Two Minutes Silence

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Two Minutes Silence

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote: It was supposed to be two minutes at 11:00 on the 11th November, but then as it is a working day, it moves to Sunday (it will probably next year anyway when it is Saturday), then you can just wait for two years for when it is a Sunday!
Wikipedia says: "From 1919 until 1945, Armistice Day observance was always on 11 November itself. It was then moved to Remembrance Sunday, but since the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in 1995, it has become usual to hold ceremonies on both Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday."
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

GuyBarry wrote:
A Challenge wrote: It was supposed to be two minutes at 11:00 on the 11th November, but then as it is a working day, it moves to Sunday (it will probably next year anyway when it is Saturday), then you can just wait for two years for when it is a Sunday!
Wikipedia says: "From 1919 until 1945, Armistice Day observance was always on 11 November itself. It was then moved to Remembrance Sunday, but since the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in 1995, it has become usual to hold ceremonies on both Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday."
Wikipedia is a lying corrupt non accountable organisation don't sponsor it don't use it :mrgreen:
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I'm glad to say that today's silence at the Cenotaph was rather more respectfully observed than the one on Friday.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
Wikipedia is a lying corrupt non accountable organisation don't sponsor it don't use it :mrgreen:
:roll:
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing. I think I would be more in favour if the whole thing was more overtly anti-war.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Remembrance Day is anti war, but I am strongly for Wikipedia, as it is useful for things like homework and mostly the boxes at the top of a google search results.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
palkanetoijala31

A Challenge wrote:Remembrance Day is anti war, but I am strongly for Wikipedia, as it is useful for things like homework and mostly the boxes at the top of a google search results.
how can u be strongly for an organisation that has no accountability of the inept editors doesn't apologise or admit mistakes when they are wrong it's almost like they are government.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
A Challenge wrote:Remembrance Day is anti war, but I am strongly for Wikipedia, as it is useful for things like homework and mostly the boxes at the top of a google search results.
how can u be strongly for an organisation that has no accountability of the inept editors doesn't apologise or admit mistakes when they are wrong it's almost like they are government.
I suspect your comment about Wikipedia is coloured by past things that have appeared on there ...

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

tubeguru wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
I suspect your comment about Wikipedia is coloured by past things that have appeared on there ...
and the fact that the page is locked as they will not admit the truth and apologise for their three illegal alterations. I played by their rules which are unnaccountable by the way as no central administration. by their own rules they are quoting a Guinness world record which I specifically changed so they cannot quote my name from it using that reference their rules which they seem to be allowed to break I will constantly bash Wikipedia until the day I die. illegal mentally unstable editors which can't take criticism or truth.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
and the fact that the page is locked as they will not admit the truth and apologise for their three illegal alterations. I played by their rules which are unnaccountable by the way as no central administration. by their own rules they are quoting a Guinness world record which I specifically changed so they cannot quote my name from it using that reference their rules which they seem to be allowed to break I will constantly bash Wikipedia until the day I die. illegal mentally unstable editors which can't take criticism or truth.
Thought so.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Any chance of getting this back to the original topic?
A Challenge wrote:Remembrance Day is anti war
I wouldn't say so. Its stated purpose is "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts". It's mainly attended by serving and former military personnel.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:Any chance of getting this back to the original topic?
I wouldn't say so. Its stated purpose is "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts". It's mainly attended by serving and former military personnel.
It definitely isn't pro-war though, and that is the distinction I was trying to make.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

A Challenge wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:Any chance of getting this back to the original topic?
It definitely isn't pro-war though, and that is the distinction I was trying to make.
The way that right-wing frothers go on about it, and poppies, you'd think otherwise ...

Member of sweet FA
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Can I make a suggestion?

Close the topic
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tube Geek wrote:Can I make a suggestion?

Close the topic
Why?

Member of sweet FA