Tube Challenge on Wikipedia

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I agree that this is a nice forum. There are some nice people here.
I would love to do a Zone 1 Challenge this year but my mum wont let me come to London on my own :(
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

garion24wales wrote:I agree that this is a nice forum. There are some nice people here.
I would love to do a Zone 1 Challenge this year but my mum wont let me come to London on my own :(
I don't want to pry on your private life but the above contradicts The Doctors first post on this topic....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Anyway, getting back to the topic of this thread ...

I certainly do not give permission for any material from the main Tube Challenge website to be used on a Wikipedia page without being asked first. Simply lifting the text from here is hardly original is it?

I mean, how often do you use the word "ostensibly" in your day-to-day conversations? Not much I bet.

The overall layout of the page is also very bland. A few pieces of the text need links or citations, and the spelling and grammar needs seeing to.

It would have been a better idea if, instead of simply knocking up this half-arsed attempt, you'd suggested it on here first, so we could all have chipped in to make it a good page. Wikipedia rarely works when one person tries to do everything themselves (see wave-form).

The idea of turning the main content of this site into a Wiki was suggested to me before by a member of this forum but it didn't go anywhere at the time.

I would suggest you delete the whole thing and have a rethink, ideally involving all of us so we can come up with something more professional-looking.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I would also point out that Wikipedia articles are supposed to be written from a neutral point of view.

Copying in a piece of text which says that Robert Robinson "will go down in history as a Tube Challenge legend" is hardly unbiased. :)

Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Message to The DOCTOR: MY MUM IS NOT DEAD! She's just in hospital following a minor car crash. And I dont need you spreading rumours and false news about my orivate life! :evil: I have a maths exam in four hours and I dont want to have to put up with you aswell! I dont know what it is with you. You just cause trouble for me.

Edit from Tubeguru: please keep this sort of thing out of the forum - it's childish. Use PMs. Thanks.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

garion24wales wrote:I agree that this is a nice forum. There are some nice people here.
Just tell her that you are meeting 30 strangers that you know through the internet :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

And that they're all men ...

Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

If I tell her that, she'll immediately assume I am going to meet 30 pervs. She thinks the worst of everything. Because I have Asperger's Syndrome, she wont let me do much on my own.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

i didn't realise it was a symptom of asperger syndrome to want to go and meet pervs! tell her you're going to meet another bunch of people with asperger syndrome. it'd be a half truth seeing as there's at least one other on this forum...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Getting back on topic, I feel that it would nevertheless be quite a nice idea to have something about Tube challenging on Wikipedia. I imagine that there might be a few people who search for that sort of thing on there.

But yes, we'd need to be quite careful in constructing the page. It would be nice to make it a joint effort between us.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Starkey7 wrote:But yes, we'd need to be quite careful in constructing the page. It would be nice to make it a joint effort between us.
Which is the whole point of Wikipedia :)

Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I wouldnt mind contributing. I was going to suggest it to you all but since starting college it's taken more of a back seat. And with the exams atm, I'm stressed enough as it is!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

garion24wales wrote:I have a maths exam in four hours
Would that be the Edexcel C1 exam? If so, I've just come home from that!

Good luck with your result,

Jonny
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I did my GCSE maths exam in May 1989.

That was the first year of GCSEs exams.

Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Ummm I dont know. It is C1 but not by Edexcel. The exam body is the Welsh Joint Education commitee. And i needed luck. The paper was hard! My maths teacher joked that A-Level means Ard-Level (Hard Level) and AS means Ard Stuff! :lol: I think I probably failed LOL along with half the class! :)

Anyway there's still June...

I got my physics exam on Friday. I'm confident with that! I love physics! It's easy! (For physics, my maths teacher should rename A-Level to E-Level (Easy-Level :lol: ))