All Lines, double attempt

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Senji
Zone 3

All Lines, double attempt

Post by Senji »

So, as you may remember, I left the Horse and Groom on Friday to do the All Lines.

I actually did it out and back, so two attempts:

Outbound: 1 hour 6 minutes 18 seconds
Oxford Circus --Victoria-- Green Park --Piccadilly-- Piccadilly Circus --Bakerloo-- Embankment --Northern-- Waterloo --Jubilee-- Southwalk --Jubilee-- Waterloo --W&C-- Bank --Central-- Liverpool Street --Metropolitan-- Aldgate --Circle-- Liverpool Street --Hammersmith & City-- Aldgate East --District-- Whitechapel --East London-- Shadwell

Return: 1 hour 4 minutes 56 seconds
Shadwell --East London-- Whitechapel --Hammersmith & City-- Aldgate East --District-- Tower Hill --Circle-- Aldgate --Metropolitan-- Liverpool Street --Central-- Bank --W&C-- Waterloo --Jubilee-- Southwalk --Jubilee-- Waterloo --Northern-- Embankment --Bakerloo-- Piccadilly Cirus --Piccadilly-- Green Park --Victoria-- Victoria

Hell is waiting at Aldgate for any Circle line train, and seeing two Metropolitans leave before you get one; which is what I got on the outbound route. On the return I'd evidently got to the point where the service frequency starts to cut back after the rush-period and my left leg was aching. If I'd run just slightly faster in Liverpool Street then it might have been a new record time, as I'd've got the previous W&C train.

On both runs I had a very long wait for a W&C, and I almost gave up on the return run at that point.

First time I've ever used the shortcut from the Bakerloo to the Piccadilly at Piccadilly Circus -- it's not a route I usually take!

I'd like to have a go at the Return route again (that being the direction that I intended the route being used in), starting early enough that I can get the Rush-Hour train frequency (the odd delay in tunnels isn't as bad for this as long delays on platforms, I think).

On the other hand, I think the Aldgate triangle thing is a bad idea, and I'm beginning to produce a new route that starts South at Shadwell...
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Those routes look alright, Senji. Good luck for your next attempt. I have had a route for this for a few weeks now, and will soon be attempting it myself!

Watch out! Compared to me, there's nobody faster!

(Except for Erin, Peter, Geoff, Neil, Hakan and Patrick....)
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
G Force
Zone 3

Re: All Lines, double attempt

Post by G Force »

Senji wrote:Outbound: 1 hour 6 minutes 18 seconds
Oxford Circus --Victoria-- Green Park --Piccadilly-- Piccadilly Circus --Bakerloo-- Embankment --Northern-- Waterloo --Jubilee-- Southwalk --Jubilee-- Waterloo --W&C-- Bank --Central-- Liverpool Street --Metropolitan-- Aldgate --Circle-- Liverpool Street --Hammersmith & City-- Aldgate East --District-- Whitechapel --East London-- Shadwell

Return: 1 hour 4 minutes 56 seconds
Shadwell --East London-- Whitechapel --Hammersmith & City-- Aldgate East --District-- Tower Hill --Circle-- Aldgate --Metropolitan-- Liverpool Street --Central-- Bank --W&C-- Waterloo --Jubilee-- Southwalk --Jubilee-- Waterloo --Northern-- Embankment --Bakerloo-- Piccadilly Cirus --Piccadilly-- Green Park --Victoria-- Victoria
Both of your routes require luck around the SSLs, which rather decreases your chances of getting a good time. I would advise a route where you can know the order in which the SSLs are coming before you get on the first train.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

what are SSLs?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Sub Surface Lines.

Metropolitan, Circle, H&C, District, East London Line.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Tubeguru is straight in like a hawk!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

1 hour, 31 minutes - like a hawk!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Faster than I can manage, and everyone knows that I spend far too much time checking this forum! That's sufficiently hawk-like to warrant the Crunchy Saviour "Like A Hawk" endorsement.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

I think I;ve just convinced myself that while starting on the Drain looks like a good idea on paper; it doesn't work in actual routes.