Are you a forum lurker?

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
al
Zone 6

Re: Are you a forum lurker?

Post by al »

You train-centric people are forgetting the humble coach once again! Sadly, Megabus no longer serve Brighton, but National Express still have Funfares on their route. There is still availability all day on the 13th March for £2.50 return, so with your £7.50 Travelcard that's a round tenner! You do need to specify exact coaches.

Beat that! :D
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

al wrote:Beat that! :D
Fine *picks up thrown down gauntlet*

Walk or hitchhike from Brighton to London, then bunk the tube by jumping over the gates/limboing (is that a verb? Firefox spell checker says so) under the luggage gates through the flaps. Total cost, £0.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That beats even me!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

jamesthegill wrote:
al wrote:Beat that! :D
Fine *picks up thrown down gauntlet*

Walk or hitchhike from Brighton to London, then bunk the tube by jumping over the gates/limboing (is that a verb? Firefox spell checker says so) under the luggage gates through the flaps. Total cost, £0.
i beat that do exactly the same mug old lady of pension :twisted: cost -60 quid
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Join BTP or the Met as a special. Get your expenses paid and free travel, and it's legal (or more legal than doing a limbo under the gates)
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Like my daddy said, "If you can fit under it, it's legal"
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

mullardo wrote:Like my daddy said, "If you can fit under it, it's legal"
Or, to quote Homer Simpson: "if you don't see it, it's not illegal!"
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Except that it isn't! You are all forgetting the good old double decker and the excellent value "Explorer" ticket

There are several "Explorer" tickets available depending on area but the one for the Brighton area is the Explorer South East. This great value ticket costs only £6.00 (depending on operator) a day but you can then use it on loads of bus routes throughout the southern counties.

Operators within the scheme include: Metrobus, Brighton & Hove, Stagecoach South, Stagecoach East Kent (incl. Hastings), Eastbourne Buses, Arriva Guildford, Arriva Kent Thameside, Coastal Coaches, First Berkshire and a few others.

Thus you could literally travel from Dover- Portsmouth for £6.00! From Brighton to Croydon is very easy and only require two changes of bus (I have done this route a few times myself so I know it works).

So from Brighton, get route 273 from Churchill Square to Crawley, then change to route 100 to Redhill, then route 405 (London TfL route, Oyster cards valid) into Croydon where you can then change onto Thameslink or Southern into Central London. Or if you wish to continue by bus board route 109 to Brixton.

Explorer tickets are valid at all times, no peak restrictions and you can hop and off as many times as you wish. Ultimate price and flexibility!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

tangy wrote:Except that it isn't! You are all forgetting the good old double decker and the excellent value "Explorer" ticket

There are several "Explorer" tickets available depending on area but the one for the Brighton area is the Explorer South East. This great value ticket costs only £6.00 (depending on operator) a day but you can then use it on loads of bus routes throughout the southern counties.

Operators within the scheme include: Metrobus, Brighton & Hove, Stagecoach South, Stagecoach East Kent (incl. Hastings), Eastbourne Buses, Arriva Guildford, Arriva Kent Thameside, Coastal Coaches, First Berkshire and a few others.

Thus you could literally travel from Dover- Portsmouth for £6.00! From Brighton to Croydon is very easy and only require two changes of bus (I have done this route a few times myself so I know it works).

So from Brighton, get route 273 from Churchill Square to Crawley, then change to route 100 to Redhill, then route 405 (London TfL route, Oyster cards valid) into Croydon where you can then change onto Thameslink or Southern into Central London. Or if you wish to continue by bus board route 109 to Brixton.

Explorer tickets are valid at all times, no peak restrictions and you can hop and off as many times as you wish. Ultimate price and flexibility!
Trust me he knows his stuff i seem to remember somebody coming down to Bournemouth to pick up his 2 certificates and taking me on round journey to Lymington Southampton Salisbury and back to Bournemouth and beer.
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Ok. On the thurday I shall be flying from Shoreham to Manchester, From Manchester to Paris and then from Paris back to Heathrow in time to meet you Friday.

If you haven't guessed i am joking, I am unable to make Comic Relief, but I hope to come to the zone 1 challenge, think i should start with something lighter.
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
palkanetoijala31

Dont forget to register then Mr Mullardo signed the Organiser
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

Am I classed as a lurker?
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

When was your last post before that one? And have you been reading the forum between those two points?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tubeguru wrote:When was your last post before that one? And have you been reading the forum between those two points?
In answer to the first point, 2 months and 2 days exactly (according to the member profile). For your second question only Yorkie knows the answer. Can someone with over 100 posts ever be considered a lurker? Are there any real lurkers on here???? Make your first post here and prove that you exist! (this invite does not apply to fictional members of this forum who have set up joke accounts of people who are not real.... you know who you are!) :D

edit: apparently we have almost as many fake member profiles as "Adult Friend Finder" (tm)
One day I shall return!
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Ok, say THEORETICALLY I wanted to join you on the Comic Relief for the entire day, what steps would i have to take, noting that Comic Relief is in less than 3 weeks