Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Post by tubeguru »

crypto wrote:
DrainBrain wrote:Also, isn't it le Royaume-Uni?
Apparently so. Had in my head that countries were feminine.
Some are.

La Belgique, La Chine, et er, La France, pour ne citer que quelques-uns.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

crypto wrote:
tubeguru wrote:But what's that got to do with basic French counting?
It's imperative to know at least to twelve for Eurovision. "La Royaume Uni: douze points" (has not been said in a very long while)
Actually you only need to know the French for 8, 10 and 12 points, for several years now the point 1-7 are put straight up on the scoreboard and the spokesman for each country just announces the top three marks.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

hopeful traveller wrote:Odd this year. I seem to like everything everyone else doesn't, like Belgium, Moldova, Finland, Ireland, and the UK. Russia were favourite to win but after first rehearsals they're drifting like a barge and the UK are the big movers in the other direction. General consensus (Wiwibloggs etc) is that UK has the best staging of anybody.
Sorry but the UK doesn't stand a chance this year, it's a good song for the radio but there is no way it will win Eurovision. It is far too mediocre and will get lost in amongst some very strong songs this year. I predict last place for the UK....! My theory behind this is that of the 6 pre-qualified songs ours is the worst and the other 20 songs in the final will have qualified so have a better chance than the UK.

What are you talking about in regards to Russia??? You are totally wrong about them drifting. They started at about 6-1, and once all the songs had been selected the odds came down to around 3-1, I placed a bet on them at 9-4 and if you look now 6-5 is about the best odds you will get. With a strong song this year Russia will pick up stacks of 8, 10 and 12 points from their neighbours which should be enough to see them home. The only doubt I have is with the new scoring system, I think Russia will win the public vote but I'm not sure how the juries will score them.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:Odd this year. I seem to like everything everyone else doesn't, like Belgium, Moldova, Finland, Ireland, and the UK. Russia were favourite to win but after first rehearsals they're drifting like a barge and the UK are the big movers in the other direction. General consensus (Wiwibloggs etc) is that UK has the best staging of anybody.
Sorry but the UK doesn't stand a chance this year, it's a good song for the radio but there is no way it will win Eurovision. It is far too mediocre and will get lost in amongst some very strong songs this year. I predict last place for the UK....! My theory behind this is that of the 6 pre-qualified songs ours is the worst and the other 20 songs in the final will have qualified so have a better chance than the UK.

What are you talking about in regards to Russia??? You are totally wrong about them drifting. They started at about 6-1, and once all the songs had been selected the odds came down to around 3-1, I placed a bet on them at 9-4 and if you look now 6-5 is about the best odds you will get. With a strong song this year Russia will pick up stacks of 8, 10 and 12 points from their neighbours which should be enough to see them home. The only doubt I have is with the new scoring system, I think Russia will win the public vote but I'm not sure how the juries will score them.
The new system of adding the combined public vote for each country is a good idea, and may well count against Russia, given that lots of people hate Putin for his foreign policy. So while neighbouring juries may give 10 and 12, the public vote may swing it in favour of their nearest rival come the end.

As for us, I don't think we'll come dead last. That honour is reserved for France, I feel. :)

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tubeguru wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:

The new system of adding the combined public vote for each country is a good idea, and may well count against Russia, given that lots of people hate Putin for his foreign policy. So while neighbouring juries may give 10 and 12, the public vote may swing it in favour of their nearest rival come the end.

As for us, I don't think we'll come dead last. That honour is reserved for France, I feel. :)
France will be on the left hand side I think, quite how far up I don't know. I certainly don't think France will be last.
One day I shall return!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Question: Do we / the UK / the BBC have an obligation to enter the Eurovision Song Contest every year? If not, why do we bother?

If we vote for Brexit next month, can we stop???
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

If you mean do we have to enter each year, then no. We can quit whenever we want! But, being part of the Big 5, it is just a bit of fun on the night!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

michael_churchill wrote:Question: Do we / the UK / the BBC have an obligation to enter the Eurovision Song Contest every year? If not, why do we bother?

If we vote for Brexit next month, can we stop???
The outcome of the EU Referendum will have no bearing on our continued entry to Eurovision. As long as the BBC are members of the EBU they can continue to enter or not enter as the case may be.
In terms of the cost to the BBC it is actually quite small compared to some other programmes, basically you get two semi finals and the final for roughly the cost of one episode of Dr Who.
Given the huge viewing figures the contest continues to attract the BBC would be stupid to pull out. Personally I think the BBC should spend more on the selection process so we have a better chance of finding a decent entry. In recent years our selection process has been a joke. If we had something like the Swedish Melodifest on BBC1 primetime on a Saturday in place of The Voice I think it would be really popular.
One day I shall return!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Tonight's predictions from me (a bit late), partly my opinions, partly knowing what they usually go for!

In the order they perform;

Finland
Moldova
Hungary
Croatia
Russia
Cyprus
Austria
Azerbaijan
Iceland
Malta

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

7/10

I'll take that!

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Shame about San Marino.

Member of sweet FA
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

I agree - I didn't guess them as usually the best ones don't go through. At least #NED got through though!

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Remind me when Eurovision was last decided on the actual song ...

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:Remind me when Eurovision was last decided on the actual song ...
Probably Lordi Finland what a ******* tune
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

tubeguru wrote:Remind me when Eurovision was last decided on the actual song ...
When katrina and the Waves won in the 90's
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.