Video Number 5 ...

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
geofftech
All Zones

Video Number 5 ...

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 13 Oct 2013, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Video Number 5 ...

Post by tractakid »

I do quite like the rail corridor north of Queen's Park, but not in a way suitable for the short sharp facts format these videos take.

What do I like?

It's my way home. After a good or bad day's tube challenging, it's an opportunity to reflect on the day. Only if i'm on a slow London Midland train do I stop at any of the stations though...

I like the variety of services passing through the corridor. You've got 2 parallel lines which run on different electrification methods, the DC lines hosting the Bakerloo and Overground, and the OHLE hosting the almighty West Coast Main Line.

What services do we have? Virgin Trains speed past heading for Wolverhampton, Holyhead, (+Wrexham), Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow and even Edinburgh, we have the regional London Midland services (stopping at some stations shared with the Bakerloo), heading to Birmingham via Northampton, Crewe, and if we're counting Watford Junction, St Albans. We have the odd Southern service from Milton Keynes to South Croydon, Southern's only venture into OHLE land, requiring a changeover between Wembley and Shepherd's Bush. We have London Overground all stops from Euston to Watford Junction (Every train identical stopping pattern!) and the lowly Bakerloo, running on Network Rail managed tracks. It fascinates me that London Underground trains fit the Network Rail system, showing just like any other National Rail trains on this section. Finally, we also have the ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper, providing a rather unique service to Fort William, Inverness, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Because of this train remarkably remote stations such as Corrour have a direct service to/from London.

I like the fact that at Wembley Central, the mainline platforms are locked shut except 5 minutes before a train is due. This is the hourly Southern plus London Midland in the dead of night... but even better... at Queens Park they are locked shut all the time as there are no services... or are there?! Yes- the secret London Midland calls, also in the dead of night!

As for interesting Bakerloo facts though... there's the 'Mind the STEP' on the platforms at Kenton. The lack of barriers at South Kenton... and um. yeah that's about it. Could possibly mention a journey tip- sometimes it's beneficial to make a cross platform dash to get the Overground at Queens Park that will depart first, even if you are on a train heading to Harrow and Wealdstone. This happened on my first successful completion!

Favourite fact of the video was about how Bakerloo drivers have to stroll along the track to get to the trains at the start of service. That's crazy!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Nothing about Edgware Road? I quite like the station. Though I guess you skipped it because it's "temporarily closed".
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Tracktakid: how else do you think drivers get to trains that are in sidings? :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Not really thought about it before. Also, learn to spell :P
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tractakid wrote:Favourite fact of the video was about how Bakerloo drivers have to stroll along the track to get to the trains at the start of service. That's crazy!
A lot of "authorised walking routes" are along the trackside. In many cases, it's the only way to get to your train.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Brock
Zone 1

Post by Brock »

That's really interesting. I remember being shown the "secret" passage at Piccadilly Circus when I was young.

What I really want to know is how Trafalgar Square station managed to transform itself into Charing Cross overnight, while Strand station on the Northern line took about six years to do the same thing :?