LU150 Art Commission, with a Tube Challenge Connection

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Edgemaster
Zone 5

LU150 Art Commission, with a Tube Challenge Connection

Post by Edgemaster »

This popped up on my newsfeed: http://art.tfl.gov.uk/project/10679/
Labyrinth
A major artwork commission for all 270 stations to mark the 150th anniversary of London Underground

Mark Wallinger, one of the UK’s leading contemporary artists, has created a major new artwork for London Underground to celebrate its 150th anniversary. The result, commissioned by Art on the Underground, is a multi-part work on a huge scale that will be installed in every one of the Tube’s 270 stations. Wallinger sees the commission as a unique opportunity to explore the potential of the Underground as a whole.

Wallinger has created 270 individual artworks, one for each station on the network, each one bearing its own unique circular labyrinth, but with a graphic language common to all. Rendered in bold black, white and red graphics, the artworks are produced in vitreous enamel, a material used for signs throughout London Underground, including the Tube’s roundel logo, whose circular nature the labyrinth design also echoes. Positioned at the entrance of each labyrinth is a red X. This simple mark, drawing on the language of maps, is a cue to enter the pathway. The tactile quality of the artwork’s surface invites the viewer to trace the route with a finger, and to understand the labyrinth as a single meandering path into the centre and back out again – a route reminiscent of the Tube traveller’s journey.

Each of Wallinger’s Labyrinth artworks bears a different number, written in the artist’s hand. For the collector or the train-spotter in us, there’s something appealing in this cryptic element of the work. Although the numbers resonate with the tradition of editioned artworks, such as prints made in series, in fact they relate to the ordering system that allocates each artwork to its particular station. This numbering scheme brings an internal logic to this vast collection of artworks that is directly connected to a real, albeit highly unusual, Tube journey. They refer to the order of stations visited in the Guinness World Record ‘Tube Challenge’ 2009, the record for the fastest time taken to pass through every single station on the London Underground network.

The Guinness World Record Tube Challenge was completed by Andi James, Martin Hazel and Steve Wilson on 14 December 2009 in 16 hours, 44 minutes and 16 seconds. James and Wilson are also the current record holders, completing the challenge in 16 hours, 29 minutes and 13 seconds on 27 May 2011. Participants do not have to travel along all lines to complete the challenge, merely to pass through all the stations on the system. They may connect between stations on foot, or by using other forms of public transport.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: LU150 Art Commission, with a Tube Challenge Connection

Post by greatkingrat »

So if anyone wants to know the route, they just have to visit all the stations and make a note of the number of each one!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yes Peter is correct this is in fact giving away their GWR route :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

From the artworks that have been installed so far, it would appear that the route involves traversing the Bakerloo line southbound fairly early on as Baker Street is 58, Oxford Circus 60 and Embankment 63.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Hmmm I guess that Regents Park is 59, Picc Circus 61 and Charing X 62....

This is really quite shocking I cant for one minute imagine that they consulted the current GWR holders :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Going Underground wrote:
This is really quite shocking I cant for one minute imagine that they consulted the current GWR holders :shock:
So where did he get the information from? The only other possibility is from GWR?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nigel wrote:
Going Underground wrote:
So where did he get the information from? The only other possibility is from GWR?
That was my initial thought....
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

greatkingrat wrote:So if anyone wants to know the route, they just have to visit all the stations and make a note of the number of each one!
Well they would only get the 2009 route, the article seems to imply the route used for the 2011 record run was different.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

joy54 wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:So if anyone wants to know the route, they just have to visit all the stations and make a note of the number of each one!
Well they would only get the 2009 route, the article seems to imply the route used for the 2011 record run was different.
Still might be workable though and of interest to a complete newbie or someone just curious for possible route planning ideas they may not have thought of....
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I hope that the record holders involved all gave permission! A great honour for Steveeeooo, palkanetoijala31 and Tangy though!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Proof that TfL are aware of the challenge. I will look out for them when I'm up in London on Saturday.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Going Underground wrote:Hmmm I guess that Regents Park is 59, Picc Circus 61 and Charing X 62....

From this I calculate this is exactly the same route (or start at least) which I developed to use for me, Andi and scrxisi on the record breaking day back in 2008. As Hakan once managed to correctly deduce this was a loose amalgamation of parts of one of his routes and parts of one of the Brown's routes.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

joy54 wrote:
Going Underground wrote:Hmmm I guess that Regents Park is 59, Picc Circus 61 and Charing X 62....

From this I calculate this is exactly the same route (or start at least) which I developed to use for me, Andi and scrxisi on the record breaking day back in 2008. As Hakan once managed to correctly deduce this was a loose amalgamation of parts of one of his routes and parts of one of the Brown's routes.
Spot on my fine feathered friend, this was very much part of our opening gambit back in the day :P
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Lets just step back think about this.

This silly and pointless hobby that we do, has inspired, in small part, a work of art that's at every tube station.

:shock:
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Pointless?? :shock:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)