Footballers on the tube

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Footballers on the tube

Post by editorsfoot »

I see Coventry City had to use the tube to get to their game QPR.

However to quote Mickey Adams "We bought 23 single tickets at Hanger Lane station and our unsung hero was Jay Tabb, who knew we had to change at Hammersmith to go to Shepherd's Bush."

He couldn't have been that much of a unsung hero, why go to Hammersmith? I've always got off at White City to go to QPR.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I always used to get off at Goldhawk Road......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Hangar Lane To Shepherds Bush Market via Hammersmith ?!?! How did they do that then? Seems a bit pointless when Shepherds Bush and White City are on the central...
Never mind, at least they did better than CSKA, who suffered are similar fate a few weeks back in Moscow...
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Hold on a minute, aren't there are engineering works on the Central this weekend, so they couldn't have got on a tube at Hangar Lane!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Aha, so they arrived at Hanger Lane hoping to take the sensible route on the Central line, somehow managed to buy their tickets there, and then found out about the closure, so then went on a short warm-up jog over to Park Royal, where they took the Piccadilly Line and changed at Hammersmith.

Either that, or Mickey Adams was so horribly confused about where he was that it was only the unsung heroic efforts of Jay Tabb that stopped them from ending up in Amersham.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

The closest station to QPRs Loftus Road ground is Shepherd's Bush - H & C. So they would not have taken the central line all the way there anyway!
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

Actually the closest is White City. Having been to more than a few QPR matches [my dad and brother being avid followers] we have always and will continue to use White City.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Just to confuse things even more, todays Daily Mail says they actually travelled from Gunnersbury!
Will
Zone 1

Post by Will »

Probably the Daily Mail being crap, as they usually are, but at least I'd think the route from Gunnersbury would involve a fairly certain change at Hammersmith - but getting to the central line from there would not be fun... in fact, the more I look at this muddle, the more confused I get... so I'm going to leave it here!
The DLR goes to Lewisham. The question is, why?
http://www.youtube.com/willannoyslondon
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Im not particularly good at road navigation, but coming from Coventry, I doubt theyd have been at Gunnersbury.

Will: I assume they would not have made an attempt to get onto the central line if they could get on the H&C to Shepherd's Bush.
Will
Zone 1

Post by Will »

*looks again at tube map... laughs at own stupidity, and signs up for extra tube-map reading lessons* :oops:
Sorry - seems I'm yet another of the 'tourists' confused by their being two Shepherd's Bushes :P
The DLR goes to Lewisham. The question is, why?
http://www.youtube.com/willannoyslondon
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

i forgot when it was but i heard Ben fosters mum on the tube she was telling some one how to get to watford and strangly ben foster plays for watford
One has lost the game !!!!!
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

jonny wrote:Im not particularly good at road navigation, but coming from Coventry, I doubt theyd have been at Gunnersbury.
they might have got off the M1 at brent cross, got on the north circular and parked at the first available tube station. the first you come to is hanger lane, and the second is gunnersbury. i think.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Zeibura wrote:
jonny wrote:Im not particularly good at road navigation, but coming from Coventry, I doubt theyd have been at Gunnersbury.
they might have got off the M1 at brent cross, got on the north circular and parked at the first available tube station. the first you come to is hanger lane, and the second is gunnersbury. i think.
Or probably more likely just gone straight down the M40/A40 to Hanger Lane. Or M40/A40, A312 down to the M4, then off at Gunnersbury. Obviously they'd have needed somewhere with a parking space big enough for a coach though.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

the real question is why wasn't there such a space at loftus road :?:
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají