Interesting item on Ebay

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
juggler
Zone 2

Interesting item on Ebay

Post by juggler »

And no, I'm not selling this myself :) but there is a pre-1977 Piccadilly Line tube map available on Ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true

Looks like an original - I wonder where that's been hiding for 30 years...
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
barrykas
Zone 4

Re: Interesting item on Ebay

Post by barrykas »

juggler wrote:And no, I'm not selling this myself :) but there is a pre-1977 Piccadilly Line tube map available on Ebay here
<panto> Oh no it isn't! </panto> It's clearly from some time between 1979-05-01 and 1986-04-07, as it's got Heathrow Central on it, but not T4, and the Jubilee Line interchange at Green Park.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Liking the perspective shots. Big long line along a platform, anyone?

Anyone?
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Whatever happened to my tube map idea?

Did it get auctioned off in the end?
juggler
Zone 2

Surely

Post by juggler »

It has to be pre-1977 because the Heathrow Terminal 4 station opened in December 77 didn't it... ?
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Right,

Heathrow 123 opened to passenger traffic on the 6th of December 1977.

Heathrow Terminal 4 opened on the 12th of April, 1986.

Therefore, this card was used between December 1977 and April 1986. I suspect that it wasn't used right up to 1986 though as they'd adopted a more modern style by then.

It would appear that someone had better email the seller and tell him that the first person was incorrect on their station opening dates.

By the way, did you know that on the 20th of November 1985, a passenger train in service was sent round the loop by mistake? Good job the track was laid ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

tubeguru wrote:By the way, did you know that on the 20th of November 1985, a passenger train in service was sent round the loop by mistake? Good job the track was laid ...
I can just imagine...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it would appear that someone in the signal box thought it would be funny to give you a sneak preview of the new Terminal 4 route. Still, I guess it means I won't have to get out of the train when we get to Heathrow Central."
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, I sent a pedantic email to the guy selling this and he put my message in the description of the item :-)

I dunno who this third person is who contradicts my dates but the dates I quoted ARE correct.

Here's what he said back to me:

"Hello, Thankyou for taking the time to offer this info, To correct a prior ebayer! there is a 3rd enthusiast, who pretty much substantiates your information, with slight differences in the dates. (I value all your informations, & any fights should take place behind the bike sheds!!!)"

Excellent.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

tubeguru wrote:OK, I sent a pedantic email to the guy selling this and he put my message in the description of the item :-)

I dunno who this third person is who contradicts my dates but the dates I quoted ARE correct.
That would be me, given it shows the Jubilee Line interchange at Green Park, and that didn't open 'til 1979-05-01 ;)

Cheers,

Barry
--
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

On a different note, Green Park is a *terrible* change to do. Especially if you're not the world's best runner.
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

TheFatBuoy wrote:On a different note, Green Park is a *terrible* change to do. Especially if you're not the world's best runner.
I have the same feelings about TCR - although this may be more to do with watching 'American Werewolf in London' at an impressionable age...
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

TheFatBuoy wrote:On a different note, Green Park is a *terrible* change to do. Especially if you're not the world's best runner.
no, its good if you know whats behind the no entry signs, especially if changing between victoria and jubilee lines. its not much different from any standard change at kings cross.

but the travelator kills.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

I'll take it over Charing Cross any day of the week.
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Senji wrote:
I'll take it over Charing Cross any day of the week.
Talking of Charing Cross, is there any logical reason not to go back to calling the Bakerloo Line platforms Trafalgar Square now that the Jubilee Line no longer serves the station, given the Bakerloo and Northern platforms are so far apart?

Having said that, of course, LU encourage changing at Embankment rather than Charing Cross anyway...

Cheers,

Barry
--
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Surely the logical reason not to rename Charing Cross Bakerloo is that tube challengers would then have to visit both of them!