Eurovision Song Contest 2012

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
kateyay
Zone 3

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2012

Post by kateyay »

Enjoying the whole malarkey. Apart from the "Entertainment" in the middle, but it's all quite fun.

Favourites for me are Moldova, France, Malta, Ireland, Russia and Cyprus.

I don't really like the Swedish entry but it's currently winning in the virtual EuroVote thing I am playing on! ( http://www.bluemeat.com/e if you would like to play too!)

Looking forward to the block voting later....
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have made a note of who gave whom 12 points. I shall reveal the block/political voting trends tomorrow.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Now I remember why I havent bothered in previous years. Sweden win with perhaps the most boring dance-pop tune going.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Sweden took one record away from Alexander Rybak - most "douze points" goes from 16 to 18.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, so last night, as the results of Eurovision were being announced, I entered into a spreadsheet the top three points (8, 10 and 12) that each voting country gave.

As is well known, Europe has been divided on political and ethnic lines for centuries, and these divisions make themselves felt in all aspects of life. That includes how people in one country will vote for a song performed by another. Eurovision has well-defined "blocks" of countries who usually vote for each other, and these groups are defined below. There are a few grey areas when it comes to voting, but the battle lines are clearly drawn, especially in regions where countries have been split up and freed from the tyranny of Communism. And so to the blocks and their top three scores:

CYPRUS AND GREECE

An obvious alliance - I can't remember the last time they didn't give each other twelve points.

Cyprus - Azerbaijan (8) Sweden (10) Greece (12)
Greece - Serbia (8) Albania (10) Cyprus (12)

AZERBAIJAN AND TURKEY

Azerbaijan and Turkey are another pair of countries who have a very good relationship and see themselves almost as "one state". Turkey was a strong supporter of Azerbaijan independence from The Soviet Union (which is why Turkey probably never gets 12 points from Russia), and the foreign policy of both countries makes mention of the other with regard to defence and military deployment. You may as well regard them as one country in Eurovision.

Azerbaijan - Malta (8) Russia (10) Turkey (12)
Turkey - FYR Mac (8) Bosnia & Herz (10) Azerbaijan (12)

IBERIA

This one is obvious, but Spain couldn't vote for Portugal this year as they weren't in the final.

Portugal - Russia (8) Germany (10) Spain (12)
Spain - Russia (8) Romania (10) Sweden (12)

THE UK AND IRELAND

Another obvious alliance, but maybe not. Twelve points between these two is not a slam-dunk as can be seen this year. We gave them eight points, but they didn't feel as generous. Ten points to Germany?! Where did that come from?

UK - Spain (8) Ireland (10) Sweden (12)
Ireland - Estonia(8) Germany (10) Sweden (12)

THE NORDIC BLOCK

As sure as night follows day, this lot will give each other the big points. And they all did. All that is except Sweden who, perhaps sensing victory (don't forget, the Swedish song had already been number one in many European countries before last night), gave the top points to those countries which didn't stand a chance. The others gave Sweden the lot.

Denmark - Russia (8) Germany (10) Sweden (12)
Finland - Russia (8) Estonia (10) Sweden (12)
Iceland - Cyprus (8) Estonia (10) Sweden (12)
Norway - Russia (8) Serbia (10) Sweden (12)
Sweden - Estonia (8) Serbia (10) Cyprus (12)

THE BALTIC STATES

The Baltic states fought hard for their independence from The Soviet Union and, having gained it, proceeded to shove two fingers up to Russia by not voting for them. Estonia gave them eight points, so could political relations be softening in the Baltic?

Latvia - Estonia (8) Russia (10) Sweden (12)
Lithuania - Estonia (8) Sweden (10) Azerbaijan (12)
Estonia - Russia (8) Germany (10) Sweden (12)

THE "WARSAW PACT" COUNTRIES

The Warsaw Pact was a "mutual defence" treaty signed between eight Communist countries during the Cold War, signed in Warsaw in 1955. The eight states signing the treaty were Albania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia as it was then, East Germany, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and The Soviet Union. As you can see, most of these countries have shifted their Eurovision loyalties elsewhere, probably due to ethnic considerations. Also, the break-up of the Soviet Union into many smaller states unleashed a wave of resentment towards Russia (see the Baltic block), hence why none of these countries vote for them. However, three countries which formed part of The Soviet Union remain with Russia in this block.

Belarus - Lithuania (8) Ukraine (10) Russia (12)
Georgia - Sweden (8)Azerbaijan (10) Lithuania (12)
Russia - Ukraine (8) Azerbaijan (10) Sweden (12)
Ukraine - Moldova (8) Russia (10) Azerbaijan (12)

THE BALKANS

This is the most complex block. The majority of these countries once formed the old Yugosavia, as well as the former Czechoslovakia. Shortly after the Second World War Yugosavia comprised the following states: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia (including Kosovo), and Slovenia. All are now recognised as separate countries in their own right (except Kosovo), and as such have a close affinity ethnically and politically. This is why, despite Serbia's song being a crock of shit this year, they received a large helping of points from other countries in this block.

