National Rail Stations (all of them)

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: National Rail Stations (all of them)

Post by tubeguru »

Ah ha! I have finally sorted the paging issue out. Well, there it is - the map of all 715 stations "visited" so far. That huge gap in the east needs to be addressed ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

tangy wrote:I have my own version of this, been doing it for a few years now, the aim to visit every rail station (Tube, NR, Metro etc.) in the UK. However to me a "visit" is to physically get on or off the train at that station rather than just stop there. No matter if a frequently served station or not, the same criteria apply.

My current total is around 1,200 (not updated my records recently to reflect new ones visited) this includes every SWT served station and all bar a few FGW ones.
How have you / how will you manage stations like (I think there's more than this one around) Lympstone Commando, where only certain people are allowed to get off at the station (in the case of Lympstone, only MoD staff with business at the station are allowed; I think there are other 'private' stations (like IBM) where only staff at the site are allowed)?
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

I assume he'll do it like I (unintentionally) did Sellafield - get on at an earlier station and get off at a later one. On that occasion I caught a clapped out Pacer all the way from Workington to Preston, a journey that involved 2 driver changes and the amusing sight of cars on the parallel M6 going faster than us despite us being on the WCML! The train itself had earlier starred in Carlisle before I boarded in Workington, and although it would have been mildly amusing to have caught this train the entire way, I'd purposefully got to Maryport earlier so that I could visit Workington North on the temporary stock that was put in place. Lesson learnt: don't spend any time in Maryport - there's not much to do there!

Neil, I assume that to have deemed to have "passed through" a station the train must have travelled on a line which is adjacent to a platform at said station, meaning that the train could have stopped even if it wasn't scheduled too. So for example, a train on the WCML wouldn't count as having "passed through" any of the Watford DC stations as they are on adjacent line and nor could a train which goes through a station on a fast line without a platform.

With this in mind I might have a go at totaling up how many I've done, simply as I've no idea what it would be! It will take me a while but I'll happily give it a go and get back to you!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Neil, I assume that to have deemed to have "passed through" a station the train must have travelled on a line which is adjacent to a platform at said station, meaning that the train could have stopped even if it wasn't scheduled too. So for example, a train on the WCML wouldn't count as having "passed through" any of the Watford DC stations as they are on adjacent line and nor could a train which goes through a station on a fast line without a platform.

With this in mind I might have a go at totaling up how many I've done, simply as I've no idea what it would be! It will take me a while but I'll happily give it a go and get back to you!
This is where we reach a grey area. I was talking to someone about this last night as it happens. For example, Stonebridge Park. If I go from Euston to Liverpool on a Pendolino, I don't pass through the station, but I do pass it on the "line" (WCML) that runs "through" it. Or do I? I'm not sure how to define it yet. At the moment I have included Stonebridge Park, despite never having passed through it on the Wembley Suburban line.

If I feel I've cheated myself by counting the DC stations then I will take a train from Euston to Harrow & Wealdstone to solve it. If not, I won't!

Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:I assume he'll do it like I (unintentionally) did Sellafield - get on at an earlier station and get off at a later one.
The problem there with Lympstone Commando is that it is a request stop...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

You're still passing through it, so it doesn't matter if someone requests it or not.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

RichieG wrote:
tangy wrote:I have my own version of this, been doing it for a few years now, the aim to visit every rail station (Tube, NR, Metro etc.) in the UK. However to me a "visit" is to physically get on or off the train at that station rather than just stop there. No matter if a frequently served station or not, the same criteria apply.

My current total is around 1,200 (not updated my records recently to reflect new ones visited) this includes every SWT served station and all bar a few FGW ones.
How have you / how will you manage stations like (I think there's more than this one around) Lympstone Commando, where only certain people are allowed to get off at the station (in the case of Lympstone, only MoD staff with business at the station are allowed; I think there are other 'private' stations (like IBM) where only staff at the site are allowed)?
It's easy really - Tangy is going to train to become a Marine ;)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

In the the way that I count visiting stations (where I physically get on or off the train and wait for the next one or arrive/depart the station by other means), the station of Lympstone Commando does present a bit of a problem. There is a new footpath running right alongside the platform at Lympstone Commando, but the access to the platform is still closely guarded!

IBM Halt, although primarily built for the IBM computer works, these have since been scaled back/parts of it closed and other companies have moved in to create a more modern day business park. Therefore public access to the station is possible and allowed, although I have yet to bash the line, yet alone the station! The similar station at British Steel Redcar is still a "private" station, being on the steelworks property with no public right of way.

Workington North- Thankfully visited this one before it disapeared (was very difficult to try and kill 45 minutes!)
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Good luck trying to do the Heart of Wales line under those rules. If you can't get back on the same train it would take you a week just to do one line!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

This is why, at the age of 37, I have realised that my life is not long enough to do them all that way!

Member of sweet FA
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

tubeguru wrote:
Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Neil, I assume that to have deemed to have "passed through" a station the train must have travelled on a line which is adjacent to a platform at said station, meaning that the train could have stopped even if it wasn't scheduled too. So for example, a train on the WCML wouldn't count as having "passed through" any of the Watford DC stations as they are on adjacent line and nor could a train which goes through a station on a fast line without a platform.

