Garion gets a new job!

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Garion gets a new job!

Post by greatkingrat »

Are you going to be moving to Bristol, or commuting from Cardiff?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Sam wrote:Temple Meads or Parkway?
Temple Meads

greatkingrat wrote:Are you going to be moving to Bristol, or commuting from Cardiff?
A mixture of both. I've sourced a nice little caravan park where I can stay in the week and I'll go home at weekends.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

And so I started yesterday with a local induction at Temple Meads followed by the corporate induction today.

Yesterday involved meeting the station staff and then a tour of the station. Unknown to me was that there is a vast network of tunnels that run under Temple Meads. We went down a few of the tunnels and had a look around. After that, we talked to the Network Rail manager who told us more of the future plans for the area. We also paid a visit to Brunel's original part of the station, soon to be refurbished for the GWML electrification.

The day finished with me assisting the supervisor with emptying the ticket machines and then staying in the ticket office watching the others and seeing how they work and what they do.

Today involved a trip to Swindon Town FC for the first day of the corporate induction with the usual new-job stuff featuring information about the company, aims, values etc.

Spread throughout the day was four quizzes and the team who won at the end of the day were awarded a prize. We started off third and coming into the fourth quiz we were joint first. Thanks to some impressive railway knowledge and geographical information, I managed to win it for the team and secured the grand prize of.......The Railway Season 1 DVD :P

If people want me to, I'll post another update on the weekend :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Yes, keep us updated! :D Sounding good so far!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Garion wrote:Unknown to me was that there is a vast network of tunnels that run under Temple Meads.
There used to be a secret door from one of those tunnels which comes out in the roadway under one of the railway bridges, near the old cattle market. Long-closed now.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Okay, bit late but here's what I've been upto lately.

The day after my last message, I did a day of training regarding customers and putting them first. Pretty normal things like how to deliver good customer service, how to help and stuff.

Since last week, I've also learned how to administer basic first aid, how to avoid conflicts (and deal with conflicts) and how to evacuate a train/what to do in an emergency. We also learnt about fire and how to deal with fire and what to do etc.

With the conflict course, one highlight of the day was when one of the trainers "randomly" came in and started swearing at one of the trainees to our surprise. The point of that was to demonstrate a possible situation in the real world where should this happen, we can report it and we were taught how to.

With the train evacuation, we were taken down the Marsh and let loose on an old BR Mark 2 carriage. Each member of the class was given a role (I was an off duty member of staff) and we all took part in an evacuation exercise where we had to de-train passengers and assist. I was given the lovely job of making sure everyone stayed in the safe area which was challenging when the "drunks" kept walking off :P

After that, the carriage was filled up with smoke and we all went through it twice. Once walking through and the second time we crawled through. The heat in the carriage was intense as it was supposed to simulate a fire environment.

This week, more theory stuff where we learnt about disability awareness including how to deal with disabled customers and customers with other issues. We also experimented with the yellow ramps used at stations and one member of the group very nearly chopped his fingers off when he flung the ramps open. We also did the PIDD course where we were shown how to communicate with passengers and deal with them during times of disruption.

Today started the retail aspect of the job where we learned about the geographical aspect of the company and to locate stations both on the network and other TOC's and the Underground. Today definitely showed my knowledge of LO & NR as I answered almost everything that was thrown at me. We learnt more about headcodes (e.g. 1A24) and how to identify trains as well as learning in more detail about timetables and how to direct customers.

It's been an enjoyable few days with today being probably the best. I "accidentaly" corrected the trainer when he said Robert Beck created the Tube Map). I say accidental...it just came out without thinking (was kinda funny as I wasn't listening properly as I was looking at the map when I spoke. I managed to have the class in stitches though after our trainer pretended to walk out) In his defence, his colleague told him that a while ago. I also had several "How do you know all this" questions especially when I used the station master app to tell me the door position for a Bakerloo > Jubilee change at Baker Steet. Everyone was asking me for help when it come to the LU stuff. Several people joked that they're going to send people to me for advice when customers approach them!

I've got four more days of Retail Foundation Training and then got my STAR training. Tomorrow we're doing tickets...
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Garion wrote:With the train evacuation, we were taken down the Marsh and let loose on an old BR Mark 2 carriage. Each member of the class was given a role (I was an off duty member of staff) and we all took part in an evacuation exercise where we had to de-train passengers and assist. I was given the lovely job of making sure everyone stayed in the safe area which was challenging when the "drunks" kept walking off :P

After that, the carriage was filled up with smoke and we all went through it twice. Once walking through and the second time we crawled through. The heat in the carriage was intense as it was supposed to simulate a fire environment.
I remember doing the very same thing in that very coach several years ago now ...

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

STAR ticketing system is a doddle to use, you'll have no issues :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

FOR THOSE of us not in the know of rail knowledge can u explain it to us birthday girl!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

It's just the system that is used to issue tickets :-)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:FOR THOSE of us not in the know of rail knowledge can u explain it to us birthday girl!
It's a ticketing system. It even says it in the name.

Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

As mentioned its the thing used to do the tickets. Half of the class didn't know that it was touch screen :P

Having seen this being used during my first day, I found today rather easy. We all made tickets from x to y including various railcards and the odd travelcard up to London. It was fun :) Had that been a real day and I would have sold almost £1000 worth of tickets :P
Zone 1 Winner 2009

Comic Relief 2015