Albania - FYR Mac (8) Turkey (10) Greece (12)
Bosnia & Herz - Sweden (8) Serbia (10) FYR Mac (12)
Bulgaria - Sweden (8) Azerbaijan (10) Serbia (12)
Croatia - FYR Mac (8)Bosnia & Herz (10) Serbia (12)
FYR Mac - Turkey (8) Serbia (10) Albania (12)
Hungary - Albania (8)Germany (10) Sweden (12)
Montenegro - FYR Mac (8) Albania (10) Serbia (12)
Serbia - Cyprus (8) Sweden (10) FYR Mac (12)
Slovenia - Russia (8) Sweden (10) Serbia (12)

ROMANIA AND MOLDOVA

These two countries have had something of a strange relationship since Moldova's independence from The Soviet Union in 1991. There is currently a movement to merge the two countries. Maybe this year's Eurovision voting reflects the public's thoughts on this issue.

Romania - Greece (8) Sweden (10) Moldova (12)
Moldova - Ukraine [8) Azerbaijan (10) Romania (12)

THE LEFTOVERS

These are the countries who do not usually form blocks of voting, their votes chopping and changing from year to year. Having said that, had the Netherlands qualified from their semi-final then they would no doubt have swapped votes with Belgium. Note that the Dutch did not give Belgium big points this year, probably because they were pissed off they didn't get through to the final. Malta are usually good for 12 points for the UK, but not this time round ...

Austria - Albania (8) Serbia (10) Sweden (12)
Belgium - Russia (8) Albania (10) Sweden (12)
France - Serbia (8) Estonia (10) Sweden (12)
Germany -Turkey (8)Serbia (10) Sweden (12)
Israel - Azerbaijan (8) Spain (10) Sweden (12)
Italy - Germany (8) Russia (10) Albania (12)
Malta - Turkey (8) Italy (10) Azerbaijan (12)
Netherlands - Turkey (8) Serbia (10) Sweden (12)
San Marino - Moldova (8) Russia (10) Albania (12)
Slovakia - Hungary (8) Estonia (10) Sweden (12)
Switzerland - Spain (8) Serbia (10) Albania (12)

So as you can see, it's all very well saying, "The Hump had by far the best song", but that counts for sweet FA when it comes to Europe and its people. They remember past grievances, and use every opportunity to inflict humiliation on their enemies when they can. A Europe-wide singing contest provides such an opportunity for revenge.

People don't forget ...

Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Very well done tubeguru, nice analysis!

I did like the fact that many of the announcers from the receptive counties said:

"... and are twelve points go our neighbours"

They don't even hide the fact they're block voting! :lol:

Mind you thinking about it, Norway has more "allies" than the UK and they end up with less points than us!
Last edited by The Raven on 27 May 2012, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Raven wrote:"... and are twelve points go are neighbours" !
OUR!

Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

Within the ex-yu group Serbia, Macedonia and Bosnia all sang in their native languages. This will have helped them get points because all these languages are basically mutually intelligible and the people could actually understand the song, contrary to say Hungary's entry, which was apparently supposed to be in English but none of us could understand a word. I have to give the Russian ladies props for doing their song in Udmurt though. I think they were robbed.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Ah yes, the other thing I forgot to mention - language. The Balkan countries will regularly sing in the regional languages so to get more points.

I have another voting theory regarding the UK which I will now go away and investigate, before returning with my conclusion ...

Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

Root wrote:Slovakia were the only country I liked in the whole night, and they didn't get through. Boo.
I guess they would have done with some added corpse paint and plate armour. Next year that band should do a collab with Kristína Peláková and they're in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kghCqyMLPFA
(I'm not gonna lie, I actually love this song)
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tubeguru wrote:THE NORDIC BLOCK

As sure as night follows day, this lot will give each other the big points. And they all did. All that is except Sweden who, perhaps sensing victory (don't forget, the Swedish song had already been number one in many European countries before last night), gave the top points to those countries which didn't stand a chance. The others gave Sweden the lot.

I'm not denying that the Nordic countries vote for each other, but I don't think there was much conclusive evidence of that this year. Sure, the four non-Swedish countries all gave their 12 points to Sweden, but so did lots of other countries, and not one of them gave 10 or 8 points to another Nordic country. The Nordic alliance can't be that strong, otherwise Norway would not have come last this year.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:
tubeguru wrote:THE NORDIC BLOCK

I'm not denying that the Nordic countries vote for each other, but I don't think there was much conclusive evidence of that this year. Sure, the four non-Swedish countries all gave their 12 points to Sweden, but so did lots of other countries, and not one of them gave 10 or 8 points to another Nordic country. The Nordic alliance can't be that strong, otherwise Norway would not have come last this year.
Well, to be fair I only showed this year's results. What we need to do is go through each block and see how many points they've given each other over the years. Off you go.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tubeguru wrote:Well, to be fair I only showed this year's results. What we need to do is go through each block and see how many points they've given each other over the years. Off you go.
Done.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Ta.

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Oh my.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision ... _results_3

If it wasn't for the jury, France would have obtained nul points!

Most predicted the juries to boost the UK. It didn't; the juries rated us last.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition