London Overground Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: London Overground Challenge

Post by tractakid »

Just as a side note, my attempt actually finished on the 22/12/2012.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

tractakid wrote:Just as a side note, my attempt actually finished on the 22/12/2012.
As did GirlTube on the same day.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

My son wanted another crack at the Overground Challenge, and today was the only day during the school Easter holidays that we could both make. We only definitely decided to go last night; hence, there was not much opportunity to refine our previous planned route.

Last time we just failed to make one run, which on another occasion in the pre-SLL days we had done in a shorter available time (on paper). Given our previous attempt had been just before Christmas, we blamed our failure on Christmas shoppers clogging up the pavements, and this time had hopes of making it and knocking around 15 minutes off our final time. However, it was not to be, as the only seriously late running train thwarted our chances completely. Everything else worked very smoothly, with some very tight connections made with greater ease than last time. In fact, a tantalising opportunity presented itself as a result of an early arrival which we weren't expecting, from which we just failed to make a connection, which had we made it should have taken significant time off our record.

The only other down point was discovering that the toilets at New Cross we usually use were closed for repair, which was not fun as we had been relying on them.

In the end we finished in 6h 01m 40s. That was 51 seconds faster than last time, but really just a result of our final train running slightly closer to time than the one in December.

We kept a close eye out for the Birthday Royal Challengers at the numerous Royal Overground stations, but failed to spot any.