I'm gonna do a full network

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

I'm gonna do a full network

Post by FelixJ20000 »

I want to make my first crack at doing a full network, not exactly going for record time, but I'd like to try for fun. I've planned a route that gets me around in 17:19, would you like to the my planning spreadsheet to point out any obvious flaws etc?

My plan is to try when I've finished my GCSEs and so have time off school, with a friend. My mum shouldn't mind either now because I'm 16!

Thank you!
Last edited by FelixJ20000 on 14 Mar 2017, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: I wanna do a full network

Post by dstock17 »

where I can't compare to route planners like Moley or andi. I can certainly see if any flaws in your plan in logistics wise numbers are what I work with.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Re: RE: Re: I wanna do a full network

Post by FelixJ20000 »

dstock17 wrote:where I can't compare to route planners like Moley or andi. I can certainly see if any flaws in your plan in logistics wise numbers are what I work with.
Seeing as there's an audience, here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

I was tracking 3 start times through, but only the middle one seems to make an Olympia connection. The contents of the purple columns are generated by formulae. I only include interchange points, the arrival time, departure time, and departing train number/bus number/headcode.

Please ask if you have any questions

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

FelixJ20000 wrote:
dstock17 wrote:where I can't compare to route planners like Moley or andi. I can certainly see if any flaws in your plan in logistics wise numbers are what I work with.
Seeing as there's an audience, here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

I was tracking 3 start times through, but only the middle one seems to make an Olympia connection. The contents of the purple columns are generated by formulae. I only include interchange points, the arrival time, departure time, and departing train number/bus number/headcode.

Please ask if you have any questions

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
1) North Harrow to Rayners Lane - run or bus, maybe? I don't know if that would get you up a train though.
2) Ealing Broadway to Ealing Common - there are several buses and it doesn't take long to make the trip on the bus.
3) Stanmore to Edgware - always go via Canons Park. The 142 bus is slow and liable to be caught up in traffic.
4) Liverpool Street area - if you're on a Circle, just go all the way to Tower Hill then jump on a District, saves you the doubleback later and the run, though admittedly it's a very very easy run.
5) Olympia on Route 3 - if you go Wimbledon :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Shepherd's Bush Market :arrow: Kensington Olympia (on foot or on 49/C1 bus) you'd tidy that whole section up a lot.
6) Olympia on Route 1 - this seems to connect fine but just gives you the same train as Route 2? Otherwise you may want to rejig the entire thing, I'm looking at Wimbledon :arrow: Gloucester Road :arrow: Edgware Road :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Olympia :arrow: Shepherd's Bush :arrow: White City :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Euston :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Green Park :arrow: South Kensington :arrow: Westminster (resume line of route).
7) Olympia on Route 2 - looking at the previous solution, you may wish to do Wimbledon :arrow: Gloucester Road :arrow: Edgware Road :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Olympia (by bus 9, 10 or 27 to connect with 1958 departure) :arrow: Earl's Court (resume line of route).

I'm not entirely sure about the rest, but there's some ideas.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

The Orange One wrote: Olympia on Route 1 - this seems to connect fine but just gives you the same train as Route 2?
Exactly, if it gives me the same train then there's no point in starting 30 mins earlier
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

You may well be able to save a bit of time if you can run (or take the H9 bus - it's a steep hill!) from North Harrow to Rayner's Lane (or alternatively tun to West Harrow though there won't be so many Uxbridge trains from there).

You might also be able to save time by running from Regent's Park to Great Portland Street.

What you will almost certainly NOT be able to do is to change from Monument to Bank in 75 seconds!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

That depends what your aim is. It is likely you will experience delays at some point on the route although it is obviously impossible to know in advance where they will be. So while route 2 may make the Olympia connection in theory, one minor delay may ruin it. While if you use route 1 you have a bit of spare time in hand in case of delays.

Generally, if your main aim is to complete the whole network, I would advise using the first available train to give you the best possible chance.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Also, I'm not quite sure where you got those 307 bus times from. Journey Planner shows that the 307 takes 23 minutes from High Barnet to Cockfosters Road, not 13!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

from reading reports and seeing video footage of north harrow to rayners lane I would agree with walking running or bus it going to take u 5 mins roughly to get to harrow on the hill time spent walking at least halfway towards rayners lane. And there you have options more in your route although u go west you can go south and reverse your part up to rayners lane etc.

whether this works and u get a train up who knows but it adds options to your routing possibilities if delays.

if u read the labyrinth route though I don't think there are 87 changes in it more like 65 average that's 20 less which makes a differance I suppose but only andi can tell you that.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

My 16:14 'Improved Labyrinth' theory route has 65 (though I haven't compared it to current WTTs to see if it still works), the route I'm working on now has 78 (an adaptation of another challenger's route I was sworn to secrecy on) - some are *very* tight!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

RJSRdg wrote:My 16:14 'Improved Labyrinth' theory route has 65 (though I haven't compared it to current WTTs to see if it still works), the route I'm working on now has 78 (an adaptation of another challenger's route I was sworn to secrecy on) - some are *very* tight!
I believe the theroy is less changes less connections less things can go wrong from speaking to Iain the current record holders route was extremely lax in many places but then I guess tamed to Steve and andi,s running pace which judging from 19m 44s in parkrun is quite quick.

just enjoy urself even document it I can't wait until tube challenge the film comes out in other post any update das on that.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

RJSRdg wrote:Also, I'm not quite sure where you got those 307 bus times from. Journey Planner shows that the 307 takes 23 minutes from High Barnet to Cockfosters Road, not 13!
OK, the actual timetables on the TfL Buses page show 11 minutes but doesn't give an actual time at either stop.
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

RJSRdg wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:Also, I'm not quite sure where you got those 307 bus times from. Journey Planner shows that the 307 takes 23 minutes from High Barnet to Cockfosters Road, not 13!
OK, the actual timetables on the TfL Buses page show 11 minutes but doesn't give an actual time at either stop.
I used Google maps and put in the time that I arrive at High Barnet. I've estimated that I can run a mile (approximately) 8 minutes (I can probably cut 30 seconds off some times if I really need to)
FelixJ20000
Zone 2

Post by FelixJ20000 »

dstock17 wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:My 16:14 'Improved Labyrinth' theory route has 65 (though I haven't compared it to current WTTs to see if it still works), the route I'm working on now has 78 (an adaptation of another challenger's route I was sworn to secrecy on) - some are *very* tight!
I believe the theroy is less changes less connections less things can go wrong from speaking to Iain the current record holders route was extremely lax in many places but then I guess tamed to Steve and andi,s running pace which judging from 19m 44s in parkrun is quite quick.

just enjoy urself even document it I can't wait until tube challenge the film comes out in other post any update das on that.
So are you saying that I need to try to cut the numbers of changes here? When I planned this route I was trying to focus on avoiding geographic duplication at the cost of interchange time, is that not such a good strategy? As you can see on the spreadsheet, I spend 3:41 not on a train/bus/tram (probably more because that isn't counting running time because of my unwillingness to nest IF statements) and I wanna cut that back.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

"Extremely lax" is stretching it a bit, but I only needed to do one door hold all day.

The only real metric is the final time - it's not really a hard "minimise changes" kind of thing, although that may help.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)