31st July - DLR 20th Anniversary Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tubeguru wrote:What you need is to realise how silly it is all becoming. :)
Oh I don't know its been rather dull the last couple of weeks.... :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

scrxisi wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:We didn't actually travel to Docklands to do the run!
We did it in sunny Worthing (well actually, cold, damp & cloudy Worthing)
You didn't go and build a replica docklands in your back garden did you?

And if asking this is frowned upon I apologise but I'm struggling to get a route under two hours that doesn't involves a 0 minute transfer or ambitious sprint in it. Am I rubbish at route planning or is the evening timetable the cause?
I've got a sub 2 hour route that gives us ample time to do the Gallions Reach/KGV run, and has several interesting transfers...I've sent a lackey to do some research this week, most of the information I've garnered so far has been from the net.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

scrxisi wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:We didn't actually travel to Docklands to do the run!
We did it in sunny Worthing (well actually, cold, damp & cloudy Worthing)
You didn't go and build a replica docklands in your back garden did you?

And if asking this is frowned upon I apologise but I'm struggling to get a route under two hours that doesn't involves a 0 minute transfer or ambitious sprint in it. Am I rubbish at route planning or is the evening timetable the cause?
You should see my 1:32 scale model of The Millennium Dome, it looks great beside the bizzie lizzies :)

As for your route planning, yes you are rubbish, I now have two routes that are potentially inside the existing record! 8)
One day I shall return!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Soup Dragon wrote: As for your route planning, yes you are rubbish, I now have two routes that are potentially inside the existing record! 8)
Oh no you don't! I am not leetting my challenge time go without a fight, expect me there to defend the title! :twisted:
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tangy wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote: As for your route planning, yes you are rubbish, I now have two routes that are potentially inside the existing record! 8)
Oh no you don't! I am not leetting my challenge time go without a fight, expect me there to defend the title! :twisted:
Be afraid, be very afraid :twisted:
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Soup Dragon wrote:You should see my 1:32 scale model of The Millennium Dome, it looks great beside the bizzie lizzies :)
Sorry, I can't help myself here, I just have to tell you a true story from my life. At the age of two, in the summer of 1999, my daughter and I went to look at the Millenium Dome (my first DLR ride BTW). At the time my daughter was two years old. Over the following months I reminded her of this several times - I even had her declaring proudly "Millenium Dome" when I showed her a tourist map with a drawing of the dome on it. Anyway, the following winter she went to her 2½ year check-up. One of the "tests" was to expose the child to a box of toys and, presumably, see what they did. She immediately picked up one of these rubber balls with spikes on, resembling a WW2 mine, and proudly announced - "Millenium Dome". I spent the next few minutes explaning to the nurse what it was all about...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Soup Dragon wrote: You should see my 1:32 scale model of The Millennium Dome, it looks great beside the bizzie lizzies :)
If only the jewel thieves had had one of those, but that is a story not for this fourm :wink:
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

me Soup Dragon and Dr Who tried are DLR run from gallions reach to King George V the times were:

Soup Dragon - 7:53
Dr Who - 8:01
Ping Pon-8:08
One has lost the game !!!!!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Regarding these record beating routes, either there's some bullhickey going on or people are planning on exploiting secret wormholes in the East London area as I can't for the live of me get a time below 1hr57 minutes.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No, they're just dedicated saddos, I mean enthusiasts who are determined to do well. ;)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jamesthegill wrote:Regarding these record beating routes, either there's some bullhickey going on or people are planning on exploiting secret wormholes in the East London area as I can't for the live of me get a time below 1hr57 minutes.
Who needs wormholes when you have the Tardis. Dr Who is therefore odds on favourite to win :D

Initially the route I planned was around 1h51m, but with a little bit of research I managed to find a couple of routes that I think could beat the record. Don't forget that you can start wherever you like, we are meeting at Poplar and from here you can travel to your starting station, as long as you start between 7:00-7:30pm that is the window allowed. There is nothing to stop you using National rail, bus or tube if this will help you get around quicker, of course you must at arrive or depart by DLR train at all stations (i.e. passing through Canning Town by Jubilee line would not count as a visit to the DLR station).

Looking forward to meeting all fellow saddos on 31st July!
One day I shall return!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Actually, looking at a few hints about previous routes, I might be able to beat the record if the connections are good.

Although it does involve going via Archway.
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

jamesthegill wrote:Actually, looking at a few hints about previous routes, I might be able to beat the record if the connections are good.

Northern Line Zone 3 Archway...?
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

sweek wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:Actually, looking at a few hints about previous routes, I might be able to beat the record if the connections are good.

I keep my cards close to my chest, so I refuse to answer that ;)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jamesthegill wrote:
sweek wrote:

I keep my cards close to my chest, so I refuse to answer that ;)
Well my route involes Kentish Town and the North London Line, how cunning is that :?:
One day I shall return!