Threads

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Threads

Post by Steeevooo »

Is it possible to have a thread on here that doesn't degenerate into a slanging stage/people winding other people up/people bickering? This used to be a nice friendly place where people with different opinions could quite sensibly debate and put forward their views without resorting to such degeneration - it's little wonder that I find myself coming on here less and less...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Threads

Post by tubeguru »

Steeevooo wrote:Is it possible to have a thread on here that doesn't degenerate into a slanging stage/people winding other people up/people bickering
No, and it's making me tear what little is left of my hair out trying to keep it on an even keel. I think I have identified the root cause of the recent unrest, though.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

Thought I'd add my thoughts as a newbie to the site, if that's OK.

For a start I'm not sure this is worse than any other forum, though there does seem to be a tendancy to start bickering over the silliest of subjects (Trafalgar Square being a pertinant example). However, I agree that as a lot of people know each other off-line there can be a bit of over-familiarity in certain posts which could be construed badly by neutral onlookers.

Everyone who has replied to my posts has been more than polite so far. However, due to the above, I'm already finding myself being very careful to explain any comments that I make lest they be mis-construed.

On the positive side, the information that is available on here is invaluable for someone like me. I am currently co-ordinating a Full Network attempt for some colleagues at work next spring. We are hoping to get a few teams together for a race, purely to raise money for our work charity. There will certainly not be any record breaking going on from any of us! If we get anywhere near 270 we will be more than happy.

Also loving the games and quizzes, which are a nice touch that add to the community feel that is on here.

In summary, don't worry, this is still an enjoyable place to while away the hours. People should just chill out a bit.

Hope that helps.

Jason
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Urzzz1871 wrote:... there does seem to be a tendancy to start bickering over the silliest of subjects (Trafalgar Square being a pertinant example).
I would class that particular example as good-humoured joshing. That's how I like to see "arguments" conducted on here!
Urzzz1871 wrote:Everyone who has replied to my posts has been more than polite so far. However, due to the above, I'm already finding myself being very careful to explain any comments that I make lest they be mis-construed.
Unfortunately, the whole of the internet is like that now - everyone immediately picks out something that offends them and points it out.

Thanks for your comments. I often wonder what new people make of all the arguing that they find themselves posting into the middle of.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I fully agree with Steeevooo's post. The arguing isn't yet bad enough to stop me from coming here, but it has got to the point of being really frustrating. For example, I felt like I had a good idea in the "A Non Run Route" thread, but it got completely lost amongst the bickering, and subsequently I have no desire to go back to it.

I have been on forums where the administrators and moderators have policed with a heavy hand, often deleting entire threads with no explanation, and then deleting any further posts asking why the original ones were deleted. That's plain old censorship, if you ask me, and not the right way to go about running a forum at all. Things are much better here, and that's mainly thanks to the hands-off approach taken by Neil and Chris. We should do more to uphold our end of the bargain by playing nicely and not giving them any reason to intervene. It's shouldn't be difficult. On a personal level, I don't think I've ever been involved in an argument on this forum in the five and a half years I've been a member, even though there have been times when I have felt like someone didn't like me, or when I didn't particularly like them. I don't like making any unnecessary work for the staff (though a joke I made did lead to a thread being locked today - sorry!), who I think do a great job and deserve at least double what we're paying them currently 8)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

You're paying us?

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Well I will happily buy both you and Chris a beer if you ever turn up to an event again :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tubeguru wrote:You're paying us?
I said we should double whatever "we're paying [you] currently". Do I really need to explain it? :roll:
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I think that he got it. ;)