Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Going Underground »

Freedom run completed man that easterly wind was brutal! 37:35 at Bedfont lakes after about 8 pints and bed at 2 am
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Another tough north easterly wind today and managed to struggle around Bedfont Lakes in 37:21
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Going Underground wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 10:02 Another tough north easterly wind today and managed to struggle around Bedfont Lakes in 37:21
I thought it was a more easterly wind which doesn't help with Bournemouth Parkrun as when u go west its more sheltered from the wind. 23m 48s not my best but I wasn't sure how my youth foot would hold up.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

First finisher in the inaugural Stanford Estate parkrun in Hove, notable for being the first street-based parkrun that I've run! 28:20 finish, didn't push myself that hard, and saw a total of four people on my run.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

A better freedom run today as virtually no wind, 36:18 at Bedfont Lakes
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I was quite worried that I might not finish first in the inaugural Hove Industrial Estates parkrun today, given that I didn't start until half 9, but thankfully I was still first to complete! I also have an issue with the name of the run, given that it crosses the route of the old Devil's Dyke Railway and completes three sides of Brighton's old Goldstone Ground it ought to be renamed the Hove History parkrun, but that's by the by.

An incline after only 200m under the railway bridge thins the herd pretty quickly, and the narrow course up the one way streets of Prinsep and Leighton Roads make it tricky to take the lead if you're not already ahead - luckily I had researched the course before leaving the house and put myself in pole position early on. The wide, flat section through a deserted Homebase car park was a good place to gain speed and put the unsettling sight of a boarded up DIY superstore behind me. A couple of doublebacks around St Joseph's Close brought to mind a small marathon course doing their best to eek out the full distance, but the turn to a narrow alleyway was clearly signposted and the road from the tip back towards the Old Shoreham Road was a great place to pick up speed.

The route took a hard left turn, almost doubling back on itself to wend around the Sussex House estate, and I appreciated the train themed 2km sign on the route of the spur from the West Coastway line towards the Dyke. The fiddly route across the Currys car park, alongside the cemetery and doubling back by the Majestic Wine warehouse refreshment station lead to a worry of bunching of runners but the social distancing guidelines and long climb up Holmes Avenue kept a suitable gap! Shortly after the 3km marker the course took a right turn onto the slight decline of the 1939 metroland style Nevill Avenue, towards the dog track. This can catch the unwary out as the route switched sides of the road because of other pedestrians! The final km took a gentle run through the Goldstone industrial park, site of the old football ground, before the final 500m is all uphill to the finish line partway down Fonthill Road for a finish of 28:11.

I thought that some of the doublebacks could easily be eliminated to extend the finish line further down Fonthill Road, over the crest of the hill and down the other side, leading to a faster and less complicated course. While it wouldn't be as flat as Hove Prom it'll be a good course for a change of scenery.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Another 4 seconds chipped of 36:18 at Bedfont earlier today...
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Just noticed that there wasn't an update posted for the last Parkrun weekend before lockdown (14th March) - I can report that I smashed my previous Parkrun PB, taking just over two minutes off of my time to record 22:47 at Barking. I have no idea what this does to the medals or anything like that as I don't really pay any attention to that!

Keep safe everyone!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Far too wet and puddly to go to Bedfont Lakes this morning so used a 5k circular 1 lap route that had taken me some time to get worked out for the exact distance and today's inaugural was 35:28. The "Ashford" parkrun passes the railway station, two churches and encompasses the length of the High Street. Is all tarmac except a 200 metre stretch along the side of the park where the path is always a bit of a mess so you have to run on the grass. This will be my bad weather/winter parkrun course until normal life returns sometime in 2021
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Continuing with this stupid lockdown no parkrun rules.! i have invented my own parkruns the 2nd one was today next weeks will be a corker as well.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

dstock17 wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 14:56 Continuing with this stupid lockdown no parkrun rules.! i have invented my own parkruns the 2nd one was today next weeks will be a corker as well.
Was a good watch Andi :) Back to Bedfont Lakes for me 37:02
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

I've got also worked out a circular 5k course from my front door! Lol

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Yay I now have 2 x 5k circular routes :P
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

On a side note junior parkrun is expected back early jan
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Golf wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 12:03 On a side note junior parkrun is expected back early jan
You need to read the bulletin again . The words "possibility " and "some" were used