Reading Station Re-modelling

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Reading Station Re-modelling

Post by tubeguru »

When I passed out as a train driver five years ago Reading station was a run-down, out-of-date dump. With only four through lines, the backlog was extensive in peak periods. As part of our training we visited the Reading panel signalbox. The signallers were already earmarking the pieces of the panel they were going to be taking home with them when the inevitable closure came.

That closure came on Christmas Eve 2010, with the last train being signalled out before all lines through the station were closed for a couple of days. Control was then transferred to the new Thames Valley Signalling Centre (TVSC) at Didcot. It's the big building you can see on the right of the line as you leave the station travelling west. This signalling centre will one day control the entire Western region from Paddington to Bristol.

With the signalbox closed, the work began to modernise Reading station. The link below will take you to Network Rail's "TV channel", where you can see images and time-lapse photos of the work that's been happening at Reading station since 2011.

You will be asked for a username and password. There are four "channels", and the usernames for these are "nrreading01" to "nrreading04". The password is the same as the username in each case. The link is http://www.lobstervision.tv

Just so you know what you're looking at, here's a brief run down of the images on each channel:

nrreading01

Camera 1 - the five new platforms (11 to 15) are taking shape. P11 is far left, with P15 furthest right. Visible in the background is the new overbridge and northern exit. The current northern exit is via the car park and a pokey staircase. This new one is a bit more spacious ...

Camera 2 - A view of the new platforms from further along the current overbridge, towards the car park. The two new island platforms are clearly visible.

Camera 3 - The view from a camera positioned in the Network Rail compound north of the station, looking southwest. The existing footbridge is out of sight, completely obscured by the new one. The existing platforms are also out of view, behind the new ones.

Camera 4 - Another camera in the compound, but this one is nearer the existing footbridge, clearly visible in the background. The cameras for images 1 and 2 are fixed to the glass panels on the left of the old bridge. The area in the foreground will be the new northern ground-level concourse.

Clicking on the "time-lapse" tab in the top-right will show time-lapses from the above cameras, starting in 2011 when the old station buildings were still in place. Camera 1 shows the old panel signalbox (the building furthest from the camera behind the silver chimney, which suddenly disappears at 39 seconds in).

nrreading02

Camera 1 - The south side of the station looking north, with the Three Guineas pub on the far-right of shot. When I was route-learning back in early 2008 this area was part of the old bus depot, with a tea and pie stand on the left of shot.

Camera 2 - The south side of the station, looking back towards London. The Three Guineas is right behind the red crane. Hopefully, the out-of-date Brunel Arcade in the top-right will be demolished. This is currently the main station entrance. Note the rather more impressive replacement just to its left ...

nrreading03

Only one camera here, on the north side of the line, but west of the station. This one shows the construction of the new Reading Depot, which will replace the ones located inside the triangle on the south side of the line. The old depots have to be demolished because there are going to be new flyovers and flyunders connecting the Berks and Hants line with the station, and they have to go right through where the current depots sit.

nrreading04

Camera 1 - A camera located where the new depot starts, looking in the opposite direction to the one at nrreading03, towards the station. You can see the first of the overhead wire posts going in. The foreground of this shot will eventually be a mass of railway lines.

Camera 2 - A camera located inside one of the new sheds, looking towards Bristol.

Camera 3 - Another camera in the shed, looking towards the station.

Camera 4 - A camera located on what I can only assume is the square building visible from the camera at nrreading03, looking towards Bristol. Out of interest, the field on the right of shot is the the Reading Festival is held every year. Part of this field has been built on as part of the new depot works. The stage is constructed at this end of the field, with the crowd facing towards us.

If you choose the "still image" tab and choose Auto Refresh On, the images will update every 15 minutes. Use the "logout" button to switch between channels.

Have fun now!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Reading Station Re-modelling

Post by tubeguru »

Oh, you can also use the calendar in the top-right to run the images back to any day you like, to see what was going on. Use the arrow bottom-left to go forwards and backwards in time.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Do any of those have platforms 4, 5 and 6 on them? I can't be bothered to go through them all :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No, they didn't put up cameras to show the re-modelling of 4a and 4b into 4, 5 and 6.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Ah boo

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No one cares about those platforms anyway ... :roll:

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I knew Neil was going to say something like that :)
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

It's fine, I don't particularly give a damn about any platforms at Reading other than 4, 5 and 6 so the feeling is mutual ;)

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Honestly, these South West Trains drivers. They come to our station, steal our platform numbers ...

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

First Great Western also use those platforms with their 3 car piece of crap :P