An open letter to the BBC regarding Eurovision

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

An open letter to the BBC regarding Eurovision

Post by hopeful traveller »

[ADDRESSES ETC]

Dear Sir/Ma’am,

QUALITY AND SELECTION PROCESS OF THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST

I am writing to complain over the on-screen attitude by Scott Mills, Ana Matronic, and Graham Norton towards the Eurovision Song Contest, the poor quality of the BBC’s selection process, and the poor quality of the ‘internally chosen’ entrants. As a Eurovision Song Contest fan, I find it insulting that the BBC encourages us to laugh and make fun of the Eurovision Song Contest, whilst clearly trying not to win. I find this unacceptable when the UK has such a good historic record at the Eurovision Song Contest. Since 2011, the BBC has not let the public have any say in the United Kingdom’s contestant for the Eurovision Song Contest and no choice of song since 2008.

Firstly, the BBC encourage the viewing public in the United Kingdom to have ‘Eurovision parties’ and ‘drinking games’, whereupon the viewer is encouraged by commentator Graham Norton for the Grand Final (and to a lesser extent by Scott Mills and Ana Matronic for the Semi Finals) to drink a shot of alcohol every time there is a ‘gimmick’ or pyrotechnic on stage. This mocks the Eurovision Song Contest, which was set up to promote peace across a post-war Europe, and mocking another country is not in the contest’s intentions. This is also hypocritical of the BBC, as countless times on other programmes the viewer is force-fed information to discourage the consumption of alcohol. In addition, it is clear to the viewer that Matronic, Mills, and Norton do not want to win the contest, as they do not take the contest seriously and they often cheer on other artists. For example, in 2013, Matronic supported the Montenegrin entry, “Igranka”, and Norton supported the Irish entry, “Only Love Survives”. I understand that the BBC is supposed to be impartial, but this does not stop the sports presenters cheering on British athletes, such as Ben Edwards’s favouritism of Lewis Hamilton and Max Chilton and David Coulthard’s favouritism of Paul di Resta. There is, therefore, a serious lack of support for the United Kingdom’s entries in the Eurovision Song Contest from the BBC. It would also be beneficial if the Facebook and Twitter accounts (“BBC Eurovision” and “@BBCEurovision”) were used all year, as per the official European Broadcasting Union accounts on Facebook and Twitter (“Eurovision Song Contest” and “@Eurovision”). The BBC Eurovision website should also be regularly updated during the ‘off-season’.

Secondly, the BBC has not given the viewer any input for three consecutive years (at the time of writing) over who will represent the United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest. In addition, the viewer has not had any input over song choice since 2008. The BBC laid too much of the decision to one particular individual when the BBC could be bothered to put together a proper selection process with multiple heats and semi finals in recent times: Sir Terry Wogan in 2008, Lord Lloyd Webber in 2009. In 2008, Sir Terry Wogan elected to keep in Andy Abraham after being rejected by the viewing public in his first heat. Abraham eventually went on to represent the United Kingdom and finished last. In 2009, Lord Lloyd Webber elected to keep in Jade Ewen in the Semi Finals of Eurovision: Your Country Needs You!, despite being rejected by the public. Lord Lloyd Webber later regretted his decision, saying that if the United Kingdom had picked a different artist, then ‘we [the United Kingdom] could have come second’. Prior to 2008 (and in 2010), the selection process was often shown on one night only, and prior to 2004, with a cheap Semi Final on BBC Radio 2. I would suggest that BBC Radio 1 have some input in Eurovision: Your Country Needs You! or some form of selection show with multiple heats and Semi Finals (such as Melodifestivalen), as the target audience of BBC Radio 2 is different to the vast majority of European voters, whereas the target audience of BBC Radio 1 is rather similar.

Lastly, the BBC does not appreciate that sending a big name does not guarantee success, as was shown with the failure of Engelbert Humperdinck in 2012 and relative failures of Blue in 2011 and Bonnie Tyler in 2013. Bonnie Tyler may be my favourite musical artist, but the song just wasn’t good enough at the end of the day (I preferred the entry from San Marino, “Crisalide (Vola)”, which did not make it through the Semi Finals). In addition, the BBC hammers home the ‘political’ aspect to the viewer, despite the fact that rule changes since 2009 make the contest less political, and it is possible for countries such as Germany to win, as they did in 2010, by a significant margin. The BBC should not be wilfully blind to Germany winning and say that politics is why the United Kingdom cannot win. If anything, the United Kingdom enjoys a political advantage from Ireland every year, whereas Germany does not have any voting ‘partners’ or blocs. This shows that the United Kingdom can win the contest. It would also not be too expensive; it would cost a fraction of the BBC’s budget. According to The Guardian, the BBC spends £2,975,000,000 per year. The Eurovision Song Contest 2013 cost Swedish television company SVT, when converted to GBP, £12,390,000. This was easily regained by SVT, as the Eurovision Song Contest brought in advertising and ticketing revenue, when converted to GBP, of £107,905,600. This shows that the United Kingdom, with a far bigger economy and budget than Sweden, can afford to host the contest.

I hope that the United Kingdom can be restored, on a regular basis, to its former Eurovision Song Contest glory.

Yours Faithfully,

RHYS BENJAMIN
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: An open letter to the BBC regarding Eurovision

Post by tractakid »

scrxisi wrote:lol
*like*
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
hopeful traveller
All Zones

They have read all my complaints in the past - and although they may not take my advice onboard, it would be, erm, interesting to see their response.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

We had a drinking Euro family party at Worthing a few years back with themed beers from the partaking countries... Also every time the UK got votes you had to do a lap of the "coffee" table corresponding to the number given, 12 votes = 12 laps... I forget our entry that year but they must have done OK cos I was hot, sweaty and knackered by the end of the voting :!: :lol:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Sounds like 2009, Kev! Only time since 2002 that we've had over 100 points. :roll:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hopeful traveller wrote:Sounds like 2009, Kev! Only time since 2002 that we've had over 100 points. :roll:
Sounds about right, what was out entry that year?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Going Underground wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:Sounds like 2009, Kev! Only time since 2002 that we've had over 100 points. :roll:
Sounds about right, what was out entry that year?
It's in the letter. Jade Ewen feat. Andrew Lloyd Webber - It's My Time.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

The BBC have received my letter and have passed it on...
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I thought they'd forwarded it to W. P. Basket :lol:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Now now, don't mock. Hopeless Traveller is doing his best to address the pressing issues of the day here.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The last time that the UK won the Eurovision Song Contest, the singer was American. Maybe that's the secret winning formula.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
hopeful traveller
All Zones

GuyBarry wrote:The last time that the UK won the Eurovision Song Contest, the singer was American. Maybe that's the secret winning formula.
Since when were The Waves American?

Yes, I know what you mean...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:The last time that the UK won the Eurovision Song Contest, the singer was American. Maybe that's the secret winning formula.

Nice try, but he said the SINGER was American, which is 100% accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katrina_Leskanich

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

tubeguru wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:

Nice try, but he said the SINGER was American, which is 100% accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katrina_Leskanich
I hate to repeat myself, but...
hopeful traveller wrote:Yes, I know what you mean...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Why don't you type it in the same size as the rest of your post then?

Member of sweet FA