Tory boy

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: Tory boy

Post by hopeful traveller »

GuyBarry wrote:
tubeguru wrote:It's a tax.
It's a benefit reduction. The government is giving people less rather than taking away more. In practical terms there's little difference - the net effect is that they have less money - but reductions in benefit aren't the same as taxes. People who don't claim housing benefit aren't affected by this so-called "tax".
THIS.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:
tubeguru wrote:It's a tax.
It's a benefit reduction. The government is giving people less rather than taking away more. In practical terms there's little difference - the net effect is that they have less money - but reductions in benefit aren't the same as taxes. People who don't claim housing benefit aren't affected by this so-called "tax".
Semantics ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

What ever you like to call it it is still less money in the pocket of the people who are effected. Many of which are already at the minimum amount of money the government says you need to live on.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I know that perfectly well. I'm on housing benefit myself, though fortunately I'm not affected by the under-occupancy penalty since I live in a one-bedroom flat. I have however been affected by other benefit changes that have had less publicity, such as the change from council tax benefit to council tax support, which affects far more people than the so-called "bedroom tax".

I just get a bit annoyed when people use inaccurate terminology to make political points. Why not just call a reduction in housing benefit a reduction in housing benefit?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Yep it has effected my sister who now has to pay 25% of her council tax where she was exempt before so she now has to pay £30pm which on top of everything else makes life just that bit harder.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:I just get a bit annoyed when people use inaccurate terminology to make political points.
So every time a politician opens their mouth then?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:I just get a bit annoyed when people use inaccurate terminology to make political points.
So every time a politician opens their mouth then?
That's about right.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

To unlock the William Hague bonus level (and very difficult), when it asks to to 'select a candidate', instead of clicking on Dave, Gideon, or Boris, click on the words 'select a candidate'.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

hopeful traveller wrote:However, we want to make sure that work pays. It's not right that benefits can increase higher than wages: we're all in this together.

Seeing as I've talked about the removal of the Spare Room Subsidy endlessly, I won't go again.
Great, now I'm going to have this stuck in my head all day...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.