Photo Evidence

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Photo Evidence

Post by tufnellpark »

Here is a suggestion for improving R15 route verification. Just wanted to get some feedback from all of you on this idea.

It would be easy for all R15 competitors to take a time stamped photo of the 14 stations on their mobiles, to verify that they have visited all the stations. These photos would then be available for Tangy to check routes.

What do you reckon? Does anyone not have a mobile?
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Photo Evidence

Post by Going Underground »

tufnellpark wrote:Here is a suggestion for improving R15 route verification. Just wanted to get some feedback from all of you on this idea.

It would be easy for all R15 competitors to take a time stamped photo of the 14 stations on their mobiles, to verify that they have visited all the stations. These photos would then be available for Tangy to check routes.

What do you reckon? Does anyone not have a mobile?
I do but have a mobile but not a memory card for photo function....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

It seems like a sensible idea and maybe something to trial for 1 round initially, see how people get on with it and then discuss after whether to move forward with it or not. Everyone should have access to a camera of some description that is easily transportable whilst doing an R15.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I took photos on my first few R15s, but I haven't on the last couple as I forgot my camera and I knew nobody checked them anyway. On two of the last three R15s I've taken part in (and the Park Challenge), I've been 'accompanied' by competitors most of the way anyway.

Personally I quite appreciate the sporting way the R15 challenges (and indeed every mini-Challenge except the Park) is run on an honesty basis so unless there has been some controversy regarding potential cheating, I don't see the need to change.

The requirement to take photos could also lead to the potential situation where if someone drops/breaks their camera during a run, or their phone battery runs out, they could wind up being disqualified.

In any case, of course, there are other ways of cheating on an R15 (like getting a taxi!) which having photos wouldn't counter.

So I say, keep it as it is (though of course people can take photos for their own record if they want to).

(Where I do find photography useful is on the pre-planned challenges as using a timestamp means I have a record of how well I kept to the planned time - or otherwise!)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I'm new to all of this and (purely by chance) "accompanied" @RJSRdg for some of the Park Challenge before Christmas. Having to exit, take a pic and then get back on was part of the fun! I also took pics when I did the A-Z last year but that was easy as it was more relaxed*

From reading your descriptions of the R15 challenges, they sound manic! I'm not sure that trying to get a photo is always going be that easy, especially not when you're doing your best to make quick changes through busy stations. As I say, I am new to this but I think there ought to be trust and if you do miss taking a picture (except for the Park Challenge!) due to a fast change/too busy then there should be some leeway.

But that's just my novice opinion.

*Note I am desperate to try the A-Z one again as I've got a new route planned that I really want to try and could knock 20 mins off my last try!
Elsie
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I like the honesty system, plus having to take photos adds stress to an already manic challenge.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

tractakid wrote:I like the honesty system, plus having to take photos adds stress to an already manic challenge.
I agree. It'd be a shame to see that go down the pan when it has always been done on trust. :(

(Not that my opinion overly matters as I have only ever done 1, possibly 2 R15s :mrgreen: )
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Honesty is, as they say, the best policy...

But seriously, the main issue is the stress involved with taking pictures everywhere - I for one am regularly jumping through closing doors, so there'd be a lot of missed photos. Besides, it's not as if we disappear from sight for 2 or 3 or 4 hours - as has been mentioned, we're regularly bumping into each other, and indeed we've done the entire thing mostly one large pack before!!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

That said, on my first two R15s I didn't see any other competitors between the start time and getting to the Bricklayers'. For both of those, it took me so long to find the stations on the map that everyone was already way ahead of me! (And on the first one I took a very unconventional route owing to forgetting I needed to take an Underground train from the start in order for it to count, so had to revisit it!).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Thank you for all the posts. To summarise, it seems that most competitors would prefer the rules to stay as they are, which is understandable as photos would add another layer of complexity to the R15 events.

My thinking was just that Guinness WR have a list of items of proof, which are onerous but can be accommodated with proper planning. Personally I'd like more objective proof coming into R15 but it seems I am in the minority. And as we all know democracy rules.

See you all at the next R15 in March.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

If I ever do beat the GWR FNC time, people are just going to have to believe me as I'll never bother to collect the extensive evidence.

Not that I'll ever beat the FNC record time.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*