Guinness world record regulations

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Re: Guinness world record regulations

Post by FelixJ20000 »

Steeevooo wrote:Given that you're going to obliterate the record anyway, I don't see how the issue of a couple of seconds at the start is really going to worry you?
Yes but it's what they'll accept, a dispute would be annoying. And I detect sarcasm :lol:
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

I would just go with the safe option of getting someone (your witness perhaps) to keep the doors open and when they close, count that as the start, as that seems to be the natural closing time.
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Who can act as a valid witness?
• Attendance from a Guinness World Records Judge - Having an Official Guinness World Records Judge present during your record title attempt means that we can provide on-the-spot verification and immediately announce whether or not your attempt has been a success (Standard Application waiting times are between 6-12 weeks). It also means that a lot of the evidence requirements detailed in this pack will not be necessary however you will need to confirm specific evidence requirements with your allocated GWR Judge. Please note, this is a paid-for service. If you are interested in learning more about this service, please contact an account manager at: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/set ... contact-us
It's sounding to me as if what Guinness are doing is making the 'self-certifying' evidence sufficiently onerous that people are 'encouraged' instead to hire a Guinness Judge to witness the attempt - i.e. money in Guinness's pockets!

Doubtless 5:15 starts and/or late evening finishes will attract an 'unsocial hours' bonus!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Re: RE: Re: Guinness world record regulations

Post by FelixJ20000 »

RJSRdg wrote:
Who can act as a valid witness?
• Attendance from a Guinness World Records Judge - Having an Official Guinness World Records Judge present during your record title attempt means that we can provide on-the-spot verification and immediately announce whether or not your attempt has been a success (Standard Application waiting times are between 6-12 weeks). It also means that a lot of the evidence requirements detailed in this pack will not be necessary however you will need to confirm specific evidence requirements with your allocated GWR Judge. Please note, this is a paid-for service. If you are interested in learning more about this service, please contact an account manager at: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/set ... contact-us
It's sounding to me as if what Guinness are doing is making the 'self-certifying' evidence sufficiently onerous that people are 'encouraged' instead to hire a Guinness Judge to witness the attempt - i.e. money in Guinness's pockets!

Doubtless 5:15 starts and/or late evening finishes will attract an 'unsocial hours' bonus!
Hmmm... you may be onto something there
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Presumably that could quickly get prohibitively expensive, especially if they were to be with you all day. If you were relying on them for evidence and they got lost on a transfer that wouldn't be great!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

The only word I can think of to describe these new rules is "onerous"! Very tricky for a solo attempt to be achievable, and, in my mind, overdoing the amount of evidence needed. They obviously don't fancy watching 15 hours plus of trains to make sure you've not fiddled the video :-)
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

al wrote:The only word I can think of to describe these new rules is "onerous"! Very tricky for a solo attempt to be achievable, and, in my mind, overdoing the amount of evidence needed. They obviously don't fancy watching 15 hours plus of trains to make sure you've not fiddled the video :-)
As earlier people have said, I expect they can likely be persuaded by just one witness - maybe a youth mayor would do? :?
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Iain wrote:Presumably that could quickly get prohibitively expensive, especially if they were to be with you all day. If you were relying on them for evidence and they got lost on a transfer that wouldn't be great!
And if they did manage to stay with you all day, they would also have set the record (assuming the attempt was successful), so would no longer be an impartial witness!

Of course, very few (if any) people set the record on their first attempt. If going through the Guinness Judge route, you may have to pay for a Judge for several unsuccessful attempts before any successful attempt happens.

And in my case, I have a route which (in theory) gets the record with 1 minute to spare, if everything goes according to plan (which of course it wouldn't!) BUT if I attempted it without jumping through all the Guinness hoops, Murphy's Law gives me a much better chance of beating the time!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Just a thought - should this not be in Zone 2??
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

al wrote:The only word I can think of to describe these new rules is "onerous"! Very tricky for a solo attempt to be achievable
Just had another thought on this - if a solo challenger is wearing a GoPro camera, they will get very little footage of themselves (except reflections in train/bus/shop windows etc) but a lot of footage of the other passengers on the trains, which said passengers might not be too happy about!

It's a shame that TfL only keep on-train CCTV footage for 72 hours (unlike station footage which is retained for 20 days and can be requested via a Subject Access Request).
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tube Geek wrote:Just a thought - should this not be in Zone 2??
Yes. I've moved it now.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

tubeguru wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:Just a thought - should this not be in Zone 2??
Yes. I've moved it now.
Oops sorry
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

Maybe we need a Hexo+ https://hexoplus.com/ ! Although I don't think it could handle tube trains terribly well, may be useful for running, were money no object!
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Steeevooo wrote:They're the same rules that everyone else has to abide by...
Exactly. If you want to set a GWR you have to follow the rules.

Guinness obviously have to ensure that their brand is seen to be verifying real world records and have sensible audit procedures. Having been through this twice now for tube challenges, my advice would be to follow their rules. Generally the more evidence you have collected the easier your audit will be.

My own take on what is needed as GWR evidence is as follows:
• Two witness statements confirming the exact details of the start and end of the attempt.
Absolutely necessary, of some standing ie teachers, lawyers, policeman, with video
• Photographic evidence is compulsory evidence for all record attempts.
Take a picture at each station, with roundel and if possible clock or your face in it
• Video evidence is compulsory evidence for this record attempt.
At the least, video the connections between trains/stations on a small body camera
• Log book as described above
Details of route, train departure, arrival times, running number, arrival times at every station
• Witness book as described above
As many as you can collect, focusing on LU staff but don't miss any trains for it

Now obviously you are not going to get a complete set of everything. You might miss the odd photo or train number. But taken as a whole, ask yourself whether you have got enough proof.

In addition to these items, I supply an Oyster journey record and GPS tracker information using followme app. Oyster only shows where you tap in and out but it is independent evidence of where you have been and times. Avoid exceeding journey time and understand when OSIs apply. GPS tracker shows where you are every 5/10 mins. Just activate the app on your phone and download your journey info from their website. It only works above ground but that is 60% of the Underground.

And finally. Get organised with pens, pre printed route and station sheets, small video camera around your neck and an accomplice taking the photos. Basically you need a small portable office with you in a rucksack to collect all the evidence. Food, drink, toilet stops, fitness, maps and a good route and you are away.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Incidentally, I've now found a formula for calculating how much video footage you can get on a memory card.

Time = 2 * GB/Mps

Where GB = The number of GB on the memory card

Mps is the number of Megabits/second. If shooting at 1080p resolution, Mps = 15.

So a 128GB memory card would probably be needed to record an entire FNC.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/vide ... ding-time/