Main website

Post by tractakid »

Could do with a bit of an update? The tube challenge 07 is still there :P
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Main website

Post by tubeguru »

Yes, I am aware of that, but I don't really consider the main website to be important. The forum is the main focus of the site, and the information is now in various other places (Wikipedia, Geoff etc.). The main website is superfluous in my opinion. I may delete it all one day and just keep the forum.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tractakid wrote:Could do with a bit of an update? The tube challenge 07 is still there :P
I've thought that as well. People may think that the forum hasn't been used since 2007.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That is why I would like to get rid of the main website and just have the forum.

As you have brought it up, I may make moves to attend to this matter in the coming days.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Hopefully you'll download everything into an archive before you delete it. Or just put it in a hidden directory on this website. It'd be a shame to lose that stuff, old and obsolete though it is.

I agree that it doesn't need to be on the front page any more. The front page could instead become a directory of Tube Challenge resources (with a prominent link to this forum, of course). You mentioned Wikipedia and Geoff's website already, but Scrxisi also has some stuff online, and I noticed Tangy made a page for the DLR times recently as well. I'm sure there are others.

While we're on the subject - when will this tubeforum.co.uk/tubechallenge.com thing be resolved? If we're sticking with the former, we should change our logo accordingly (and remove the East London Line colour while we're at it). I can do a bit of graphics design and I'd be happy to have a go at something if requested.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Root wrote:The front page could instead become a directory of Tube Challenge resources (with a prominent link to this forum, of course). You mentioned Wikipedia and Geoff's website already, but Scrxisi also has some stuff online, and I noticed Tangy made a page for the DLR times recently as well. I'm sure there are others.
This is a great idea. DIdn't Matt take down his pages though, the 'top times' and all that? What's the link to Martin's pages?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Hmmm, interesting.

OK, what we should do is get a list together of all the resources the site can link to. Sounds like a good idea to me.

The domain name is Chris's doing. He will have to respond to what is happening with that. As for the logo, Geoff did the original one you see at the top-left of the screen. Maybe we need a new one ...

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Raven wrote:
tractakid wrote:Could do with a bit of an update? The tube challenge 07 is still there :P
I've thought that as well. People may think that the forum hasn't been used since 2007.
Which is exactly what I thought when I first encountered the site.

Keeping the website is important. A forum on its own without any content to read beforehand is less likely to encorage newcomers.

What I fully understand is the need not to maintain the website. Therefore, what I think should be done, is exactly what you are saying. Link to resources that are kept up to date, with an introduction, containing some basic tube challenge info that will not become out of date.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Agreed. A front page with links to the forum, geoff, wikipedia, Martins website and others would be good. Along with a new logo!
The King is back! Long live The King!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am currently writing all the "Top Times" threads into HTML format and hosting them on my own domain. I have written and uploaded the pages for DLR, NLR/LO, all lines and Tramlink challenges, others like Zone 1, bottle, mouse etc. are work in progress and will be uploaded when they are ready.

The main front page for this will be at http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge but at the moment will point to the main directory as this page is under construction.

However, the pages that are uploaded are as follows:

DLR: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... dlrtop.htm
NLR: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... nlltop.htm
Tramlink: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... ramtop.htm
All Lines: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... nestop.htm (currently only shows the times for post ELL attempts, am sorting through the attempts that included the ELL as my next step.)
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.