Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Post by greatkingrat »

But most of those 85% probably don't watch Eurovision in the first place. The sort of people who a) watch it and b) actually bother to phone in and vote are not typical of the population as a whole.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Tube Geek wrote:My predictions for tomorrow, again in the order they perform

Switzerland
Israel
Serbia
Republic of Ireland
Lithuania
Australia
Denmark
Norway
Georgia
Belgium

Also, I'm definitely getting the app so I can vote tonight!
I managed 8 the other night just missing Malta and Czech Republic from my 10, tonights Semi is a little harder to call though...
The ones I think will make it through are:
Latvia
Poland
Switzerland
Serbia
Ireland
Lithuania
Australia
Bulgaria
Denmark
Ukraine

You can get some good odds on Betway on which countries will/won't qualify, they're offering a very generous 9-1 on Switzerland qualifying, or if you fancy Ukraine to fail to make it 11-1.

Just wondered what everyone else thought about the number of songs that qualify for the final? I love the contest but personally I think 26 in the final is too many, I would prefer only 8 or 9 to qualify from each semi and then just have 22 or 24 in the final.
One day I shall return!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

I HATE Ukraine's! And I'd be worried if they got through, as Russia did on Tuesday. And am I allowed to change my predictions? I was listening to the previews and missed one out!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Actually just found some far better odds... Switzerland are 16-1 to qualify on Betfair, surely that has to be worth a punt?
And Ukraine 25-1 not to qualify. I wouldn't waste your money on that bet though, as I'm sure Ukraine will get to the final.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Tube Geek wrote:I HATE Ukraine's! And I'd be worried if they got through, as Russia did on Tuesday. And am I allowed to change my predictions? I was listening to the previews and missed one out!
Of course, you can do what you like... I'd say watch the show and put up your selections after the live performances if you want!
If you hate Ukraine that much be bold and have a little bet at 25-1 not to qualify. It's 2nd favourite to win the contest outright!
The last time that such a highly rated song failed to make the final was Selma from Iceland in 2005.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have to say that for me, no Eurovision song has grabbed me as much as Albania's 2012 entry did. You know the one - everyone does. It's my favourite Eurovision song ever.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Soup Dragon wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:I HATE Ukraine's! And I'd be worried if they got through, as Russia did on Tuesday. And am I allowed to change my predictions? I was listening to the previews and missed one out!
Of course, you can do what you like... I'd say watch the show and put up your selections after the live performances if you want!
If you hate Ukraine that much be bold and have a little bet at 25-1 not to qualify. It's 2nd favourite to win the contest outright!
The last time that such a highly rated song failed to make the final was Selma from Iceland in 2005.
Phew - I can't believe I missed Latvia!

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Great. The app won't let me vote without calling, and I have it on my laptop. :| :x :evil:

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Soup Dragon wrote: The ones I think will make it through are:
Latvia
Poland
Switzerland
Serbia
Ireland
Lithuania
Australia
Bulgaria
Denmark
Ukraine
7/10 for both of us. Alright, I think

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tube Geek wrote:Great. The app won't let me vote without calling, and I have it on my laptop. :| :x :evil:
Yeah, UK viewers can only vote by calling.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Based on how the semi finals have gone I shall revise my view of the UK's chances and say we won't come dead last. My reasons for a change of heart are:

1. We've been placed to sing 25th, possibly by then people we be getting a bit bored and if the lads perform well they could liven things up!
2. Songs suggested to be appealing to similar groups of voters (Denmark & Ireland) are now out of the contest, leaving the way clear for Joe & Jake!
3. No Scandinavian countries qualified apart from hosts Sweden, without neighbours to vote for where will these votes go? The UK could pick up some of these votes, as will Latvia, Lithuania and perhaps The Netherlands.
4. The weakest song in the final is Czech Republic and is drawn to perform 2nd, so this song I think could be destined for last place, but sadly I still can't see us finishing much higher than around 20th.

My dark horse for the contest would have been The Netherlands but I think being placed 3rd in the order has done them no favours, so this honour will go to Armenia, getting to perform 26th with a good performance could see them doing very well. Don't expect Azerbaijan to give Armenia any votes though, especially after their shenanigans on Tuesday evening.
One day I shall return!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

A few random predictions for tomorrow night-

Nul Points - no-one

UK position - 23rd

Champion - Russia, Ukraine or France

Barbara Dex Award - Croatia
Last edited by Tube Geek on 13 May 2016, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

COYR
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Soup Dragon wrote: 3. No Scandinavian countries qualified apart from hosts Sweden, without neighbours to vote for where will these votes go? The UK could pick up some of these votes, as will Latvia, Lithuania and perhaps The Netherlands.
Even if you don't qualify for the final, you still get to vote. So, by your logic, all the scandinavian votes will go to Sweden.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

michael_churchill wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote: 3. No Scandinavian countries qualified apart from hosts Sweden, without neighbours to vote for where will these votes go? The UK could pick up some of these votes, as will Latvia, Lithuania and perhaps The Netherlands.
Even if you don't qualify for the final, you still get to vote. So, by your logic, all the scandinavian votes will go to Sweden.
Yes, but Sweden can't vote for them, so we may pick up some votes from them

COYR
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I've found a ESC database web site at http://www.eschome.net

I don't have the time, but it would be interesting to predict which of the qualified countries each country would vote for, based on past history.

For instance http://www.eschome.net/databaseoutput127.php shows the UK's voting history. I would use the Points (%) column, i.e. what percentage of the total number of points that we could give that we did give. However, that's skewed towards the countries that haven't appeared often - Australia come top because we voted them second on their first appearance last year.