Redesign the tube

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Re: Redesign the tube

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Soup Dragon wrote:How does the interchange between Park Royal & Hanger Lane work?
Some kind of travelator, I think. It could be on a bridge or in a tunnel. Alternatively, one of the platforms could be moved closer to the junction, Hanger Lane I think, and then it could just be a walkway. The stations are so close that it's ridiculous there's no interchange! I'd probably put an interchange somewhere up Ickenham way as well.

Just looking Park Royal up on Wikipedia now, I read this:
Wikipedia wrote:"Future:
Just to the north of the station, the Piccadilly Line crosses over the Central Line tracks heading west towards nearby Hanger Lane. As part of the on-going development of the First Central Business Park on the Guinness Brewery site, a new station will be constructed on the Central Line to the east of the crossing point. It is possible that this station will be called First Central or Park Royal - First Central although it will not be physically linked to Park Royal station. The timing of the construction of the new station is not known."
Well if that's true, they've got the right idea. :lol:

The southern Northern line bit I did without first checking scrxisi's map - it seems he's redesigned his so it neatly crosses the Croydon Tram.

Mullardo - I think you're a loose cannon! Make sure you widen those deep-level tunnels before you start sending District trains down them!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Heathrow to Acton Town doesnt have any deep level tunnels does it?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

The tunnel from Hatton Cross > T4 > T123 is tube tunnel. I dont know about T123 > Hatton Cross. I'm guessing it might be. Although the 70's extensions to Heathrow Central (T123) were built using cut and cover, perhaps only to the size of tube trains and not surface stock? :?
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Ah ok, I thought it was all cut and cover tunnels.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Saying that, I dont know about T123 > T5 :?
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I bet it's tube tunnel. They wouldn't cut and cover right across an airport. Or would they?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I doubt it. Between Hounslow West and Hatton Cross, both tracks share the same tunnel so its possible to see trains travelling in either direction. Between T123 > Hatton Cross, even with T4 shut and all trains going direct to T123, I dont remember seeing trains going in the opposite direction. I also vaguely remember seeing a solid wall on both sides of the train but that is no way definate. I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else here knows? Even in the 70's, Heathrow was a busy airport so I would doubt that they would dig up half the site to construct the tunnels so the deep tunnel method seems likely, but as I said, double check! :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Mine's work in progress, but I've removed several branches of the Overground, a lot of the cluttering symbols (airplanes, boats, crosses etc) and reopened a few stations - the Northern Heights, Brompton Road, Malborough Road, and the Ongar branch.

I'll upload it when I'm done.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

According to

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/piccadilly.html

The first section of tunnel after Hatton Cross [towards Heathrow] is, unusually, "tube-and-cover" - a large hole was dug into which a prefabricated tube was placed; the hole was then filled in.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Ah, I see!

Presumably, the subsequent sections of tunnel are just tube.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I've got a partial design. I've done the track layout but I haven't added any station names yet though. I'll send it to Ollie when I go home later.
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

This is an old one I once made. It replaces the current Circle line with a new one that connects all London terminals and a number of other main stations. Aldgate is left with only one station, and Aldgate-Whitechapel is four-tracked to provide a frequent and reliable H&C line, which is cut back to there.

London Overground forms a full circle, and the Bakerloo is extended to South-East London. The Northern Line is obviously split, and could be extended form Kennington.

This is a newer one: Interchange station at Harringay Green Lanes, a full loop for all the Heathrow Terminals, including a future T6. Crossrails, Cross River tram with extention onto Oxford Street. Met to Watford, Bakerloo there as well. Queens Park - Stratford via Camden Road service, Harringay Green Lanes interchange station, DLR extension via mainline to Tottenham Hale for better connections from North-East to East London.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Sorry to bump a six month old thread, but I found my attempt at this earlier and thought I'd upload it here.

Ch-ch-changes:
No Overground services. Makes the map cleaner.
Park Royal and Hanger Lane stations merged into one. TfL to fund this by renaming the new station "Park Lane" and making money off stupid tourists.
Gunnersbury branch now accessible from Chiswick Park.
Epping-Ongar branch reopened.
Central line no longer goes to West Ruislip, but terminates at Ickenham.
New Works programme finished after World War II - Edgware branch of Northern line now finishes at Bushey Heath, and Edgware station is an interchange for the Mill Hill East branch as well, taking in two new stations.
DLR interchange with Jubilee line on the Isle Of Dogs is at Heron Quays.
New DLR branch stops at Stratford.
Brompton Road station reopened.
Malborough Road station reopened.
Northern line split until Edgware.
Kensington Olympia no longer served by District line trains.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

jamesthegill wrote:Sorry to bump a six month old thread
I would reather people bumped old threads than started new ones - it saves space and revives old stuff that can be quite interesting.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tubeguru wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:Sorry to bump a six month old thread
I would reather people bumped old threads than started new ones - it saves space and revives old stuff that can be quite interesting.
Neil makes a spelling mistake :shock:
One day I shall return!