EU Referendum Poll

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!

How do you plan to vote in the EU Referendum?

Poll ended at 24 Jun 2016, 17:15

Remain
59%
Leave
41%
Undecided
No votes
Not Voting
No votes

Total votes: 22

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: EU Referendum Poll

Post by Tube Geek »

Right - my school: 74% remain, 26% leave
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Got the result even without having school - it's only an inset!

67% Remain to 29% Leave (turnout unknown)
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

If they counted, plus other schools, it could have gone the other way in terms if national results

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tube Geek wrote:Flipping hell! That was close! But we are no longer a member of the EU, with just 3.8% between leave and remain!
We are still a full member of the EU.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

I know. But soon we won't. Maybe.

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tube Geek wrote:I know. But soon we won't. Maybe.
It will take a MINIMUM of two YEARS to fully leave. So calm your knickers ...

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:Tube forum was ob Gibraltar's side - 96% remain!
And yet Gibraltar is being taken out of the EU, when it's not even part of the UK - it's a British overseas territory. Something highly undemocratic about that. Could Gibraltar apply for EU membership in its own right? I suppose it would have to declare independence from Britain first and risk being annexed by Spain. Sort of puts Scotland's problems into perspective...
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:
And yet Gibraltar is being taken out of the EU, when it's not even part of the UK - it's a British overseas territory. Something highly undemocratic about that. Could Gibraltar apply for EU membership in its own right? I suppose it would have to declare independence from Britain first and risk being annexed by Spain. Sort of puts Scotland's problems into perspective...
It would have to meet all the conditions (unlikely), and then get approval of the remaining 27 states. Not happening, same as Turkey.

Member of sweet FA
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

tubeguru wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
It would have to meet all the conditions (unlikely), and then get approval of the remaining 27 states. Not happening, same as Turkey.
San Marino, Vatican City, Luxembourg, Litchenstien and Andorra.

None of which meet the criteria of GDP! (niether does Greece...)
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

[Gibraltar]
tubeguru wrote: It would have to meet all the conditions (unlikely), and then get approval of the remaining 27 states. Not happening, same as Turkey.
Here are the membership criteria from the EU's website:
  • stable institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights and respect for and protection of minorities;
  • a functioning market economy and the capacity to cope with competition and market forces in the EU;
  • the ability to take on and implement effectively the obligations of membership, including adherence to the aims of political, economic and monetary union.
As far as I'm aware, Gibraltar already meets all these conditions - if it didn't, it wouldn't have been allowed in the EU!

Approval of the other 27 states is presumably the sticking-point, since Spain will never accept it.
A Challenge wrote:San Marino, Vatican City, Luxembourg, Litchenstien and Andorra.
Apart from Luxembourg, are any of those actually in the EU? I don't think so.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:As far as I'm aware, Gibraltar already meets all these conditions - if it didn't, it wouldn't have been allowed in the EU!
But it was in the EU as part of UK, because we met them, not because it on its own met them.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:As far as I'm aware, Gibraltar already meets all these conditions - if it didn't, it wouldn't have been allowed in the EU!
But it was in the EU as part of UK, because we met them, not because it on its own met them.
Gibraltar isn't part of the UK. It's a British overseas territory with its own parliament and government. None of the other British overseas territories are part of the EU. (Nor are the Isle of Man and Channel Islands.)

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Well, on Tuesday I'm heading up to see my folks in Scotland. Will an Englishman be welcome, I wonder? Perhaps the outcome of this vote affects some of us immediately... :?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

RobbieM wrote:Well, on Tuesday I'm heading up to see my folks in Scotland. Will an Englishman be welcome, I wonder? Perhaps the outcome of this vote affects some of us immediately... :?
In one of my old posts cycling from John o groats to lands end especially on the border they really if not hated didn't make us feel welcome.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:[Gibraltar]
tubeguru wrote: It would have to meet all the conditions (unlikely), and then get approval of the remaining 27 states. Not happening, same as Turkey.
Here are the membership criteria from the EU's website:
  • stable institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights and respect for and protection of minorities;
  • a functioning market economy and the capacity to cope with competition and market forces in the EU;
  • the ability to take on and implement effectively the obligations of membership, including adherence to the aims of political, economic and monetary union.
As far as I'm aware, Gibraltar already meets all these conditions - if it didn't, it wouldn't have been allowed in the EU!

Approval of the other 27 states is presumably the sticking-point, since Spain will never accept it.
A Challenge wrote:San Marino, Vatican City, Luxembourg, Litchenstien and Andorra.
Apart from Luxembourg, are any of those actually in the EU? I don't think so.
I was talking about Turkey.

Member of sweet FA