National Rail Stations (all of them)

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: National Rail Stations (all of them)

Post by tubeguru »

RichieG wrote:Surely a 'visit' should be a stop?
I'm counting passing through a station without stopping as a "visit", remember?

But yes, I'm now fully made up in my mind that we must be passing through on a platform line to make it count. I know full well Didcot doesn't count if you go round the avoider, but I just thought I'd throw it in.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:However by the 1980's all but the most westerly platform had been demolished, meaning that services using the Midland Main Line can no longer stop at Dore & Totley station, and that today both eastbound and westbound Hope Valley Line services use the one remaining platform. Now using your definition of a "visit" as either arriving at, departing from, or simply passing through a station, I would say that any train passing through the station on either of the two lines would be suitable for your definition, despite their being no platform where the Midland Main Line services could stop at if they wished to do so.
Apologies for being a bit blunt but you seem to have taken a logical full circle in that paragraph. Since Midland services cannot stop at the station, I would state it does not count as a visit unless you take a Hope Valley train. The fact that the Midland runs, in effect, very close to it is neither here nor there.

Good luck with Gainsborough Cental, Sugar Loaf, Coombe Junction, Tees-side Airport, Reddish South, etc. :lol:
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Wanstead wrote:Since Midland services cannot stop at the station, I would state it does not count as a visit unless you take a Hope Valley train. The fact that the Midland runs, in effect, very close to it is neither here nor there.
Exactly - I won't count it unless I'm on a Hope Valley train.

Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

tubeguru wrote:
RichieG wrote:Surely a 'visit' should be a stop?
I'm counting passing through a station without stopping as a "visit", remember?

But yes, I'm now fully made up in my mind that we must be passing through on a platform line to make it count. I know full well Didcot doesn't count if you go round the avoider, but I just thought I'd throw it in.
Note to self: Read messages before posting...

Second note to self: Make more use of the 'sarcastic' smilie :twisted:
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

tubeguru wrote:
perkyperky wrote:"... you would want to get off at Didcot ...
Negative captain - it looks a right dump. ;)
You're not wrong, it's a dump!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

And that bloody power station is always making the rails slippery round there.

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Wanstead wrote: Good luck with Gainsborough Cental, Sugar Loaf, Coombe Junction, Tees-side Airport, Reddish South, etc. :lol:
Visited Gainsboro' Central, Coomble Junc and Reddish South, with a bit of prior planning mind!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tubeguru wrote:And that bloody power station is always making the rails slippery round there.
Had the pleasure of viewing that on Saturday when we stopped at Didcot Parkway on way to Swindon
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

There are actually two power stations at Didcot - one coal-fired (the one nearer the railway), and one gas-fired.

Member of sweet FA
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

tubeguru wrote:There are actually two power stations at Didcot - one coal-fired (the one nearer the railway), and one gas-fired.
Have you ever stopped at East Midlands Parkway? Never mind your Didcots, this is a power station! :)
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

tubeguru wrote:There are actually two power stations at Didcot - one coal-fired (the one nearer the railway), and one gas-fired.
Of all the times I've been past there, I've never knew that. Nice one TG :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

When you take in the Bittern Line, may I recommend you take the short walk from the mainline station at Sheringham to the North Norfolk Railway station, which lies just across the road. It's a particularly nice heritage railway and the steam-hauled journey along the clifftops is beautiful in summer!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Just totalled up my NR visited stations total- and I have visited 1,350 of them! This includes some stations like Workington North and the old Bathgate terminus which are no longer on the map, but visited before they were closed.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tangy wrote:Just totalled up my NR visited stations total- and I have visited 1,350 of them! This includes some stations like Workington North and the old Bathgate terminus which are no longer on the map, but visited before they were closed.
perhaps i should ask you to accompany me when i attempt the world record for all national rail stations open then.?
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

RichieG wrote:The tricky ones will be those only open at certain times, such as on 'match days' etc...

This might interest you (at least from the techie side of things) - at some point (probably not until the easter holidays as that's the next time I've got off work) I'm hoping to look see if the OpenStreetMap data is available in API form or something, so that I can grab the mapping data, and add my own to indicate roads driven and railways travelled on. If it works, I'll let you have access to it somehow (I think it'd be useful for a load of other geeks that I believe some people here know about too) so you can use it. Hopefully it'd be a bit more reliable than Google Maps is for things like this (as GM is really only for showing maps with occasional landmarks, not custom routes and many landmarks...)
Sorry for the massive bump...

Only a year later than planned, this is now available in test-form here: http://stations.stupidstupidity.co.uk.

All NR and LU stations are on there now - well, all according to the spreadsheet that Tangy so very kindly supplied last year, not sure how up to date it is anymore; I don't think there have been any openings in the past year. Hoping to add heritage railways (currently the West Somerset and the Swanage Railways are there) as well as metros and light railways. Not all the stations will be flagged up on the map because I haven't put all the locations on there yet.

It's currently still being tested, but if you want to have a go just message me. I'm afraid you need to be on Facebook to be able to log in to it - this is because I'm hoping to make it a FB app once it's working a bit better.

At the moment it doesn't show a list of stations by user, but this - as well as more data acquisition - is next on my list of things to do, as is making the station selection a bit easier to do... (at the moment you select by TOC, which isn't the easiest way to do it!)

(may also add that if you have your own data in a spreadsheet or something, if you ask nicely and it's not formatted stupidly, I may be able to put that in for you...)

Screenshot:
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.