90%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 20

jonny
Zone 6

All Lines Challenge

Post by jonny »

This debate might seem rather bizarre to some of the newer people on here, and it probably has already been discussed several times: should we include the DLR in the ALC?

If I remember correctly.... from the time before the Browns and that came along to the forum and gave tube challenge a facelift ( :) ) the DLR was conventionally included in the All Lines challenge. Whilst with hindsight this 'rule' seems rather bizarre to me, does anyone see any logic in including it?

I believe that recently people have not been including the DLR (and fair play to them) but I thought it would be nice to have some consistency - so Im setting up this poll. We may have had this debate before, so sorry if we have, but this will give me something definitive to use with the new 11 line configuration on http://www.jonnylyon.net/tubechallenge .

Get voting, and posting.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I thought that the situation was that the DLR was not necessary in an ALC, but was desirable due to it's connection with the ELL?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

The way I see it, is tat the DLR is not a tube line. The DLR arrived in the late 80's and although it shares the ticketing structure with LU, it doesnt share tracks or trains. In my opinion, the DLR shouldnt be included, but can be used if one wants to as means from getting from one line to another.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I have voted to exclude it, however, I still think that we should have two categories of all line, one including DLR and one excluding DLR but nobody else seems to like the idea!
One day I shall return!
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I was thinking of something like that. I was thinking if people wanted to do the DLR, then they could. If they had a route that involved the DLR, then they could either submit that time including the DLR (12 lines) or without the DLR (still travelling on the DLR but not including it so 11 lines).
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

It's because it's weird having two records that are so similar, because it's not kept as simple as it could be.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I have to say I agree with most of your comments on here (ie the DLR should not be included), though I didn't realise the reason behind using the DLR, which Steevoo has now kindly explained.

Ah well, keep voting if you wish... :P
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

I think you could even make it a tube map all lines challenge, including both the London Overground and the DLR.
dudey
Zone 5

Re: All Lines Challenge

Post by dudey »

Hello,

I'd like to report my attempt today at the all-new all lines challenge (11 lines). Like i'd said in my write up of the challenge evening we had last week, I felt my route could do fairly well with some much better luck. So starting today at Farringdon and finishing at Green Park, my time was a reasonable...

39 mins 46 seconds

:D
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Well done Matt, under 40 mins comparable to the first sub 4 minute mile :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Great Time Matt well done! :)
That time will take some beating! :shock: :x
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

I feel I'm probably teasing you all a bit by not saying much :P

I'd slightly rejigged the start of my route to include the well-known trick of waiting at Farringdon for the correct sequence of trains to come up on the board. But actually, when I got to Farringdon and quickly popped out to get some water for the trip, I got back on the platform and saw that the train in was the first of the exact sequence i needed! Hastily jumping on and just about getting my stopwatch out in time, I started on my way and of course all my changes were very easy going up there. When I headed underground at Liverpool Street the connections just got scarily good. I got to Bank and on my way down to the drain there were people coming up the travelator so I pegged it down and just made a train, which makes it the first time i've not had to wait for one there!

So with that whole rubbish section of the network out of the way, it was fast and furious to get the other 6 lines done. After getting lost at Embankment last time, I'd popped by there on my way to the start to make sure I'd know where I was going, and once there this time I had only a 1 minute wait for a District line even though according to the service status at the time there severe delays on this line!

The rest of my connections were simply unbelievable, I only waited for one train at Oxford Circus and the rest of the time they were either already in or just coming. So with the watch ticking towards that 40 minute mark I arrived at the Picadilly platforms of Picadilly Circus, but having an eastbound train close its doors on me, I thought the 40 minute time was beaten. Just then, in comes a Westbound and as i got on and watched the seconds go by I just hoped the driver would get a move on! He/she obviously did, and that final leg to Green Park only took 69 seconds!

Anyway, in such a short challenge i've probably given away a lot of my route in there, but if anyone wants to see my timings i'd be happy to show them :D
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Flaming Nora, good work mate! I personally can't see myself getting that record any time soon.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Wow.... that's a cracking good time, and had it been set by one of the dodgier members of this forum I might not have believed it. :wink: steps back and waits for dodgy members to hurl abuse at me
I think this will prove to be a very tough time to crack.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Anthony tut tut baiting dodgy members w***** might decide to come back and say hello Congratulations Dudey i think that will be a very hard time to beat for All Lines.Speaking as a now new record holder myself its a good feeling.