tube challenge history updated

Your comments and suggestions on this forum are welcome here
palkanetoijala31

tube challenge history updated

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Can we have the 2000-present day tube challenger history updated or can we suggest we will update for you. :?: Karahan looks like he is 10 and apart from jack Welsby and geoff marshall and neil i dont recognise anybody who is featured.Surely the kings of the network the Brown family should get a mention all 6 including Starkey should have a profile.Martin Hazel as well,Hakan and Lars,and i think avoid being modest i should have a page on me as well.Any others please step up to the plate.?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: tube challenge history updated

Post by tubeguru »

Oh God, here we go again ...

http://tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=203

We discussed this briefly in the above thread two years ago. The simple answer is that I just don't have the time to even attempt to collate ALL the attemps we've had in the last four years. I have always been of the opinion that the forum is much easier to update than the website, hence the "latest times for various challenges" threads which are updatable by anyone who wants to do it.

But website content itself is not going to be updated any time soon and one day WILL disappear, leaving just the forum as the main focus.

One idea I did have was to put the existing history onto the forum in a new section and then allow you lot a free reign to update it as you go, but the trouble with that is that it will duplicate a lot of write-ups that have been posted to the forum already. I'm frankly surprised that anyone has the time available up update four years of challenge attemps and I wouldn't recommend anyone bothers trying it either.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Might as well just make the main URL, be it tubeforum or tubechallenge, point to the forums. We can just make a couple of introductory threads, like "New to Tube Challenging? Start here!", to explain to new people what it is that we are doing. The main site really doesn't have much functionality other than that. There is also a Wikipedia entry for Tube Challenging with a more accurate history of the record holders.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Exactly. The website content here is mainly of historical interest only.

Member of sweet FA
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

I should make the point that I don't claim the Wikipedia page to be complete, definitive or without error (despite the best efforts of those of us who have worked on it) and any corrections, additions etc. to the historical data would be very valuable.

While on the subject of historical data, I note that the site http://www.jonnylyon.net/tubechallenge/ seems no longer to be live and there must be a danger of the data stored there being lost.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Cool, ta v much!
palkanetoijala31

tubeguru wrote:Oh God, here we go again ...

http://tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=203

We discussed this briefly in the above thread two years ago. The simple answer is that I just don't have the time to even attempt to collate ALL the attemps we've had in the last four years. I have always been of the opinion that the forum is much easier to update than the website, hence the "latest times for various challenges" threads which are updatable by anyone who wants to do it.

But website content itself is not going to be updated any time soon and one day WILL disappear, leaving just the forum as the main focus.

One idea I did have was to put the existing history onto the forum in a new section and then allow you lot a free reign to update it as you go, but the trouble with that is that it will duplicate a lot of write-ups that have been posted to the forum already. I'm frankly surprised that anyone has the time available up update four years of challenge attemps and I wouldn't recommend anyone bothers trying it either.
Well seeing as u r on the 4 people featured you would say that Neil
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I agree with Andi in so much as our homepage isn't a very accurate view of the current Tube Challenge community and what has been going on in the last few years.... To show photos and mention a couple of cheeky chappies that aborted on their one and only try doesn't really compare to the number of serious completions and GWR attempts that have been made by many people on the forum....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Thanx Kevin for Example Without the Brown Family whom should have an updated page of their own there be hardly anyone now doing the challenges.For example Geoff,Neil and jack Welsby are presumably retired the others on that bit are either not profilic tube challengers or keep quiet on the forum.Im not suggesting u do anything different Neil but maybe like the Who r u tell us.? which i find extremely interesting whom thought that up.We have a topic that allows people to update as they feel free Matt site could also be useful for example.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Well seeing as u r on the 4 people featured you would say that Neil
I don't think he's trying to preserve history and make it look like him and Geoff are the only ones doing it still, I think he's genuinely given up on the site.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I wouldn't say "given up on it" as I still actively run the forum, but it's too far gone to do anything about updating the history now.
Who r u tell us.? which i find extremely interesting whom thought that up.
That would be me, as I started the thread and er, explained that I had the idea in the first post! :roll:

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

I was being sarcastic a little but it was a good idea perhaps a similar thread that people can add their tube challenge history might be good as well.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

scrxisi wrote:
jbom1 wrote:While on the subject of historical data, I note that the site http://www.jonnylyon.net/tubechallenge/ seems no longer to be live and there must be a danger of the data stored there being lost.
I have got all the data from Jonny's site on my database server as I am currently re-writing the site. It's not fully functional yet but is enough so to go live now if Jonny's site is gone forever??
Hi,

I havent been on the forum for a while.

The guy who is lending me web space is having problems with the supplier, hence the site being down atm. I did not intend to close it until scrxisi was ready to open his (if at all). I have no idea if or when the site will be back up, and Ive a feeling that due to my recent absence from the forum (this is the first time ive been on in about 6 weeks really!) I've probably gone out-of-date somewhere along the line. Im sure scrxisi could give me details of this if you wanted it back though.

Those of you who cared will also notice that the Photo Quiz tables are also down and are, incidentally, completely out of date on my computer too. If you want me to try and update these then I will, but I am currently hard pushed for time with it so it may take a couple of weeks. Alternatively, if someone else wants to run the PQ table (and if someone else hasnt taken that on already in my absence) they are of course quite welcome. As far as I know scrxisi doesnt plan to include Photo Quiz tables on his site, so perhaps just posting it on the forum is most practical for the time being.

Sorry again for my lack of contact and website, etc.

Jonny
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

It sounds to me like a wiki would be a good fit for documenting this sort of thing - it isn't dependent on one person maintaining it, and isn't constrained by the sort of 'linear' nature of the forum, if you see what I mean. (I'm not sure I even see what I mean myself...) The one I set up at http://tubechallenge.pbwiki.com/ is still there for people to play with, and I seem to remember someone else setting one up which was a bit further along the path of having actual useful content in it - link, anyone?

One thing I'd strongly advise against is using the Wikipedia article for keeping any definitive information on - it's liable to be stomped on at any moment by a spoilsport admin claiming it's "not notable" - and in fact one of the guiding principles of Wikipedia is 'no original research', so that article should really only be summarising stuff which is available elsewhere on the internet.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Matt, your site is looking good, must have taken you ages researching all the dates that the various times were set.
One day I shall return!