The Tube - episode 3

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: The Tube - episode 3

Post by Steeevooo »

geofftech wrote:yes, but don't worry. there'll be another Episode along in minute ...
Do you mean a Tory London Underground minute, or a real minute? ;)
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

geofftech wrote:yes, but don't worry. there'll be another Episode along in minute ...
What do you mean in minute? The next episode is Monday.
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

tubeguru wrote:I assume that all chat relating to episode three of The Tube is exhausted?
You can say that. Who's going to bring up the chat for episode 4?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I don't know. I can't see into the future.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

i'll start a thread for Episode 4, for sure. although having said that i'll be out on Monday evening so will have to watch it iPlayer-styli when i return home...

interesting that you mention the 1-minutes though. i've got quite a few timings in my app now for when the board says "1 minute", how long the trains actually takes to arrive and come to a stand still. the average is 1 minute, 27 seconds - with Central line trains being the worst, where a 1 minute usually means between 1m40s and 1m50s ...
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

geofftech wrote:i'll start a thread for Episode 4, for sure. although having said that i'll be out on Monday evening so will have to watch it iPlayer-styli when i return home...

interesting that you mention the 1-minutes though. i've got quite a few timings in my app now for when the board says "1 minute", how long the trains actually takes to arrive and come to a stand still. the average is 1 minute, 27 seconds - with Central line trains being the worst, where a 1 minute usually means between 1m40s and 1m50s ...

I thought Piccadilly Line trains were the worst in minutes, you said so in your report of your 17th time doing the challenge.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

"1 minute" could mean anywhere between 1:00 and 1:59 until the train arrives
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hakc97 wrote:
geofftech wrote:i'll start a thread for Episode 4, for sure. although having said that i'll be out on Monday evening so will have to watch it iPlayer-styli when i return home...

I thought Piccadilly Line trains were the worst in minutes, you said so in your report of your 17th time doing the challenge.
Do you take everything everyone says at face value, and to be the absolute truth?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

greatkingrat wrote:"1 minute" could mean anywhere between 1:00 and 1:59 until the train arrives
why? to me 1 minute should mean "No more than 1 minute", "1 minute or less".
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

tubeguru wrote: Do you take everything everyone says at face value, and to be the absolute truth?
Not always
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

geofftech wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:"1 minute" could mean anywhere between 1:00 and 1:59 until the train arrives
why? to me 1 minute should mean "No more than 1 minute", "1 minute or less".
So what do you describe 1:30 as? It's clearly not 2 minutes.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I guess this just shows how widely opinions can differ on this subject. If I was forced to pin down my answer I'd say something along the lines of 1 minute is somewhere between 30 seconds and 1 minute 29 seconds. So while HT sees 1:30 as "clearly not two minutes", to me it's an entirely reasonable answer.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

To me, the time shown on the board should mean to within the time shown, i.e. if it shows 2 minutes, then it should arrive within two minutes.
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

The problem with displaying a maximum waiting time is that the boards woud still be showing 1 min as the train pulled into the station, which could be annoying for someone standing at the bottom of the stairs at Campden deciding which train to go for (or a Tube Challenger having a quick toilet stop!)

Iain's suggestion of using 1 minute to signifiy 00:31 to 01:30 seems the most logical, because in theory it is a maximum of 30 seconds out, whereas with either of the other two conventions there is a possibility of a 59 second discrepancy.

What drives the system? I've always assumed its the track circuits, in which case the times must be very approximate. Perhaps they shold display next trains in terms of distance rather than time (although that wouldn't work for terminal stations!)
Metrolink 91 stations 6:27:01
FNC: 18:48:00
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Steeevooo wrote:To me, the time shown on the board should mean to within the time shown, i.e. if it shows 2 minutes, then it should arrive within two minutes.
So, what about when it shows 0 minutes?

I agree with Iain and Cheshire Cat.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings