5 Minute Monopoly Quiz

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

hwolge wrote:Starkey - Close, but no cigar! ("ø" is Danish/Norwegian only. In Swedish it's "ö". Bornholm is a Danish island)

Actually they are all terribly boring:

Centralstationen (Central station)
Norra station (North station)
Östra station (East station)
Södra station (South station)

But they are all actual station names in Stockholm...
Norra being Solna or Karlstadt? I've never seen any station named Norra over there. It's strange how there's both a station Södra and Stockholm Syd, which is what Flemingsberg is called sometimes.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

sweek wrote:Norra being Solna or Karlstadt? I've never seen any station named Norra over there. It's strange how there's both a station Södra and Stockholm Syd, which is what Flemingsberg is called sometimes.
Actually, I'm not that familiar with Stockholm. I'm fairly confident all the names were authentic back in the 1930:es(?). Much has changed since. I think "Norra Station" is the one in Solna, since "Norra Stationsgatan" still exists there...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

hwolge wrote:On the other hand we have quite a few listed "combined words" so I'd say there are lots of possibilities to significantly lengthen an already played word.
I bet German scrabble's quite easy in that respect (if you know the language, that is), as it's a well known fact that 67.2089% of words in the Oxford German Dictionary are made up from 4 or more words all strung together.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Beary
Zone 2

Post by Beary »

I never heard that, but it doesn't sound too far-fetched. :shock: You live and learn...
The next station is Beary's Underground - www.london-underground.de
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

According to the 1969 editon of Guinness Book of Records, the longest word in modern use in any language is Swedish: Skensmutsskjutarefackföreningsbeklädnadsförrådsförvaltaren - if my meomory serves me right...

If this is really the case, I'm not sure. Don't trust GWR!!!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Beary wrote:I never heard that, but it doesn't sound too far-fetched. :shock: You live and learn...
LOL - you might have missed my sarcasm there (one clue was the 'Oxford German Dictionary').

Best go back to studying "Conveying Sarcasm through the written word" by some American bloke..... :P
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Beary
Zone 2

Post by Beary »

TheFatBuoy wrote: LOL - you might have missed my sarcasm there (one clue was the 'Oxford German Dictionary').

Best go back to studying "Conveying Sarcasm through the written word" by some American bloke..... :P
Oops! :oops:
The next station is Beary's Underground - www.london-underground.de
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

What does Skensmutsskjutarefackföreningsbeklädnadsförrådsförvaltaren mean then?
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

According to various sites, the longest Swedish word is now

Nordostersj kustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranlggningsmaterielunderhllsuppf ljningssystemdiskussionsinlggsfrberedelsearbeten

meaning

preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion of the maintenance support system for the installation equipment of the northeast coast's air surveillance simulator

Why don't we have words like that?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

tubeguru wrote:
Why don't we have words like that?
Because in English you don't combine words like in Dutch, German and Swedish. Because of the big influence of the English language in the Netherlands these days, people actually start writing words like these apart from each other more and more. It's called the "English disease".
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

tubeguru wrote:preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion of the maintenance support system for the installation equipment of the northeast coast's air surveillance simulator
Hang on a minute - Sweden doesn't even have a northeast coast!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

gasman wrote:
tubeguru wrote:preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion of the maintenance support system for the installation equipment of the northeast coast's air surveillance simulator
Hang on a minute - Sweden doesn't even have a northeast coast!
I think it may be the north east part of the baltic coast artillery
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

editorsfoot wrote:I think it may be the north east part of the baltic coast artillery
You beat me to it...

BTW
Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten - is the proper spelling. Strangely(?) enough I've never heard of it before!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The most recent copy of GWR that I have is the 2000 edition, there is no mention in this book at all of the longest word in the world (also suprisingly no mention of London Underground record times :( )

however... bringing this thread somewhat back on topic the book states that the most valuable Monopoly set is worth US$2,000,000 with the board being made from 23-carat gold and the dice has 42 cut diamonds for spots.
One day I shall return!
dudey
Zone 5

Re: 5 Minute Monopoly Quiz

Post by dudey »

scrxisi wrote:What are the stations on the Worthing version of Monopoly? Worthing, West Worthing? Is there an East Worthing?

This is an horrendous bump based on me searching to see if we'd ever (as a forum) done a challenge based on visiting Monopoly squares (or the nearest stations thereto). I'll keep looking...
I would argue that "greater" Worthing has 5 stations:

Goring-by-Sea, Durrington-on-Sea, West Worthing, Worthing, East Worthing