London Overground Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: London Overground Challenge

Post by greatkingrat »

One for Matt - could a ELL train ever be diverted to East Croydon if there was some sort of problem preventing access to West Croydon?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

All times now updated on the NLL tab at explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Should challengers wish to do this challenge including Battersea Park I will list such times in a separate table to those excluding it (should one claim a valid time).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

tangy wrote:All times now updated on the NLL tab at explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge
Doesn't seem to be showing for me any changes yet.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I should have one (or even 2) times on Friday with BAK.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Nigel wrote:
tangy wrote:All times now updated on the NLL tab at explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge
Doesn't seem to be showing for me any changes yet.
Oops, it is showing as updated on my local webpage...clearly need to upload it to general webspace for you lot to see it. Will do so now!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Now that the school holidays have started, my son and I will be having our first go today at the 82 station configuration. Our planned route has a succession of very tight connections, any one of which could go wrong. It also looks rather wet at the moment, which will make some of the runs rather interesting.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Nigel wrote:Now that the school holidays have started, my son and I will be having our first go today at the 82 station configuration. Our planned route has a succession of very tight connections, any one of which could go wrong. It also looks rather wet at the moment, which will make some of the runs rather interesting.
Good luck and stay dry, it's horrible out there!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

We're back and managed to complete in a time of 6h 02m 31s.

There was a mixture of good and bad luck throughout the day. Obviously we kept encountering the ELL line at various points and noticed that on one occasion the train behind ours had been cancelled and later that the train ahead of ours had been - so we feared that we would hit this cancelled train in the system at some point - but we didn't.

With the new configuration the route was different to when we last tried it. One of the non-LO services we tried for the first time let us down with late running, and we should have missed our connection except it was held when we were seen running along the platform towards it. Most of our outside runs were in the afternoon when the rain had eased a bit compared with the torrents of the morning. The main problem on a couple of these runs were Christmas shoppers completely blocking the pavement, which cost us one key connection which we have made in a similar time before.

We also nearly didn't make our start train on time, as LT tickect machines today were not-selling off-peak day travelcards when they should have been after 9.30am (I wonder how much money that has made for TfL), and we struggled to find an open ticket office without a mega queue,since I baulked at paying peak rate Z1-9 + Watford for myself and my son.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I've scrapped my morning attempt tomorrow, I haven't prepared properly and I won't get enough sleep. I'll go down tomorrow a bit later, and do some challenges of some sort, possibly trying to do the Overground using the evening BAK train.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote:Now that the school holidays have started, my son and I will be having our first go today at the 82 station configuration.
I took the current configuration as being 82 stations from Tangy's top times site, but yesterday when we were doing it we couldn't get it to add up to 82. Now in relative calm, I've counted and double counted and I reckon that the London Overground in its current configuration (counting Willesden Junction high and low level as one, and not counting Battersea Park) has 83 stations, not 82.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Yes, I agree with 83 not including Battersea Park.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Maybe someone would like to list them here.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Going well so far. Tweeting @tractakid
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The first All Stations Overground challenge completed in a disappointing 7:30:57
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Nigel wrote:
Nigel wrote:Now that the school holidays have started, my son and I will be having our first go today at the 82 station configuration.
I took the current configuration as being 82 stations from Tangy's top times site, but yesterday when we were doing it we couldn't get it to add up to 82. Now in relative calm, I've counted and double counted and I reckon that the London Overground in its current configuration (counting Willesden Junction high and low level as one, and not counting Battersea Park) has 83 stations, not 82.
I counted Willesden Junction as being one whole station, not separate high and low level. Will amend the webpage.

EDIT: Top times website now updated with the recent attempts.

Tangy.