OYSTERCARDS - THE ONLY THREAD!

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: OYSTERCARDS - THE ONLY THREAD!

Post by tubeguru »

One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

And mostly cheaper than the existing rail fares to boot! I wonder if it applies the railcard discount on all NR fares, or still just the cap?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Me and Matt were debating the railcard issue on the phone, will be interesting to see what they come up with, with regard to that.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Conveniently, ATOC have issued a new staff FAQ for Oyster from 2nd January, which covers exactly this subject:
“Does my Railcard entitle me to a discount on PAYG Fares?”

YES – holders of a Disabled Persons, Senior, ’16 -25’ and HM Forces Railcards can register their Railcard at any Tube station or National Rail ticket office that issues Oyster cards, and receive –
  • a discount on PAYG single fares which are wholly or inclusive of travel on National Rail services, and
  • a discount on the ‘off-peak’ daily cap appropriate to the zones in which you travel and means that you do not pay more than a set price irrespective of the number of journeys you make in any one day.
HTH,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Thank you Barry, I shall be doing just that!
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Just in case none of you had noticed, the PAYG Oyster is now valid on all National Rail services to stations within Zones 1-9. Does this make it a valid option now for use on the Full Network challenge or indeed any challenge?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

TFL sent me an email earlier about it. Sounds good :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

I think the timeouts will still bite.

Beware if you have a travelcard loaded on the Oyster and want to travel outside the zonal validity - there's a nasty thing called an OEP, if you don't get one, you could be charged a penalty fare by an inspector. (Because the TOCs are ^&£$^"$)

Also note that an evening peak has been introduced on some services, when using Oyster. For example, a journey off peak from my home station to Clapham Junction is £1.30, peak £2.70... Ok, its still cheaper than a paper ticket off peak, but it's still a rip off...
This mainly is the case since I've got my railcard linked, but they essentially admit themselves that it's stupid - http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/cardhold ... lcard-news
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Edgemaster wrote:I think the timeouts will still bite.
And therefore a paper All-Zones Peak-Time Travelcard will always be cheaper than the equivalent total fares accumulated on PAYG Oyster. Just be careful not to lose it on a Challenge...
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Timeouts are a pain, somebody at my station yesterday got timed out because the train was delayed so caused them to go over the timelimit!! Harsh! Luckily as i'm kind, I rectified it for them :P

Also, OEPs are in place to stop someone just walking out of an ungated station outside of their zones hence making sure the correct fare has been charged. Although, to be honest, i've not got my head totally around them and i'm meant to be advising passengers on using them. Haven't had to issue one yet, that could be another story then...!! :D
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Edgemaster wrote:Beware if you have a travelcard loaded on the Oyster and want to travel outside the zonal validity - there's a nasty thing called an OEP, if you don't get one, you could be charged a penalty fare by an inspector. (Because the TOCs are ^&£$^"$)
Ah, I heard about this - however, I don't understand the purpose. If you can use Oyster PAYG from all National Rail stations within zones 1-9, they must all have scanners for you to touch-in and touch-out. Therefore, surely buying an OEP is adding a complication to the process, as travelcard holders should just be charged the excess when they touch-out, as is the case when using the underground. The scanner should be capable of doing all the work.

Does this mean that there are National Rail stations without scanners within the London zonal area? If so, how are you supposed to use Oyster PAYG at these stations?

I am sure I am missing some crucial piece of information from which all of this will make sense...
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Thanks Matt - this makes sense (although I agree, it is unecessarily complicated). Perhaps there is some better method. Actually, I don't understand why you still don't have to touch-out if you have a season ticket. Granted that when National Rail stations did not have scanners this was necessary. However, if scanners have been installed, this feature could simply be removed.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

I've just learnt that there is a new London Travelcard zone to compliment Zone W, Watford Junction, that of Zone G. I'm guessing that it is named after Grays. For more information see the following link.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... stions.pdf

First thing: has this been implemented thanks to Thurrock, the local authority, paying for the privilege, much as local authorities do in the north east and north west corner, and as such is a political decision of that particular local authority? Or is it c2c's choice as the Train Operating Company of the new stations?

Secondly: Can I now ask for a Travelcard to include zone G stations, much as you can ask for one to include Watford Junction, a.k.a. Zone W? Or is this new zone only available for Oyster Card holders?

Answers gratefully received, although ideally not on a postcard.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:I've just learnt that there is a new London Travelcard zone to compliment Zone W, Watford Junction, that of Zone G.
Thanks for the tip-off.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Tip off? What have you got planned? A visit every travelcard station challenge?