TransPennine Pub Crawl II (2nd Sept 2011)

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

TransPennine Pub Crawl II (2nd Sept 2011)

Post by Soup Dragon »

A date to pencil in your diaries, 2nd Spetember 2011 will be the TransPennine Pub Crawl II.
Following in the footsteps of Oz Clarke & James May, we will again be visiting pubs in Stalybridge, Huddersfield & Dewsbury to sample some fine real ales, and possibly some eggy cider???
So far Kevin, Matthew, Samantha & Soupy are all attending.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: TransPennine Pub Crawl II (2nd Sept 2011)

Post by Soup Dragon »

Indeed Matthew, we will probably aim to get to Dewsbury first and then head back into Manchester as the evening progresses. Possibly some other stations can be added which have pubs within spitting distance but we can decide on this nearer the time. The seedy clubs in Manchester are optional and may only appeal to older members of this forum :wink:
One day I shall return!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Anyone else up for joining us? James mentioned on Saturday he could be interested :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

You really should make a (relatively minor) diversion to the fantastic Sheffield Tap, located on Platform 1 of Sheffield Station. Since opening 12 months ago the Tap has won many awards, locally, regionally and nationally, not only the incredible restoration of the former waiting room but also the phenomenal variety of real ales and drinks available - I've taken many people there and no one has disliked it and I can't recommend this place enough! Despite being relatively unknown on the wider scale, it's gradually attracting quite a steady crowd of followers from all over the country - one guy I met there considers it his local despite coming from Nottingham each Friday evening!

By the time you visit the planned sister pub at York station (appropriately called the York Tap) may also be open - but in the mean time be sure to visit the website at www.sheffieldtap.com or even pay a visit to the newly opened Euston Tap - it's a bit easier for you guys to visit Euston than it is for me!

~~~~~

I don't yet know if I can make this date as I may be in Lithuania! If I'm not, I'm certainly coming on this little trip as I couldn't make it last year!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I hope that you can make it Phil, the more the merrier :D
Shame that we don't have longer as the Sheffield pub looks excellent. They have Ashford on tap!!! Kevin would have to go for a pint of that. :wink:
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soup Dragon wrote:I hope that you can make it Phil, the more the merrier :D
Shame that we don't have longer as the Sheffield pub looks excellent. They have Ashford on tap!!! Kevin would have to go for a pint of that. :wink:
Awesome :D Is it much further to get to on the train then?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Going Underground wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:I hope that you can make it Phil, the more the merrier :D
Awesome :D Is it much further to get to on the train then?
It's 48 minutes at best from Manchester and a whopping 1 hour 17 mins from
Huddersfield so not sure it's the easiest place to get to...

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Since the Woodhead route was closed in 1981, the Edale route is now the preferred route across the Pennines. That's why it takes bloody ages to get between Manchester and Sheffield these days.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

I don't know what time people were planning to arrive in Manchester having come from the South, but it may be simplest to meet at Stockport station and then nip over the Pennines to Sheffield as pre-curser to the main event starting in Huddersfield. You can then catch a Pacer (you may need a drink to appreciate those trains) along the stunning Penistone Line to drop down into Huddersfield - which stops right outside the Head of Steam!

The other far simpler alternative is of course to come to Sheffield direct – I’m assuming no one’s got their ticket yet and even if you are unlucky and aren't quick enough to catch a cheap fare from East Midlands Trains when they put them on sale, another cheap (but slower) option is to purchase a London to Retford advance with either East Coast or Hull Trains and then buy a single from Retford to Sheffield. The allocations for London to Retford are barely ever sold out as demand is so low and also because two operators provide the service and thus are in competition with each other, which in turn makes the fare cheaper too - I once got home from London for just £7.50 by doing that!

Anyhow, all this is just a thought!

Either way, as soon as I know whether or not I'll be travelling with the British Basketball team to the European Championships in Lithuania, I'll let you know.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I can't imagine people will be getting there that early, certainly didn't last time we did it.

Going to Sheffield just makes it seem like we'd spend more time on trains than on important stuff like drinking!

snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

What's the plan on this one? I'm interested in coming along but it would all boil down to fares!
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Again, be interested to know a bit more details about this one (meetup place/time etc) - it falls between the odd period I find myself in between finishing employment and starting university, so funds may be a little low for me... would need to sort out tickets and possibly accommodation...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Travelodge still have rooms available for £25.50!!

snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Sam wrote:I can't imagine people will be getting there that early, certainly didn't last time we did it.

Going to Sheffield just makes it seem like we'd spend more time on trains than on important stuff like drinking!
Have you ever heard of cans and bottles? They're a wonderful invention that make alcohol portable. Which also means we could combine alcohol with trains, a wonderful idea no?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soupie is currently working out a "schedule" and will list exactly where we will be and at what time..
This will enable anyone to find us at anytime :P
I also had an idea that we should take a along a few games, crib, dominoes and the like :D I seem to recall one of the pubs may have even had some games in it....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold