Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Iain
All Zones

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Iain »

It was a day of filthy weather at York, but a lovely course. If it had been nicer weather it would be good for a fast time as it's pancake flat with barely any turns and a good surface.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I've just been out for an Easy Paced training run with Ping Pon.
He reckoned that he would never get under 30 minutes for 5km, but he just managed 28:09.
He just wanted to let Beer Baron and Going Underground know his time.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Caps off to Ping Pon, that is very impressive !!
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Going Underground wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 13:05 Caps off to Ping Pon, that is very impressive !!
Now he just needs to get a Saturday off and do a Parkrun to get his name officially on the list!
One day I shall return!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Well that was blowy! Hove Promenade with waves crashing into shore just yards away, with one direction with and one against the wind. I was going for sub 34 but know I slow down, so I set off with the sub 33 pacer, felt comfortable so went ahead and caught up with the sub 34 pacer several minutes later! The course is two "laps", but the lap is essentially an out and back starting halfway down one side, and cones at each end. The sub 28 pacer was wearing a boob costume, which was a bit weird seeing coming in the opposite direction. The sub 33 pacer passed me about 500m from the end, but I put on a final spurt and got back in front. My watch ha me time as 32:40, but they knocked 27 seconds off. On the right day this would be a super fast course (or for a faster runner). Well worth a visit!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Today was a windy Woolacombe downs defo a very hard Parkrun the sand travelator is a killer u can't run up it at all and the hill at the end after running on sand for 85% is a killer hence my time being very slow.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Wow, what a windy Parkrun, 45mph SW is not what is needed for Worthing Parkrun. I had planned to do Guildford or East Grinstead in an attempt to avoid the wind, but a last minute change of plans as Ping Pon was given Saturday off, so I decided to do Worthing with him instead. I'm pleased to say that we got the pacing dead right for Ping Pon, the pace on the way out was over 6min/km but with the wind behind us Ping Pon sailed home in 28:28.
After the race he mentioned that he had seen Judge Rinder running near the front of the pack, we checked the results and sure enough Robert Rinder finished in 10th place in 20:41, annoyingly I reckon I'd have beaten him and got my own top ten at Worthing if not for the pacing today.

I will update the tables a little later today, in the meantime get yourselves prepared for "World Cup of Tubechallengers Parkrun", now that we have 32 runners in the league table, there will be a knock-out based tournament running over the next five weeks. Full rules will be announced in a separate post later. :D
One day I shall return!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Soup Dragon wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 09:17 Wow, what a windy Parkrun, 45mph SW is not what is needed for Worthing Parkrun. I had planned to do Guildford or East Grinstead in an attempt to avoid the wind, but a last minute change of plans as Ping Pon was given Saturday off, so I decided to do Worthing with him instead. I'm pleased to say that we got the pacing dead right for Ping Pon, the pace on the way out was over 6min/km but with the wind behind us Ping Pon sailed home in 28:28.
After the race he mentioned that he had seen Judge Rinder running near the front of the pack, we checked the results and sure enough Robert Rinder finished in 10th place in 20:41, annoyingly I reckon I'd have beaten him and got my own top ten at Worthing if not for the pacing today.

I will update the tables a little later today, in the meantime get yourselves prepared for "World Cup of Tubechallengers Parkrun", now that we have 32 runners in the league table, there will be a knock-out based tournament running over the next five weeks. Full rules will be announced in a separate post later. :D
Sounds very interesting!

I was at Hilly Fields with tractakid, GO, Das and A2. Clue is in the name and sure didn't disappoint with an evil steep grass hill to do 3 times with the last run up it just before the finish. Despite that and the wind, all of us ran times we were very happy with :D
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

xcooler123 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 13:50
I was at Hilly Fields with tractakid, GO, Das and A2. Clue is in the name and sure didn't disappoint with an evil steep grass hill to do 3 times with the last run up it just before the finish. Despite that and the wind, all of us ran times we were very happy with :D
Especially Das with an new PB :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Looking forward to the World Cup - I just hope it's not based on speed or I may as well give up now!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Evening all, a dozen of us braved the windy conditions on Saturday and somehow there were several PB's and SB's.
Almost half the field ran at Hilly Fields with the remainder doing coastal runs.

This Weeks Highlights
Scrxisi finished ahead of everyone, by virtue of running at Pakenham (Australia) finishing in 29:32
Das posted a new PB at Hilly Fields in a time of 34:02
Xcooler123 ran a SB of 25:23, also at Hilly Fields.
The Raven secured a SB at Bournemouth in 29:57
Iain also claimed a SB at Hove Promenade in 32:43
Ping Pon ran his first Parkrun at Worthing finishing in 28:28
Andi is the first to run at Woolacombe Dune in 24:39

The only medals to change were at Hilly Fields. Tractakid now has Silver and Xcooler has Bronze. Geofftech and Iain slip out of medal contention.

Full results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Iain wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 15:20 Looking forward to the World Cup - I just hope it's not based on speed or I may as well give up now!
Sadly the first World Cup will be based on times, but I may well do different formats based on other Criteria in the future!
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

With Scrxisi running Down Under last week, I thought it would be good to list all the International Parkruns that appear in the Tube Challenge league.
I believe that this list covers all of them, let me know if you've done an International run that I've missed!

Albert, Melbourne (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Berwick Springs (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Bois de Boulogne (FRANCE) geofftech & scrxisi
Bowral (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Cairns (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Crissy Field (USA) geofftech
Fælledparken (DENMARK) scrxisi
Father Collins (IRELAND) tractakid
Fontainebleau (FRANCE) andi
Hasenheide (GERMANY) Das
Jamaica Pond (USA) scrxisi
New Farm (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Pakenham (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Poolbeg (IRELAND) scrxisi
Roosevelt Island DC (USA) scrxisi
South Bank (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
St Peters (AUSTRALIA) scrxisi
Szczecin (POLAND) scrxisi
Tampere (FINLAND) andi
Zary (POLAND) andi & geofftech
One day I shall return!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I visited Preston Park today - all tarmac and with a bit of a slope. The first "lap" is an out and back and then two proper laps. I started too far back and I reckon that cost me the fastest time of the year. I seem to be getting better after a year of slowing down.

The downside of the day was a rail replacement bus - very poor signage at Wivelsfield meant I nearly missed the bus on the way down, then a twenty plus minute late train on the way back filled with anti-Brexit marchers led to me sitting in the toilet to get a seat.

A really friendly team, and I'd definitely recommend it
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

In contrast to Iain I wouldn't recommend Barnstaple parkrun team unfriendly or just can't be bothered. Course is narrow at start recommend slower runners at back but no I was well held I was 8 rows back didn't even get really up to speed until at least 4 mins in I reckon that cost me a low 20m time. Course itself is OK just wish they had a wider start which they could do if tweaked it. Its another one off the list 37 in South West now
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun