Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

ok Root we're TUBE partners. nothing else. *awkward silence*
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

Ok I think the awkward silence has gone on long enough...! a year shud do it! anyway... seeing as there's various little challenges happening all over the place, is there a way that ON HERE we can have a little calender/schedule of whats happening. not the 275's i'd suggest, but the alternative ones. this would help me for one as I have fleeting interest and occasionally get bored and would go to london if i knew there was one on. your thoughts...?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Admin's answer: I have no idea how to implement a calendar thingy on the forum/site without looking into it.

:)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

no problem. anyone else have a suggestion. Maybe even just a sticky thread "Tube Calender" on the Alternative section, which people can edit and update when new things arise?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

How about this?
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?sr ... google.com

Anyone can view it, and you can edit it and add events if you have a Google account and ask me nicely to allow you :).

Let's just see if it works for a month or two, before deciding whether to keep it.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Just returning to a point raised about TfL being unhelpful to Tube Challengers - at Earl's Court on the last z1 challenge, a station assistant helpfully pointed out to "any zone 1 challengers" which District line train would be leaving first.

Although that's just one man, as opposed to a giant organisation. Smash the system, comrades!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I agree a calendar would be useful and if it can be implemented then great :D
Failing that then just continue to post in the Alternative Challenge section (As Ollie and I have done recently) or any other challenge section as appropriate..
If when you log on each time you "view posts since last visit" then you shouldn't really miss anything anyway.....

As for TfL keeping an eye on this forum, I really don't think the tubechallenge community is of any concern to them whatsoever...
3 Million people a day use the system, so even for our Z1 gathering of 35 people this really is just a piss in the ocean......

Also I have found the TfL staff more than helpful on our attempts...

Three times we have asked the driver at Chesham at get to Moor Park as quickly as possible to meet the Watford bound train and on all occasions they have been more than happy to oblige...

Our support team have asked a driver ready to depart Richmond to wait a couple of minutes until our Richmond bound train arrived.....

2 drivers at Whitechapel expressed a great interest in how our attempt was going and allowed us to video them regarding the Shoreditch debate....

A very nice female driver at Uxbridge agreed to get us to moving as quickly as possible, following a delay in sick being cleared up in one of the carriages....

Upon a mad dash on an evening Z1 at Oxford Circus changing from Central to Bakerloo as we sat down in carriage one the driver opened his door and asked us how we were getting on in the challenge.....

I am sure there have been others that I have forgotten, but in general TfL staff have always appeared genuinally interested in what we are doing... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

Going Underground wrote: If when you log on each time you "view posts since last visit" then you shouldn't really miss anything anyway.....
works well in theory if you log in every week. some of us dont ;)
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Going Underground wrote: Also I have found the TfL staff more than helpful on our attempts...

Three times we have asked the driver at Chesham at get to Moor Park as quickly as possible to meet the Watford bound train and on all occasions they have been more than happy to oblige...

Our support team have asked a driver ready to depart Richmond to wait a couple of minutes until our Richmond bound train arrived.....

2 drivers at Whitechapel expressed a great interest in how our attempt was going and allowed us to video them regarding the Shoreditch debate....

A very nice female driver at Uxbridge agreed to get us to moving as quickly as possible, following a delay in sick being cleared up in one of the carriages....

Upon a mad dash on an evening Z1 at Oxford Circus changing from Central to Bakerloo as we sat down in carriage one the driver opened his door and asked us how we were getting on in the challenge.....

I am sure there have been others that I have forgotten, but in general TfL staff have always appeared genuinally interested in what we are doing... :D
Be very very careful here.

Guiness promote a certain spirit within the World Records and that does not include bending the rules.

Yes - we all do it, hold the odd door open here or there, jump the barrier to go the wrong way down the corridor BUT actually seeking and getting help in such way as to change the (effective) timetable of a train by the driver agreeing to wait is not likely to be seen by Guiness as in the sprit.

If you must do it fine - but don't be so explicit about it. It is a good connection onto a late running train - that's all. Nothing more.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

I agree, in fact I've once booted an old lady off the tube train cos she was moving too slow and therefore putting us behind the timetable ;)
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I can only firmly state that I and Lars have NOT used a forward support team in our attempts. The only support we've had has brought some food and drink and then travelled with us for a while. At one or two occasions we used our support to catch a train number when leaving the train. The worst door holding (out of very few cases) was done by myself when Lars picked up the train number of our preceding train. I probably held the door for around 5 seconds... We have never approached staff in order to speed things up (or slow them down for that matter).
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

moley wrote:
Going Underground wrote: Also I have found the TfL staff more than helpful on our attempts...

Be very very careful here.

Guiness promote a certain spirit within the World Records and that does not include bending the rules.

Yes - we all do it, hold the odd door open here or there, jump the barrier to go the wrong way down the corridor BUT actually seeking and getting help in such way as to change the (effective) timetable of a train by the driver agreeing to wait is not likely to be seen by Guiness as in the sprit.

If you must do it fine - but don't be so explicit about it. It is a good connection onto a late running train - that's all. Nothing more.
I don't think that we've done anything wrong here and a suggestion that we have tried to bend rules is somewhat offensive.

The situation at Richmond on our first attempt the train actually departed ahead of schedule by about one minute, so we missed it. On our second attempt we knew we were on time to make the scheduled departure back out of Richmond so our support team asked the driver not to leave early.

The other times that I have spoken to the driver have been at Chesham when heading to Moor Park. I usually ask the driver to sign our witness statement at Chesham and make sure he gets us to Moor Park on time, it's only a 2 minute connection and some people have been known to miss this one. This could cost you 10 minutes right at the start of the day, and throws your whole schedule out before you've really started.

At Uxbridge we were chatting with the driver whilst sick was being cleared from the train, when she knew we were doing a challenge she said she we try and get some time back as the departure from Uxbridge was delayed.

I think if you actually asked a driver who was on time to try and get you somewhere ahead of schedule by breaking speed limits etc... then maybe you would have a point, but we've never done that :)
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yes perhaps my post was misinterpreted.....

I was just trying to get the point across that TfL are in the most case helpful towards tubechallengers.... And we certainly haven't bent any rules or delayed trains departing...

Our support at Richmond that day was a 70 year old woman :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Soup Dragon - Firstly I never accused anyone of breaking any rules or having done anything wrong -If you interpreted it that way then i'm sorry.
Going Underground wrote:Our support team have asked a driver ready to depart Richmond to wait a couple of minutes until our Richmond bound train arrived.....
Generally if a driver is ready to depart with a green signal then he is on-timetable.

If he was going to leave earlier and you asked him to wait then fine. If her was on timetable and asked him to wait then my original point stands.

Forward support teams are always a dubious point. The rules don't say either way but my guess is officially they are not allowed.