Last of the Bendy Buses...

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
geofftech
All Zones

Last of the Bendy Buses...

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: Last of the Bendy Buses...

Post by Steeevooo »

Are the bendy's not being sold elsewhere around the country, and I believe, also to Malta?
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

I was in Bath on Friday, and they have Bendy Buses there. Not sure if they are the same make though.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

GET IN!

They're going to Leicester and Malta.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

And to Norwich.

There have been at least two arrive up here in recent weeks. One has been repainted into a local livery, but the other(s) still have/has the red TfL livery with Go-Ahead decals.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

So the era of the bendy bus comes to a premature end in London, and I was on the very last one, arriving at Hayes By-Pass at 0107 Saturday morning (that was after the office party)!

The fate of the withdrawn bendy buses hasn't been very eventful with many simply parked up in a storage yard as they are proving difficult to sell on.

Arriva have recently exported 50 of thier ex London bendies to Malta to furnish the new Malta Bus franchise which Arriva gained the operating rights to.

Some UK compnaies have been buying a few of them mainly for routes that serve universities such as Brighton & Hove route 25, Arriva Leicester route 80 and a sole example with W&D down in Bournemouth. Some of these examples have been modified with removal of the centre set of doors.

As mentioned by "uefacup" KonectBus of Norfolk have taken penny numbers and there has been a trial of a London bendy bus in both Plymouth and on the Isle of Wight!

Wessex Connect has recently retained the Bristol Park & Ride routes on tender and there is a strong possibility of ex London bendy buses being used on at least one of the three routes here. Also Go-Ahead are planning to send some of thier recently withdrawn examples to the Newcastle area.
Last edited by tangy on 18 Dec 2011, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Route 7 buses in Brighton don't go past the Universities. So far as I can remember! :D
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Tangy apparently i can catch you out on your knowledge of buses apparently there are 2 in bournemouth wow time to swot up more me thinks.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The Raven wrote:Route 7 buses in Brighton don't go past the Universities. So far as I can remember! :D
Oops, silly me, wrong route! It is route 25 that is bendy bus operated down in Brighton. Route 7 is still double deckers.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tangy wrote:The fate of the withdrawn bendy buses hasn't been very eventful with many simply parked up in a storage yard as they are proving difficult to sell on.
The new Routemasters are already very expensive, but does their reported cost does not include the cost of storing the old Bendy Buses, and then disposing/recycling them at the end of their lives, if they still haven't been sold?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

TfL don't own the bendy buses so it is not their problem. It is up to First/Arriva/whoever what they do with them.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Tangy apparently i can catch you out on your knowledge of buses apparently there are 2 in bournemouth wow time to swot up more me thinks.
Yes, as I said yesterday, I'm over 90% certain (though, admittedly not 100% certain) that Wilts & Dorset have 2 bendies for the U1 bus route - my halls are right next to where the W&D buses go overnight, and I'm sure I've seen two bendies parked up next to each other in there. Unfortunately, the U buses aren't running until January now (except maybe the U1 as double-deckers) so can't check until then...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.