The Tube, Episode 4.

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Iain
All Zones

Re: The Tube, Episode 4.

Post by Iain »

I spotted Tangy several times, think I saw Geoff in the background (leaning against the door?) but didn't spot Steve

I couldn't work out how the group of 16ish year olds got the pic of the train with the commemorative board on the front of it on their posters, unless they took the pic early on, nipped out to a shop/home and did a print out
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

They might be kids of someone who works on the tube, and has access to the artwork and the facility to print it out.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Yep, could be TG

Just watched that segment again on iPlayer and spotted Stevo
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Sensitive Edge....what a load a bollocks!

Anyway was a good episode. I reconised the 'blonde babe' working at Victoria...hubba hubba, 'new' Woodford Coffee lady has got some competition!
The King is back! Long live The King!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

The Victoria woman won't provide you with food though Myles :wink:
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

tubeguru wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:That persistent signal failure.... I wouldn't want to be a guy from Tube Lines in that meeting. It's their fault and nothing to do with TfL who get all the blame in my view even though they physically did nothing and just tried to keep things going!
I thought Boris was fixing the tube as we speak.
I get the impression that everyone on the forum seems to change their minds more times than Ed Miliband...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Iain wrote:The Victoria woman won't provide you with food though Myles :wink:
Depends she might be that way enclined and let him eat off her body!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Iain wrote:I spotted Tangy several times, think I saw Geoff in the background (leaning against the door?) but didn't spot Steve

I couldn't work out how the group of 16ish year olds got the pic of the train with the commemorative board on the front of it on their posters, unless they took the pic early on, nipped out to a shop/home and did a print out
The same headboard was used on the special 67 stock "First & Last" railtour which went to Northumberland Park depot, Ealing Broadway and UXB using the rare Vic- Picc crossovers at Finsbury Park. These crossovers may never be used again by a passenger train...

Therefore it was possible to get a photo of the headboard at Ealing or UXB, which is how this appeared on the poster. I personally know some of the people who were sat round the poster via my Bus Forum.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

hopeful traveller wrote:Quite good apart from that ticket seller who's more gay than Justin Bieber (and I'd never thought I'd say that)!

That last '67 stock, whilst I am keen with the '09 stock, should have been given more airtime than 4-ish minutes.

That persistent signal failure.... I wouldn't want to be a guy from Tube Lines in that meeting. It's their fault and nothing to do with TfL who get all the blame in my view even though they physically did nothing and just tried to keep things going!

The Victoria line has had more signal failures since the 09 stocks and new signals. :'(
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Thanks Tangy, interesting stuff
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

tangy wrote:
Iain wrote:...using the rare Vic- Picc crossovers at Finsbury Park. These crossovers may never be used again by a passenger train...
...until the next railtour?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Root wrote:I don't think Justin Bieber is a gay icon. Sorry to derail the thread, I'll stop now.
I don't like that link. It seems to suggest that, even in this climate of There's No Such Thing As Absolute Truth*, there is only one correct and moral view on abortion, homosexuality, Justin Bieber, death, etc. Moreover, anyone not having that viewpoint is not seen as "having a different perspective on things", but rather as intolerant and bigoted. Well, I would suggest that that very stance is also intolerant and bigoted. I suppose that this is just like in Victorian times, except that was when people were lambasted for having the opposite views.

I suppose it takes the wind out of people's sails when, if the statement There's No Such Thing As Absolute Truth is to be taken literally, they are told that such things as rape and murder aren't always wrong, but are simply deeds that are currently not accepted by the majority of society.

*except that statement itself, of course
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Starkey7 wrote:
tangy wrote:
Iain wrote:...using the rare Vic- Picc crossovers at Finsbury Park. These crossovers may never be used again by a passenger train...
...until the next railtour?
What isn't well known is that the Victoria line tube tunnels were constructed slightly wider than the tube tunnels on other lines, like the Piccadilly. Whilst the 67 stock was built to the usual standard width, the 09 stock was built with this extra width of the tunnels in mind to create extra room internally within the train.

What this means is that the 09 stock is now "out of gauge" for the normal width tube tunnels of the Piccadilly, the crossovers at Finsbury Park are the ONLY physical connection on/off the Victoria line.

Hence the 09 stock is "locked in" on thier own line and cannot venture off it. The extra width also meant that when the new trains were being delivered they had to come one coach at a time to Northumberland Park on the back of a lorry as they couldn't (unlike previous new stock) be delivered one whole train at a time via Ruislip depot.

The ATO signalling on the Victoria line prevents any non ATO train from venturing onto the Victoria line during traffic hours. Non ATO equipped trains may only venture onto the Victoria line when no 09 stock is running i.e overnight or during an engineering possesion.

So the chances of a passenger train traversing the Finsbury Park crossovers again is very slim!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

But in theory a Pic train 'could' crossover at some point?

Interesting stuff Tangy.
The King is back! Long live The King!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Just watched saw tangy and steveo no geoff i defo be looking out for that victoria girl with the blonde hair i like to ride her anyday!