This is where we reach a grey area. I was talking to someone about this last night as it happens. For example, Stonebridge Park. If I go from Euston to Liverpool on a Pendolino, I don't pass through the station, but I do pass it on the "line" (WCML) that runs "through" it. Or do I? I'm not sure how to define it yet. At the moment I have included Stonebridge Park, despite never having passed through it on the Wembley Suburban line.

If I feel I've cheated myself by counting the DC stations then I will take a train from Euston to Harrow & Wealdstone to solve it. If not, I won't!
I think my definition would be to see which line or lines the station is a part of. For example Dore & Totley station (which is the first station south of Sheffield station) sits on both the Hope Valley Line and the Midland Main Line. When travelling south from Sheffield station, trains which are using the Midland Main Line take the left (eastern) tracks while trains taking the Hope Valley Line take the right (western) tracks with the junction being only just before (North of) Dore & Totley station. At its' peak the station had four platforms, which from east to west (or left to right when travelling South from Sheffield station) were as follows: southbound Midland Main Line services; northbound Midland Main Line services; westbound Hope Valley Line services and finally eastbound Hope Valley Line services. (The middle pair was the two sides of an island platform between the Midland Main Line and the Hope Valley Line).

However by the 1980's all but the most westerly platform had been demolished, meaning that services using the Midland Main Line can no longer stop at Dore & Totley station, and that today both eastbound and westbound Hope Valley Line services use the one remaining platform. Now using your definition of a "visit" as either arriving at, departing from, or simply passing through a station, I would say that any train passing through the station on either of the two lines would be suitable for your definition, despite their being no platform where the Midland Main Line services could stop at if they wished to do so.

Extending this logic I would say that any train passing through Carnforth station on either the Furness line, Leeds to Morecambe Line or even the West Coast Main Line would count as having passed through the station, despite the West Coast Main Line platforms having closed. The station is a junction station like Dore & Totley, however it has been made a branch line station as it is no longer possible for trains on the Main line to stop there.

By this logic, I'm afraid to say that Stonebridge Park doesn't lie on the West Coast Main Line - the West Coast Main Line is merely adjacent to it. The only way I'd count Stonebridge Park is if at one time it had platforms for services using the Main Line, which to the best of my knowledge it hasn't. Even though trains on the West Coast Main Line pass close to Stonebridge Park they don't really pass through it, just adjacent to it. I believe the only stations located on the Watford DC line to have, or had West Coast Main Line platforms are: London Euston; Willesden Junction; Wembley Central; Harrow & Wealdstone; Hatch End; Bushey and Watford Junction but don't rely on this as a definitive source!

I'd be interested to hear what others think of my interpretation of Neil's definition. I accept that the most shaky part of my logic is the last part relating to the Watford DC line, but I've tackled it by using my views on two stations which I know more about and then relating this logic to those located on the Watford DC line.

Please give me your views on this post - I look forward to reading them!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

With Dore and Totley, having not yet passed through that station, I am going to count it as part of the Hope Valley line, and will include it along with others on the route. If I were to get a train from London to Sheffield, I would not count it, even if the station previously had platforms on the MML side.

This does indeed now mean that I am going to have to do the DC lines to get South Hampstead to Harrow and Wealdstone, but it's a small price to pay.

One reason for my definition being as it is, is that I initially started out with the intention of going over every LINE in the country. I soon decided to amend that to simply passing the stations, with "passing through" being loosely-defined. Therefore the whole "counting a station because you can SEE it as you pass it on a separate set of lines" argument is both valid and invalid depending on how strict I want to set my goal.

Suppose there is a double-track line, where the running lines go through all of the stations, except for one in the middle of the route which has an extra pair of lines that go behind the platforms and run round the back of the station. Let's say I'm on a semi-fast service which doesn't stop at this rogue station, and as it passes it goes through on the non-platformed lines. Do I really want to go back over the entire line on a stopper just to "pass through" the station? I think going past on the "avoiding" lines would count in that situation.

Would a service from Reading to Oxford not stopping at Didcot Parkway, going round the avoider count as Didcot Parkway or not? Yes and no!

Member of sweet FA
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

"Therefore the whole "counting a station because you can SEE it as you pass it on a separate set of lines" argument is both valid and invalid depending on how strict I want to set my goal."

You can only SEE the stations if you're looking out of the window at the time, so no looking elsewhere, and no going to the loo!

"Would a service from Reading to Oxford not stopping at Didcot Parkway, going round the avoider count as Didcot Parkway or not? Yes and no!"

Most certainly not, as the Loop is geographically separate from the station. And you would want to get off at Didcot and have a beer with me!
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

tubeguru wrote:Would a service from Reading to Oxford not stopping at Didcot Parkway, going round the avoider count as Didcot Parkway or not? Yes and no!
I'm guessing more no than yes...

Surely a 'visit' should be a stop? (possibly including 'unplanned' stops, for instance if your Reading to Oxford wasn't planned to stop at Didcot Parkway, didn't use the avoider, and happened to get stopped at the station by a signal would count...)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

perkyperky wrote:"... you would want to get off at Didcot ...
Negative captain - it looks a right dump. ;)

Member of sweet FA