London buses

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Rhys1995
Zone 5

London buses

Post by Rhys1995 »

Has anyone ever thought of trying to ride on all buses (that are TfL based) from terminal to terminal? Just a random question...
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
palkanetoijala31

Re: London buses

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Rhys1995 wrote:Has anyone ever thought of trying to ride on all buses (that are TfL based) from terminal to terminal? Just a random question...
i suspect master tangy has already accomplished this feat but he has still only seen one trident!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

They have a blog at http://londonbusesonebusatatime.blogspot.co.uk/

I wonder how long it would take to travel at least one stop on every bus in London? I reckon you could do it in a week (100 buses per day?)
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

greatkingrat wrote:They have a blog at http://londonbusesonebusatatime.blogspot.co.uk/

I wonder how long it would take to travel at least one stop on every bus in London? I reckon you could do it in a week (100 buses per day?)
That's something I really want to try now! Or going one extra and trying to do all of the routes from terminal to terminal :P
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am currently doing this, riding each London bus route from end to end (first stop to last stop). Though I am doing them slowly, in any order and I like to do each route BOTH ways.

The criteria I use are these:
--The bus has to be on its normal route throughout (no diversions off route).
--Must ride the route end to end on the SAME bus (if the bus turns short or breaks down mid route, need to go back and do it again).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I've been trying to do a condensed version of that - simply set foot on all 545 London Buses (hence the username!). It's a casual thing - well as casual as it gets when you're running through Putney Bridge Bus Station at 8:30am - what I meant was that I'm just doing it when I have the time free. It would be another thing if it was "do it as fast as possible" - I'm not sure it's been done before at all! I'm up to 268/545, and new buses are getting harder and harder to find...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

all545londonbuses wrote:I've been trying to do a condensed version of that - simply set foot on all 545 London Buses (hence the username!).
I don't know where you get this idea that there are only 545 buses in London. Do you think they only run one bus on each route? The total fleet is something like 8000. Goodness knows how long it would take to ride all of them.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

By "buses" I mean every bus route! It would be madness to try and catch every vehicle, especially when you can't track them down (I've always wanted to ride Spirit of London). I did take all 8 New Bus for London prototypes, which took me ages - number LT5 was particularly hard to track down!

I'm only doing the conventional day routes, not the night, mobility or school routes (though I am catching the 607, X26 and X68 limited stops). There are actually 544 of them - but I add on a temporary route, the 573, which I caught into London City Airport when the 473 was cut short. I'm almost 2/3 through and it's getting difficult! Especially reaching the harder reaches like Orpington with accurate timing for once-every-two-hour buses. I've made an active decision to leave the X68 until last and am looking forward to the euphoric feeling of stepping off the final bus in Russell Square...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I can't believe there is any misunderstanding over this.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:I can't believe there is any misunderstanding over this.
There isn't really. I was merely pointing out that riding all routes and riding all buses are two rather different things.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

all545londonbuses wrote:By "buses" I mean every bus route! It would be madness to try and catch every vehicle, especially when you can't track them down (I've always wanted to ride Spirit of London). I did take all 8 New Bus for London prototypes, which took me ages - number LT5 was particularly hard to track down!
Yes, there is a website where you can see which buses are out on any London route on any day. It is at http://www.londonvf.co.uk you can search by route number or actual vehicle fleetnumber. If the bus isn't out that day it will tell you the last time is was out on route.

Edit: At the time of posting Stagecoach London 19000 (Spirit of London) is out on route 55 heading towards Oxford Circus.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Looks like you may need to change your username to all546londonbuses!

http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/588.html
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Mneh, temporary bus! It'll be gone before you know it!

Can't change your username. I wonder whether the admins can. I definitely wasn't thinking straight when I made this account.

And I was at Stratford City! I waited ages for this bus to turn up. Asked people, but nobody knew about it. Then I got bored and went round the Kennington Loop instead. I got lucky with the tube as well - I didn't have to wait for the Central or either Northern train, they were just there. Now if only I could transfer this luck to a FNC (and have a good route!).
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

all545londonbuses wrote:Can't change your username. I wonder whether the admins can. I definitely wasn't thinking straight when I made this account.
I can change usernames.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA