Quiz and game ideas

Your comments and suggestions on this forum are welcome here
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Quiz and game ideas

Post by GuyBarry »

What sorts of quizzes and games would people like to see on the forum in 2014? Here are my picks of 2013:

A Story from the Tube - absolutely hilarious game with masses of scope for originality. All credit to RobbieM both for the original idea and for reviving it after a year's break. I tried to recapture the spirit with the poem and acrostic games but they were less successful. Can anyone come up with a worthy successor?
Counting - obviously I'm heavily involved in this, but I find it amazing that such a simple idea could have given rise to such a fascinating thread. It was a tremendous achievement to get to 1000 and to do so on Christmas Day was the icing on the cake. Long may it continue!
Reverse quiz - this was one of my own invention, and for a while I thought it took off rather well, but then it suddenly stopped. Time for a revival?
The Journey - I haven't actually taken part in this one but I'm enjoying reading the increasingly surreal developments. No idea where it's all heading though...
Google Street View Treasure Hunt - I'm quite proud that I managed to get even one of these, since I've got absolutely no idea how anyone comes up with the answers to most of them. Seems to have stopped as well though.
Rare Entries quizzes - of the ones I took part in, I think the Raven's quiz on London was the most interesting content-wise, though it dragged on a bit too long for my liking. Tractakid's was the best organized but maybe some of the questions could have been a bit more challenging.
Tubeblock/Trainblock - another one of my own invention (with some help from The Orange One), but probably not really suitable for the forum since it's essentially a two-player game. Would be nice to find some other venue for playing it though.

Google and Wikipedia have more or less killed off the "straight" quiz, which makes it ever harder to come up with ideas for new ones. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Quiz and game ideas

Post by GuyBarry »

Well I did ask for ideas, but I didn't get any, so I threw a few in to see how they'd fare. It was fun. Most of it didn't work but I think "Grumbleweed" could be tweaked into a vaguely sensible game (maybe with a different title!). There were a couple of other interesting ideas thrown in as well.

I think it might be a good idea if there was an area where game ideas could be tried out and discussed prior to their full adoption. There are clearly a number of very inventive people here, but it's hard to know how ideas will go down with the wider membership without trying them out first. (Of course, there are a substantial number of members who aren't interested in playing games at all.)

Tumbleweed clearly captured the imagination when it was first introduced, and has a dedicated group of followers, but after two-and-a-half years it's inevitably a bit tired. It would be nice to come up with something that engaged the membership in a similar fashion.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

tractakid wrote:Oi! Leave Tumbleweed out of this!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:
tractakid wrote:Oi! Leave Tumbleweed out of this!
Haha, where did I originally write this? :D
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Possibly one of my favourite things ever said on this forum, and one I will continue to requote throughout this Tumbleweed-related argument.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.