Out of station connections to show on a map

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Out of station connections to show on a map

Post by tractakid »

Station Master recently tweeted about this map here: http://www.londonlayout.co.uk/

I really quite enjoy examining and criticising maps, and sent an email to the creator with some of my thoughts.

One of the criticisms I had was potential inconsistency with how out of station interchanges are shown. Some are shown as single stations, like the three editions of West Hampstead. Understandable perhaps as they have the same name and are so close together. But then you have Canary Wharf, shown as a single DLR and Tube station, where the connection to the DLR is actually shorter at Heron Quays (but better service going northbound from Canary Wharf of course).

I do think this map is missing some non borderline cases though, such as Kenton to Northwick Park, Hackney Downs to Hackney Central.

Another consideration could be whether or not it is an official OSI.

What are people's thoughts on deciding what should be included in such a map? Should it be based on distance, usefulness, official interchange status, or what? Is it better to look at each case on a case by case basis, or apply a formula to aim for the best consistency?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
moley
Site Administrator

Re: Out of station connections to show on a map

Post by moley »

I like the map, I just dont like what they have done to Earl's Court.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Hmmm GPS looks nearer to Warren Street than Regent's Park

Paddington looks like one station - the H&C bit is further away from the Bakerloo bit than the two Edgware Roads I'd have thought.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Iain wrote:Paddington looks like one station - the H&C bit is further away from the Bakerloo bit than the two Edgware Roads I'd have thought.
The thing with Paddington is that both LU parts are part of a complex of platforms collectively known as Paddington, so despite LU parts being seperate, they form a kind of sandwich around the NR bit.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I know what you mean, I just don't think it's helpful to potential passengers to show them as one.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
14thdwarf
Zone 1

Post by 14thdwarf »

I've been thinking about the Paddington issue. And I have a criteria that may help decide where the station layout is needed. If travelling from Royal Oak to Bayswater is it quicker to change at Paddington or Edgware Road. I would change at Paddington myself
That said the answer probably depends on fitness and baggage etc.

However if changing at Paddington makes most sense the walk is an unpleasant surprise but the map isn't misleading enough to suggest a second rate interchange.