Tubeguru gets a new job

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Tubeguru gets a new job

Post by greatkingrat »

Do Plymouth drivers go all the way to Paddington, or do the services change driver en route?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

greatkingrat wrote:Do Plymouth drivers go all the way to Paddington, or do the services change driver en route?
Some services do indeed change drivers en route, but a Plymouth driver's full route knowledge is:

Plymouth to Paddington via Bristol
Plymouth to Paddington via Westbury (the B&H line)
Plymouth to Penzance
Newton Abbot to Paignton
Par to Newquay
St Budeaux Ferry Road to Gunnislake
Laira depot

That means I would sign Brunel's entire original main line via both routes. Exeter drivers are the only other ones to do the whole line from Paddington to Penzance. As an example of a job where the Plymouth driver is relieved by someone else, next Monday my turn is the 05.30 Paddington to Swansea. I drive it as far as Bristol and then have my break.

Meanwhile, the man on Plymouth turn 62 has booked on at 04.45, driven an empty HST off Laira into Plymouth station, and then empty to Newton Abbot. Then it's change ends and down to Paignton in passenger service. Finally, it forms the 07.30 Paignton to Paddington via Bristol. He drives it all the way to Bristol where I relieve him after my break. He then has his break at Bristol, and drives a train back to Exeter, where he is relieved by an Exeter man. The Plymouth driver then travels passenger back to Plymouth.

On other occasions, you would book on at Plymouth and either start a train there or relieve a Penzance driver, and drive the train all the way to Paddington via Westbury. You'd then have your break and drive all the way back, again usually via the B&H. There are only two jobs which have Plymouth drivers driving between Bristol and Paddington via Box. I have often had them jumping into the cab at Bristol to route refresh with me.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

So given those various routes, does that mean you'll be driving different stock too?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

uefacup81 wrote:So given those various routes, does that mean you'll be driving different stock too?
Yes.

What I currently sign:

HSTs
Class 08

What Plymouth drivers sign:

HSTs
Class 08
Voyagers (for moves on the depot only)
Class 150
Class 153
Class 57 (for the down sleepers from Exeter to Penzance)

So I have a bit of training to do when I get there!

Member of sweet FA
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I didn't know you'd be willing to 'lower' yourself to 150s and dogboxes? :wink:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

al wrote:I didn't know you'd be willing to 'lower' yourself to 150s and dogboxes? :wink:
Well, it will be quite interesting. And it will mean more variety of work. Plus, there is only one link at Plymouth, so everyone has to sign everything.

Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

tubeguru wrote:Class 57 (for the down sleepers from Exeter to Penzance)
There can't be that many loco-hauled timetabled services on the British rail network these days...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

jamesthegill wrote:
There can't be that many loco-hauled timetabled services on the British rail network these days...
No, just the FGW and ScotRail sleepers. Although ATW run a loco-hauled service. I often pass it leaving Cardiff.

Member of sweet FA
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

tubeguru wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:
No, just the FGW and ScotRail sleepers. Although ATW run a loco-hauled service. I often pass it leaving Cardiff.
Do Class 90 hauled services not count?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

If I recall correctly, ATW used to run another loco service from the valleys to/from Cardiff in the rush hours using Mark 2 carriages.

Arent there summer loco services from Cardiff to Paignton? Or have they stopped now (for good)?I used to catch one a few times last summer/summer before last and remember the distinct old smell of the Mark 2 carriages.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

garion24wales wrote:If I recall correctly, ATW used to run another loco service from the valleys to/from Cardiff in the rush hours using Mark 2 carriages.

Arent there summer loco services from Cardiff to Paignton? Or have they stopped now (for good)?I used to catch one a few times last summer/summer before last and remember the distinct old smell of the Mark 2 carriages.
I never know if they ever stop running the Cardiff to Paignton trains from one year to the next.

I suppose the class 90s on the Anglia routes could count, but they have DVTs on the rear, which makes them more or less the same as the class 91s on the ECML, which also have DVTs on the rear.

Member of sweet FA
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

garion24wales wrote:If I recall correctly, ATW used to run another loco service from the valleys to/from Cardiff in the rush hours using Mark 2 carriages.

Are MkII carriages still in use anywhere on the network then?
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

tubeguru wrote:

I never know if they ever stop running the Cardiff to Paignton trains from one year to the next.

I suppose the class 90s on the Anglia routes could count, but they have DVTs on the rear, which makes them more or less the same as the class 91s on the ECML, which also have DVTs on the rear.
Well surely anything that is hauled by something that can operate on its own counts as a loco-hauled service, as opposed to a DMU/EMU?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

uefacup81 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:

Well surely anything that is hauled by something that can operate on its own counts as a loco-hauled service, as opposed to a DMU/EMU?
My point is that not many people refer to the sets used on the GNER as loco-hauled, despite the fact they are just that. I always considered having a DVT on the back as "cheating".

Member of sweet FA
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

The Fife Circle has regularly had a few loco-hauled services in recent years. Someone better informed than me will know if they're still operating.