attend the event.

The Zone 1 Challenge Cup is now down in Penzance and my Zone 1 bag of wheel nut covers gets packed away again... until next year.

Tangy
The BOZO (Boss of Zone One)
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

A reasonable effort at Zone 1 although it still seems to be the one challenge I get no luck in...

Starting at Warren Street, I headed south towards Goodge Street. I then elected to run to Regent's Park as this would put me on a pre-planned route with only a minor adjustment. 7 mins platform to platform filled me with confidence & I headed up to Paddington. Ran to the H&C line to find myself with a 5 mins wait :( Once a train arrived I trundled down to Moorgate to head up to Euston and double back to KXSP. Changed for the Piccadilly line to head down to Earl's Court where everything fell apart... Wanted to head up to Bayswater but the next 2 trains due in weren't going there and they hadn't even arrived yet. So I elected to run to HSK to see if I could catch a Circle line train but was instead greeted with a 7 mins wait which was enough time for an overpriced lunch. Eventually made it to Bayswater & ran to Queensway to cover the Central line off. Arrived at Liverpool Street to be greeted by A2. It was fairly clear that we both had similar, if not the same route left, so we both travelled to Aldgate and ran to Aldgate East. The final but was to cover off Embankment :arrow: Charing X :arrow: E&C :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Westminster :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: Victoria and finally finishing at Vauxhall with A2 &, as we discovered later, Kev, Nozza and Mini Nozza. My train started earlier than A2 and the Kev, Nozza and Mini Nozza team, hence why I finished 3rd with a slightly slower time.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I'd love to read everyone else routes, esp the winners!
Elsie
Sarnian
Zone 1

Post by Sarnian »

Warren Street :arrow: Euston :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Kings Cross :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Farringdon :arrow: Run to Chancery Lane :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: SWT to Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: Westminster :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Earls Court :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Run to Queensway :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Euston Square.

Didn't have any great changes, most of the time I arrived to an empty platform with the notable exception of Earls Court. Lost all the other tube challengers at Charing Cross which wasn't a surprise since I wasn't expecting anyone else to do the little triangle the way I did.

I bollocksed up the Aldgates - the first train in was an H&C with a Circle 4 mins behind. I didn't know if that meant I had 4 minutes to do the run and I didn't want to gamble on a ten minute wait at Aldgate. Of course at Aldgate East the first westbound train was a H&C too.

At Knightsbridge a man boarded the packed Picc - seemingly running every 5 minutes - with a rucksack full of mint.

Running down the street from Bayswater I heard a voice from over my shoulder "I spy a tube challenger!". This was Tangy who I had a fun race down the stairs with to the Central Line. He crashed into someone on the Paddington run but wasn't delayed much, and we finished on the same Circle.
Next station: Jurong East. Cross over to platform D for train service towards Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio.
All Lines PB: 41:02 Zone 1 PB: 2:52:43
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

As this was my first attempt at any Zone 1, I'd worked out a circular route (and researched door positions) that I thought was pretty efficient and worked out a few rules to decide which way round to do it. When Warren Street was announced as the start, I realised that there was one scenario I hadn't considered - being one stop from an on-foot section I ought to head towards that section or I'd reach the last station on foot.

So I started with Northern to Euston, on foot to Euston Square, Circle to Paddington, on foot to the Bakerloo, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus. Here a Central train was waiting at the platform but I discovered that it was being held due to a customer incident at Holland Park. I didn't have the confidence to bail and re-plan, so that cost me at least 5 minutes. Central to Queensway, on foot to Bayswater, District to Earls Court. Here I was joined by Elsie, but apparently he'd already done more than I had. Piccadilly to Kings Cross, Northern to Moorgate, Met to Farringdon, on foot to Chancery Lane (first time), Central to Liverpool Street. There was a Circle 4 minutes behind an H&C but I wasn't sure I'd do the Aldgate run in time - in hindsight I probably would have. So, Circle to Aldgate, on foot to Aldgate East (through an outburst of rain which actually cooled me down nicely), District to Sloane Square and back to Victoria, Victoria to Vauxhall, then straight onto a SWT into Waterloo. Bakerloo to Elephant & Castle, Northern to London Bridge, Jubilee to Waterloo, Northern to Goodge Street to finish.

It was the first competitive challenge that I hadn't finished last on, so I'm happy about that. I felt a bit robbed about the best team name, but nailed the quiz so I walked away with a prize. Result! The quiz could have been made for me - one question was to name the artist responsible for the labyrinths, did anybody else get that?
Last edited by michael_churchill on 05 Jun 2017, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

that's easy mark wallinger
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Elsie wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 23:11 I'd love to read everyone else routes, esp the winners!
LOL closely guarded secret from team Nozza, junior & Kev... although our organiser was given the details in the pub :wink:

I can say though that we managed to re-route after waiting to 3-4 mins on a westbound central line at Bond Street until I heard Holland Park had signal issues to we changed platforms to go east and being in exactly the correct place to change at Oxford Circus we decided to run the length of the platform to ensure that we weren't :lol: :roll:

The Aldgate run was insane 2 minutes in the heaviest rain I ever seen and the people sheltering must have thought we were nuts and it was a question of trying to find the least flooded parts of the pavements, until at the side road before Aldgate East we all had to run around the back of a van and straight into a puddle... So a 2 minute run resulted in t-shirt, trainers and socks soaked through and lucky that we all had a change of clothes with us and you may have noticed my attempts to dry clothes at The Willan IV which wasn't very successful :!:

The final change at Victoria saw our train to Vauxhall come in and after we all got on they decided to terminate it slowly checking and closing all the carriages costing us around 5-6 minutes and the outright win (No hard feelings A2 :wink: ) but thankfully not the shared victory...

Also we have 4:55 to come of our time for the "Top Z1 Times" following reset of watch at Euston where we doubled back...

We would have been very closed to 2hrs 50mins with the Victoria issue and also with the double back and re-routing methinks a Euston start with luck could run the record close (hence the cloak 'n' dagger on the route Andrew :wink: )
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I am assuming that 2018 will be Friday 1st June?? If so I need confirmation soonest as will have to decline a wedding invitation...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Going Underground wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 13:10 I am assuming that 2018 will be Friday 1st June?? If so I need confirmation soonest as will have to decline a wedding invitation...
This is the Friday of half term week so I assume yes :)
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Going Underground wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 13:10 I am assuming that 2018 will be Friday 1st June?? If so I need confirmation soonest as will have to decline a wedding invitation...
early date confirmation from the Berc unlikely.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Put this in your 2018 diary now (if you have already bought one):

Zone 1 2018 will be held on Friday 1st June 2018.

No comments about not getting enough advance notice...I have given you 6 months!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.